HID headlights not working properly- Please help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > HID headlights not working properly- Please help

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
cheef0216
2009 WK 

HID headlights not working properly- Please help

Hi everyone,

I have an 09 WK with stock HID headlights. A few weeks ago I noticed a drastic difference in my nighttime visibility. It seem like the lights are pointing straight down in front of the Jeep and the auto-leveling feature is working very little or not at all. I had it into the dealer last week as it is still under warranty and they needed to replace the seal on my tranny pan so I asked them to check out the headlights while it was in. They told me everything checked out and the lights are working as designed.

I am convinced they are not functionally properly and was curious if anyone on JF had any advice on what I can check/test before I make another appt to take it back in.

I appreciate your help in advance.

Mike

Unread 11-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
akray87
2008 WK 

I had the same problem with my 08. Replaced the front sensor in the front wheel well and they are working properly again. I unbolted both rods and determined the back one if moved manually with the lights on adjusted the lights up and down. The front one did not. Bought the sensor from my local Jeep dealer for 131.00 and did the job at home. No more problems.
akray87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
tomg2k

HID Headlights intermittent issues

I am experiencing the same issue described by cheef0216 and wondered if and how you solved the problem, or if others have experienced this.

The self-leveling HID headlights on my 2009 Jeep Gr Cherokee V8 (non-hemi) only intermittently have this problem of the dim lights pointing almost straight down.

The last time it happened was on a very rainy night and I wondered if the sensors were confused by the large water drops. It is downright dangerous when this happens.

My jeep dealer claims they never heard of this problem and it is difficult to troubleshoot when functioning properly.

Thanks,
Tom G.
tomg2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #4
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

Where are the sensors in the wheel wells? One of my headlights does this occasionally -- mostly when it's colder outside.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
cheef0216
2009 WK 

Tom-

When I first took my GC in, the dealer said they were not able to locate a problem. A few days later, I took it back in again and asked that they look at it again. I did some research before my 2nd trip in and found there is a sensor on the rear axle that might be causing the problem. When i told the dealer they looked at me as if i was crazy and said they have never heard of such a thing.

2 days later, the dealer called me back and said they corrected the issue. Turns out it WAS the sensor on the rear axle that was bad. I am looking at my work order now from the dealer and it says they replaced " Rear Sensor Assembly- Part number 55079006AD"

Tell your dealer that you want them to take a look at/replace that part number as I would bet that is the root of your problem.

I hope this helps and let us know what the outcome is.

Mike
Unread 12-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
tomg2k

Mike,

Thank you. I will give you an update in a couple weeks.

Much appreciated!

Tom
tomg2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
Burner
2008 WK 

When I had that happen to my 08 they had to recal the whole truck to get it working right.
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

It looks like there are sensors for each axle and a control module. http://www.justanswer.com/jeep/4fs44...e-limited.html
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
akray87
2008 WK 

In the front right wheel well it's a small box with a four inch or so rod attached to it left of the front coil. On the rear if you look under the vehicle in front of the back right tire you'll see the same set up. There aren't any sensors on the left side of my GC. Prior to replacing the front sensor, mine would adjust all the way down. Sometimes they would also point so far up in the air I would turn off street lights when sitting at a red light. Once I replaced the sensor, when I start the vehicle the lights now bow down then go to their normal position every time I start it up.
akray87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.