Hemi vs 4.7L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Hemi vs 4.7L

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-02-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
YellowTJ06

Hemi vs 4.7L

I'm looking to buy a 2006 Grand Cherokee in the near future and I'm debating about whether to get the Hemi 5.7 or the v8 4.7? Our plan in to two our TJ and jetski's with it, but also down the road we are considering a 21-23 ft boat. I'm sure the 4.7 will perform just fine, but was wondering if the Hemi was worth the extra money for better towing performance or if it was just underkill? Any advice would be appreciated.

YellowTJ06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2007, 05:42 AM   #2
crod

i could be wrong because i havent actually owned one yet.(looking)

but it seems like to me the 4.7 is kind of a waste of time without hardly any noticable diff. in mpg.....
crod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2007, 10:04 AM   #3
HurriJeff
2013 WK 

As someone with plenty of experience towing boats.. even a 21 ft boat will be heavy behind either engine. If your only towing lets say 10 miles to a ramp and launching only the 4.7 will "do". If your planning on going more than that espcially if you will be doing it more than say once a year go ahead and get the 5.7. Mine tows a 25 ft inflatable with little trouble at all but its only about 3000Lbs. My biggest problem is stopping that much weight. The WK's brakes are good for its own weight but not so great with 3000 Lbs. I would say that anything over 2000Lbs should have its own brakes.

As far as fuel economy.. I think its actuall only 2 or 3 miles per gallon better with the 4.7.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold

Last edited by HurriJeff; 09-04-2007 at 04:29 PM..
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
ajmorell

Haven't driven the 5.7 but I was very unimpressed with the power from the 4.7 in the WK. If you are going to tow your TJ, get the 5.7 or the CRD and make sure you have a trailer with brakes on it.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2007, 10:24 AM   #5
garsarno

When we evaluated the 2007 in 12/06, the dealer gave us the Hemi first to drive Then we drove the 4.7 and, after driving the 4.7 for 3 minutes, took the Hemi. Never looked back since...
garsarno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2007, 10:54 AM   #6
YellowTJ06

Thanks for the info and more personal stories would really help. Of course we're leaning towards to Hemi but just wanted to be sure we weren't overkilling the situation.
YellowTJ06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
zjkid
1997 ZJ 

im not sure if you know this but the hemi is actually cheaper for chrysler to produce than the 4.7.
Unread 09-03-2007, 06:11 PM   #8
05HemiQuadII

Not sure what exactly you are looking to buy, but I have an extremely clean 05 hemi limited,4100 miles, that I need to sell badly. PM me if you might be interested
05HemiQuadII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2007, 07:47 PM   #9
Laredo Man
2006 WK 

4.7 vs hemi

I own a 2006 GC with the 4.7. I have not driven a GC with the hemi but I'm sure it performs better with the hemi. I look at it this way. The 4.7 is rated to tow 6500 lbs. The 5.7 is rated to tow 7200 lbs. and they are both rated to tow a 30 foot trailer. The 4.7 develops 305 ft.lbs of torque @ 3600 rpm. The hemi develops 375 ft.lbs of torque @ 4000 rpm. Since the 4.7 develops its max. torque at alower rpm it should tow almost as good as the hemi and this is proven by only 700 lbs difference in tow capacity. Judging by the posts I've read on this forum, the 4.7 gets approx. 2 mpg better fuel milage. Coupled with the fact that the hemi runs much better on premium gas, there is a difference of about $10.00 per tank full. It all depeds what you want to do with your WK. For me the 4.7 is enough. If your not stuck on the "It's got a hemi" attitude I think the 4.7 will perform fine. I also like it's more modern overhead cam design. Of course I'm slightly biased. I don't think you can go wrong with either engine. Get your self a WK, you'll love it.
Laredo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2007, 05:44 AM   #10
07WKLtd
2007 WK 

When shopping for my WK, my initial feeling was that I was buying a Hemi - why not, I figured. It's only an $800 option.

I test drove a Hemi, and it was nice - had power all over the place. I did notice a bit of lag between when you hit the throttle and it goes, as well as some pretty odd noises (it sounded really rough at idle - like a diesel or like i needed a valve job already...). When the MDS kicks in, it sounded even funnier. Combine with that it's need for higher octane gas and overall higher fuel consumption than the 4.7, I figured it would be worthwhile to check out the 4.7.

The 4.7 has adequate power, and doesn't sound like it needs valve adjustment. I don't do any towing, so tow capacity wasn't really a consideration. I'm pretty sure that 'Hemi-shudder' is a 05-06 issue, but that also helped push me towards the 4.7.

To sum it up, the 5.7 is a powerful and inexpensive option, but wasn't worth it to me. I'm glad I didn't pay $800 for it. Looking back, the only way I would have gotten the Hemi is if they discounted the vehicle ~$500, rather than it costing $800 extra.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the hemi. I just don't see it as a must-have option that I'd pay an extra $0.01 for.
07WKLtd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2007, 01:54 PM   #11
garsarno

If this was a new Hemi Grand Cherokee, then something was major wrong with the vehicle. Our '07 Hemi has 13,000 miles on it and outside of the "Hemi tick", runs well even on regular.
Unread 09-04-2007, 03:39 PM   #12
07WKLtd
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garsarno
If this was a new Hemi Grand Cherokee, then something was major wrong with the vehicle. Our '07 Hemi has 13,000 miles on it and outside of the "Hemi tick", runs well even on regular.
Perhaps it's this 'Hemi tick' that I heard and sounded like a diesel or a motor with a valve/lifter problem. Either way, it drove me nuts.
07WKLtd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2007, 04:26 PM   #13
HurriJeff
2013 WK 

For the record.. the 5.7 owners manual recomends only regular or mid grade fuels. The 5.7 HEMI runs as well or better on 87 or 89 octane fuel than on 91 or 93.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2007, 04:29 PM   #14
garsarno

Ditto on the premium. Filled it with premium on the tird day of ownership and I thought the power went down. Runs best on 89 octane, second best on 87, third on 91 and forget about 93.
Unread 09-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #15
CEPCNC
2005 WK 

Also, don't forget that the Gen 2 4.7L is getting a well-deserved power boost for this production year.
CEPCNC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.