Hemi Oil Pressure Warning Light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Hemi Oil Pressure Warning Light

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Hemi Oil Pressure Warning Light

So tonight on the drive home the Oil Pressure Warning Light came on. I stopped and checked the level and it was low. Which is a surprise since I just changed the oil myself 1000 miles ago. I usually don't need to add a quart till around 2500 miles but it's possible, I guess, that I did not put in the 7 qts I thought I did.

I just put in a quart and drove around the block for about 2 minutes and the light is still coming on and chiming every time I slow to a stop.

Anyone have any good ideas? The Jeep is at 69,000 miles, I'm assuming that the oil pump is going out but I'm not sure. There's no stored codes in the system and the engine is running fine.

Could it be that it just takes a while for the oil to drain into the pan?

---------

Ugh, this is just two days after I lost my brakes on a road-trip. Completely lost 'em when the tires rubbed a hole in the line and I had to resort to using my e-brake to come to a dramatic stop. I was really, really lucky. But that's a story for another time... and not the Jeeps fault.

Unread 10-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Argh! Went out after letting is sit and now it's spitting out a trouble code.
Quote:
P0520 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit
Any chance this would be covered by the powertrain warranty? (I assume not) Where can I find this bad boy on the engine? I guess it could be worse though. I think this is the plug next to the oil filter, right?
Unread 10-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Oil Pressure Switch was replaced, problem solved.

Dealer only part, and that ran about $60. It's not a tough swap, but I didn't feel like doing it myself. $40 labor at the local shop. Dealer quoted $75.
Unread 10-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
NatalShark
2005 WK 

Texas - So I have the same sort of deal on my 05. Getting P0520 and P0523, went and bought a new sending unit/switch, finally found the switch location after pulling the skid plate off...

Looks like I might have the wrong replacement though. Do you know how many fins on the plug there should be? You said it was a dealer only part and I found this one at O'Reilly so it may not be right. I hate going to the stealership but I may have to after all huh...
NatalShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

I'll have to check tomorrow. It's been so long since this has happened that I really don't remember the specifics. I'll get back to you.
Unread 10-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #6
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I am also getting code P0520 but no light. Where is the Oil Pressure Sensor/ Switch located? I am guessing underneath since Natalshark said he located it after pulling the skid plate. I also found a replacement on Rockauto. They have two different companies. One is $10 and the other is $40? They look similar.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2010, 08:44 AM   #7
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

It's right above the oil filter if I remember correctly and it's definitely possible that since the time I had mine replaced the aftermarket has started making replacements.
Unread 10-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
NatalShark
2005 WK 

Alright, went to the dealer and got the right switch (three prong) and got it swapped out. I am not getting the oil light coming on anymore but the malfunction light is still on adn I get the same to DTC codes. Does it just take a few cycles to clear?

Omelet, you have to pull the skid plate to get to it. You'll see it tucked up above the front axle, passenger side by the oil filter.
Unread 10-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Ok thanks a lot! How much was it at the dealer?

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
NatalShark
2005 WK 

$60
Unread 10-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
chrissyrw
2005 WK 

Hello all, newbie here.

Sorry to bump an old thread (but hey, I was using the search feature )

I'm experiencing the same issue as the OP, however, I'm no longer getting the Oil Pressure Light that came on every time I slowed down. I just have the Check Engine Light now. I received the following codes: P0520 and P0404.

The rep at Autozone recommends that I check the oil pressure switch to see if it's loose and if that's not the issue, then try cleaning it. Would that require any special handling or cleaning solution?

You all are the experts so I want your opinions on the issue.

From the PPs, it seems like an easy fix to replace, just have to order the part. TIA!

In case it matters, 84000 miles w/oil changed approx 2000 miles ago.
chrissyrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 07:54 AM   #12
JMorash
2005 WK 

Had the same issue. Oil pressure sensor DTC codes. as soon as i bought replacement. Light went away codes went away. No problem since. very weird
HEMI Club Member #28

3.5 Rock crawler lift.265/65R17 Toyo AT SuperChips Flashpaq MDS delete
JMorash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #13
Jbripps

Hi all, odd timing on this thread as I was searching the same issue. When I cold start, the pressure light appears, and only when the weather is below, say 60 degrees. On subsequent starts, no light. In fact, if I shut down right after the cold start, and restart, the light is gone also.

I'm hoping this is the sensor only? this has been going on for about 18 months, on and off, and never once during the summer...any advice? Does anyone have a diagram/picture of where the sensor is located?

Any input is appreciated....THANK YOU.

J
Jbripps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #14
chrissyrw
2005 WK 

I was able to get a diagram from Autozone.

If you log onto Autozone's website, you can get a step-by-step.

Last edited by chrissyrw; 10-20-2011 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: Add diagram
chrissyrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #15
Jbripps

Thank you!!!!........j
Jbripps is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.