Hemi MDS, torque converter, or??? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-12-2015, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
05WK20
2005 WK 

Hemi MDS, torque converter, or???

Hello all,

I purchased a 2005 jeep grand cherokee with the hemi. I have done alot of reading but cant seem to find a definite answer and hoping maybe someone who has had the same issue or an idea of the issue can chime in..

The issue: When cruising hwy speeds (40-70) and slightly accelerating, it feels like you are going over rumble strips (things on the side of the hwy). It shakes the whole cab but only happens until i accelerate out or brake. Then it repeats itself again when pressing the gas pedal slightly..

Now when i take it out of drive and shift it down to 4th, i dont seem to feel it or havent been able to duplicate it as of yet.. So i am wondering if it has something to do with the MDS.

I have read up about it possibly being the torque converter. Dealership wants 1100 to replace TC and my usual mechanic wants 600. Transmission fluid has been changed recently. Tires are new. Could it be something to do with the driveline? u joints? rear diff? Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-13-2015, 06:04 AM
traitor5150

Sounds like classic torque converter shutter
post #3 of 18 Old 05-27-2015, 06:57 AM
felix1357

Had the exact same thing on mine 2005 Ltd 5.7 QDII and did not want to go the TC route yet. I did all my research and finally decided to bring it in to dealer for a transmission flush/filters and computer updates. Was very happy I did as it got rid of my TC lock up shudder. I have put about 2000 miles on it since the flush and no shudder or rumble strip feel. I am sure it will come back at some point but for $230 tran service and 115 computer flash i am happy for now. Good luck seems this is becoming a big issue on the older WK's.

post #4 of 18 Old 10-03-2017, 01:56 PM
Eilrahc83

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05WK20 View Post
Hello all,

I purchased a 2005 jeep grand cherokee with the hemi. I have done alot of reading but cant seem to find a definite answer and hoping maybe someone who has had the same issue or an idea of the issue can chime in..

The issue: When cruising hwy speeds (40-70) and slightly accelerating, it feels like you are going over rumble strips (things on the side of the hwy). It shakes the whole cab but only happens until i accelerate out or brake. Then it repeats itself again when pressing the gas pedal slightly..

Now when i take it out of drive and shift it down to 4th, i dont seem to feel it or havent been able to duplicate it as of yet.. So i am wondering if it has something to do with the MDS.

I have read up about it possibly being the torque converter. Dealership wants 1100 to replace TC and my usual mechanic wants 600. Transmission fluid has been changed recently. Tires are new. Could it be something to do with the driveline? u joints? rear diff? Any ideas?

Thanks guys!
I am having the same exact issue on my 05 Hemi limited that I just bought 5 days ago. Transmission fluid was changed 1,000 miles ago along with the filter. I'm looking for where to go. Any ideas mates?
post #5 of 18 Old 10-03-2017, 02:57 PM
GreenWK
2008 WK 

I am chasing a similar issue and have a transmission shop checking it out in more detail. I have some speculation that it is not in the transmission but may be transfer case. What 4wd system do you have? I have QD2.

2008 CRD Overland, GDE Eco
post #6 of 18 Old 10-03-2017, 05:08 PM
Eilrahc83

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWK View Post
I am chasing a similar issue and have a transmission shop checking it out in more detail. I have some speculation that it is not in the transmission but may be transfer case. What 4wd system do you have? I have QD2.
I have QDII also.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-05-2017, 05:04 AM
SilverLimited
2015 WK 

When its shuddering, push the "Tow" button located below the HVAC controls. That will keep the trans in 4th and lockout it out from going into overdrive and MDS. If it works then you most likely have a TC issue. I guess you could go for an long time driving it like this. You'll have lower fuel economy.
Raffish likes this.

15 WK2 Overland 3.6L QTII
05 WK Limited 5.7L QDII
01 WJ Limited 4.7L QuadraDrive
00 WJ Laredo-gone
post #8 of 18 Old 10-05-2017, 09:59 AM
windsoreight8
2008 WK 

Iíve had good luck using Shudder Fix from lube guard in Fords with TC shudder. Might be worth a try before going he expensive route
post #9 of 18 Old 10-05-2017, 12:41 PM
ewiles10
2010 WK 

Garage
I have the 3.7 but had this happening to me right when I bought it this winter @123 ,000 miles. I took it to the dealership since I had a warranty and they rebuilt my tranny and I got a brand new torque converter. I know that would be expensive but my shudder is all fixed so I am just putting in my 2 cents.

You know you bought the right vehicle when you turn it on and it does the same back to you
post #10 of 18 Old 10-05-2017, 09:41 PM
Eilrahc83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLimited View Post
When its shuddering, push the "Tow" button located below the HVAC controls. That will keep the trans in 4th and lockout it out from going into overdrive and MDS. If it works then you most likely have a TC issue. I guess you could go for an long time driving it like this. You'll have lower fuel economy.
It does it in 3rd, 4th, and 5th. And then when it's locked up for a long time and I come to a stop it doesn't want to un lock and it surges forward until it almost dies then it frees itself. The thing only goes into 5th if I'm doing 65 or greater as well which I thought was odd. It's not like my 04 WJ was, that's for sure. Not real happy with it so far.
post #11 of 18 Old 10-06-2017, 06:19 AM
SilverLimited
2015 WK 

n

05 WK Limited 5.7L QDII
00 WJ Laredo-gone
post #12 of 18 Old 10-06-2017, 06:37 AM
SilverLimited
2015 WK 

The conditions described in your post are very different that those originally posted by 05WK20 in the original thread. Trying to lockout the MDS and Overdrive via the "Tow" button aren't going to address your issues. It definitely sounds like you have some transmission problems.

05 WK Limited 5.7L QDII
00 WJ Laredo-gone
post #13 of 18 Old 10-06-2017, 06:52 AM
Eilrahc83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLimited View Post
The conditions described in your post are very different that those originally posted by 05WK20 in the original thread. Trying to lockout the MDS and Overdrive via the "Tow" button aren't going to address your issues. It definitely sounds like you have some transmission problems.
Well it sounds the same like rumble strips and he used mph range which is accurate for 3rd, 4th, and 5th. I just discovered yesterday that it didn't want to unlock sometimes... What pisses me off is the dude that sold it to me knew it was doing this.. on the test drive I remember feeling something weird but assumed it was the road, because it literally sounds like you hit the rumble strips.

So you transmission shifts into 5th gear at a lower speed than 65?
post #14 of 18 Old 10-06-2017, 07:31 AM
GreenWK
2008 WK 

I spoke with another guy with the Hemi who had a shudder that was fixed with a new EGR Valve. May be worth a look.

2008 CRD Overland, GDE Eco
post #15 of 18 Old 10-06-2017, 09:28 AM
SilverLimited
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilrahc83 View Post
Well it sounds the same like rumble strips and he used mph range which is accurate for 3rd, 4th, and 5th. I just discovered yesterday that it didn't want to unlock sometimes... What pisses me off is the dude that sold it to me knew it was doing this.. on the test drive I remember feeling something weird but assumed it was the road, because it literally sounds like you hit the rumble strips.

So you transmission shifts into 5th gear at a lower speed than 65?
Yes the trans will normally shift into 5th at speeds below 65. Here is a link to describe the MDS operation.

http://wkjeeps.com/wk_engines.htm#MDS

Here is a link the describes in detail the trans operation.

http://wkjeeps.com/wk_transm.htm

05 WK Limited 5.7L QDII
00 WJ Laredo-gone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.