Hemi hesitation - present in all or some? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Hemi hesitation - present in all or some?

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
JCDubya
2009 WK 

Hemi hesitation - present in all or some?

'07 HEMI. From a stop, when I give it gas it takes a second to kick in. Does this happen to everyone or only some of the hemis? Anyway to fix it? it's rather annoying.

JCDubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #2
Crookster777
2010 WK 

Bro, everyone of us Hemi owners have it. It sucks.

HEMI Club Member #1
If you have a Hemi please join: http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506901
NightCrew #127
Crookster777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
JCDubya
2009 WK 

Bummer. I thought I saw some posts where people said theirs was fine but I was pretty sure it was normal.

just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some recent 'fix' for it.
JCDubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
Crookster777
2010 WK 

You punch it then a sec later before you know it you are at the end of the block. Ive gotten used to it, it dont bother me as much anymore.

HEMI Club Member #1
If you have a Hemi please join: http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506901
NightCrew #127
Crookster777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 10:27 PM   #5
rwmorrisonjr
2006 XK Commander 

That's the "drive by wire" system: there's no cable to the throttle body so it relies on the computer and throttle position sensor to do the work. That's why I like my 4.7: still an old fashioned cable for instant response.
rwmorrisonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #6
WKTrailRunner
2007 WK 

No hesitation from a dead stop....power brake it a few times and educate your throttle. From low speed either tap down a gear or hit tow-haul.
WKTrailRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
WK_HemiGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDubya
'07 HEMI. From a stop, when I give it gas it takes a second to kick in. Does this happen to everyone or only some of the hemis? Anyway to fix it? it's rather annoying.
I am getting this issue in my '06 Hemi, have you found a resolution?

2006 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi |Rocky Road 2.25 lift with shocks | BFG 265/70-R17 | 4xGuard Rock Rails | AEV 17x8.5 Argent Wheel : 5x5 : +25mm offset | Hitch receiver | Tow hooks | Tail light guards | skid plates |
WK_HemiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 03:36 AM   #8
Marcus86GLHS

i get this too on my 2008 and i am surprised that Jeep hasnt fixed this, it's a safety issue in my opinion especially for a newbie driver i almost read-ended a car at an intersection after this hesitation caused me to depress the gas a little more to get a response then POW!!!! the jeep lurched forward like a top fuel dragster. now that i am aware of this, i drive accordingly. but it is unacceptable for a $18,000 Kia let alone a $40,000 Jeep.

lots of cars have electronic throttles these days. for example the Vette has had this arrangement for several model years now and there is zero hesitation with their system.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 06:05 AM   #9
garsarno

Mine is only intermitent. But I did experience a weird thing yesterday AM - had remote started the Jeep twice to warm it up. When I went into the Jeep and tried to start, the starter or engine just "whirled" for want of a better word. I shut off the key and restarted. Started right up and has not done since.
garsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 04:37 AM   #10
HurriJeff
2005 WK 

I have that delay from "pedal push". I find that everyone beats me off the line at traffic lights because of it. It's sort of like, if I want to get a good reaction time then I jerk the crap out of everyone in the car; and if I want a smooth roll on from the light, everyone else's quicker response gets them going a little faster. Annoying to say the least !
Ive got another gripe, its that torque thing from standing start. This is about Hemi's only ! From a stop, if I push the pedal the the floor, I start moving but not so fast for the first 2 to 3 seconds then I can feel the acceleration really kick in. I know this is not a race forum...but does your Hemi do this ???
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 07:58 AM   #11
Marcus86GLHS

i havent noticed that but i did figure out how to get off the line and use the Hemi power from a standstill: just pre-load the torque convertor by pressing the brake and accelerator pedals at same time, then simultaneously release the brake and jam the accelerator, the Jeep just hard launches.....sweet. i hung in there with a WRX last week using that procedure.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Unread 12-28-2007, 11:55 AM   #12
garsarno

I will not share this info with my daughter, who drives our '07 Hemi. I beat her with my '07 Impala SS last week in an improptu race from a stoplight but it was close.
garsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 12:50 PM   #13
Marcus86GLHS

Imapla SS? thats Hemi Jeep food.

:-)

Unread 12-28-2007, 01:47 PM   #14
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurriJeff
Ive got another gripe, its that torque thing from standing start. This is about Hemi's only ! From a stop, if I push the pedal the the floor, I start moving but not so fast for the first 2 to 3 seconds then I can feel the acceleration really kick in. I know this is not a race forum...but does your Hemi do this ???
I'm sure this is normal. It is deffinately a weird feeling, your accelerating hard then all of the sudden your head gets pushed back as if the hand of god came up behind you. I'm pretty sure this came up in one of the engineering sessions and it has something to do with the esp/traction control. I know the engineers said the tranny can take 100% of the HEMI torque in every gear. It's just the tires can't hold the ground at 100% torque in 1st gear or probably even 2nd for that matter. I would love to do 4 wheel peels when taking off, the computer just won't let it happen.

MUST GO! 1994 Limited ZJ 5.2L V8 - Light Driftwood Satin Glow
It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

drewman141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 07:27 AM   #15
anerbe

if i do a good stab of the throttle, the tires will loose traction for a very brief period and then take off. It's pretty much all the time. If you're having problems, i would definitely pre-load the car by brake-torqueing.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.