Hemi or diesel - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Hemi or diesel

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #76
MBDiesel
2014 WK 

Coming from a Mercedes Diesel background, I am biased. The OM617 in my grandpa's 300SD was a bulletproof engine. The OM602 in my 23 year old 300D has never left me stranded. With the exception of needing an injector rebuild (expected at 150k on any mechanical injection engine), it still runs like new and burns NO oil. It's still my daily driver. The OM648 in my dad's E320 CDI has been completely trouble free for the 65k miles he has owned it (bought at 45k). My OM642 has been great for the three months and 5k miles I've had it.

Look at it this way: FedEx and UPS beat the s**t out of these engines every day in their delivery Sprinters around here...and they keep buying them. Damn near all the AMR ambulances that serve downtown Seattle are OM642 powered Mercedes Sprinters. I'd completely trust one to get me to the hospital if the need arises.

MBDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #77
jeepsrgood4u
2009 WK 

xer0, what did you decide on? Put everybody and this thread out of its misery lol
jeepsrgood4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #78
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC
Ya the nerve has nothing to do with CRD vs Hemi it has to do truth vs covering up the truth.
Lou, stop and think about it. Looks like a sign of defeat and maturity level. If you read the thread again you can see it happening, pretty comical.

I noticed a CRD is for sale. Why would someone sell if so good!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/n...k-crd-1595569/

The list was actually funny.

If you watch American pickers you get a CRD. This is so you know how to deal with a breakdown of the OM642. Their vehicle broke down in a episode and left them stranded, it was a sprinter with a OM642.

If you ride your bike wearing Jeans get a CRD. Is this incase of the stranded episode?

If you have gas yard tools get a CRD. This is because you need to know how mix the 2 cycle oil for the CRD (look for yourself, there's treads).

What wasn't funny was the, if your serviced your Country but notice the Airfarce comment. Airforce I salute you. Even that SP I had a run in with, I can't see imaginary red lines!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverado
When it comes to US specs vs European specs it makes a huge difference. US specs vary from state to state, in Europe the specs are the same in all countries. That is one reason there are so many diesels in Europe and in most of the world except the US. We are comparing a Hemi to a CRD, not a diesel engine without a turbo. And who does not mod a Jeep, there are as many threads about modding the engines as there are about lifts and off road mods.
The comment was made that the use of OM642 (3.0 MB CRD) cease due to Daimler departing with Chrysler. But Chrysler still used the OM642 so that was not a valid fact, Europe or US doesn't matter. Chrysler still used the product so they still had access to the engine. They (Chrysler) chose not to continue the GC CRD.

Where is the diesel non turbo conversation??? We were discussing the OM642 use in Europe after the cease of use in US by Chrysler.
10Xk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #79
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
Lou, stop and think about it. Looks like a sign of defeat and maturity level. If you read the thread again you can see it happening, pretty comical.

I noticed a CRD is for sale. Why would someone sell if so good!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/n...k-crd-1595569/

Ha..since when is putting a vehicle up for sale an indication of how good it is...maybe they guy wants to take advantage of the higher resale value. He is probably very happy with deciding on the CRD instead of the Hemi....
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #80
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiesel View Post
Coming from a Mercedes Diesel background, I am biased. The OM617 in my grandpa's 300SD was a bulletproof engine. The OM602 in my 23 year old 300D has never left me stranded. With the exception of needing an injector rebuild (expected at 150k on any mechanical injection engine), it still runs like new and burns NO oil. It's still my daily driver. The OM648 in my dad's E320 CDI has been completely trouble free for the 65k miles he has owned it (bought at 45k). My OM642 has been great for the three months and 5k miles I've had it.

Look at it this way: FedEx and UPS beat the s**t out of these engines every day in their delivery Sprinters around here...and they keep buying them. Damn near all the AMR ambulances that serve downtown Seattle are OM642 powered Mercedes Sprinters. I'd completely trust one to get me to the hospital if the need arises.
This is a great post and speaks volumes about the OM642 engine. Also keep in mind the thousand and thousand of E350 Taxi Cabs running the OM642 all over the world....
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #81
LouC
2007 WK 

That does not speak jack. What was cited above, for cryin out loud, NYC taxis easily have done, Ford Crown Vics with the Ford 4.6 V8 routinely run up 300,000-400,000 miles. And for those of you who have never lived in NYC, the roads are so bad that a big business is alloy wheel repair. The cab companies stuck with the Ford CV to the end of its run because its heavy duty body on frame construction can take a beating and is easy and cheap to repair.
A plain ole' AMC designed (yeah you know that company that put JEEP on the map) inline 6 can last as long as 300,000 miles and there are some on the old XJ board with as many as 400,000 miles on them. There are Chrysler Magnum 5.2s that have the same high miles on them. AMC and later Chrysler built 4,000,000 of the inline 6s. They have powered millions of XJs, ZJs YJs and TJs. The one in my old 98 is just barely broken in at 147,000 miles. No mechanical repairs, none. Nothing more than a tune up every 30000 miles and an oil change every 4000. You don't need the Mercedes cost penalty to have an engine that is reliable and lasts that long. My ZJ in 15 years never left me stranded anywhere.

I have no issue with the Mercedes CRD engine in Jeeps. What some of you don't like apparently is I pointed out to a poster who asked, that it will certainly cost more to repair than the Hemi. That is a fact, that none of you can argue with, unless you want to look quite foolish. Yes it gets better fuel economy and yes it has as much low end torque at a lower rpm. These also are facts that I don't argue with. Yet some of you feel you must argue that the repair costs are not high, or that somehow that does not matter to people.....
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #82
jeepsrgood4u
2009 WK 

LouC, I like all the praise on the inline 6. Have and had a variety 232( Jeeps and Scouts)258 and what more people are familiar with these days 242. I try not to get too over talkative but I myself am a big fan of the straight 6. I have 96 ZJ and a 98 XJ that I bought new and they run great. I also bought a Wrangler new in 93 with the 4.0 and as you know I smiled with the snot it had over the choked out 258 CJs prior. So, not sure if he decided on a diesel or hemi? He said he liked wranglers so my advice is this, pick up a 2006 Rubicon inline six mated to a six speed manual drop the top and have fun....
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #83
LouC
2007 WK 

If I don't drive my old 98 every couple of weeks I go through 4.0 inline six withdrawal,lol. The 98 is my son's now, gave it to him for his 18th birthday. Might have to pick up an LJ with a 4.0 to get my fix..
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #84
jeepsrgood4u
2009 WK 

Oh yeah, didn't want to forget my first hemi.. Kaiser/Jeep M715, 231 Tornado. Technically a hemi due to its HEMIspherical heads, thats for any kids out there who want to know where that hemi badge on the back of your Jeep comes from and some knowledge any newest Jeeper should have in their back pocket.
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #85
quicksilverado
2007 WK 

Where is the diesel non turbo conversation??? We were discussing the OM642 use in Europe after the cease of use in US by Chrysler.[/QUOTE]

Reread my post. You are the one that said "Power adders bring a totally different prospective to power/MPG conversation. I was speaking on stock configuration." The CRD happens to have a turbo in its stock configuration.

Chrysler decided to terminate the diesel because they did not want to pay for R and D and the final cost to keep the diesel compliant with new EPA standards. Had Daimler maintained ownership they would have ate the cost of keeping the diesel on the option list. They kept all their other vehicles with diesels up to the EPA standards.
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:48 AM   #86
Keeslinger31
2005 WK 

Looks like it comes down to which pump you want to stop at or which button you want to press. As they are both good enough for the job, i'm just glad I didn't get the v6 or 4.7
Unread 09-23-2013, 03:03 AM   #87
james_2k
2009 WK 

the v6 and 4.7 are great! what are you talking about!

only kidding!

but that is quite harsh, im sure they are happy with their engines too
james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #88
jaje
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
Some have reported getting the same MPG as the Hemi. Add the additional cost of the CRD with the additional cost of the fuel, that's pretty big price to pay for less power than a VVT (08-10) Hemi.

Basiclly if the CRD was worth anything it would still be here (in a jeep), not a failed attempt (in a jeep)!
Wow everyone will believe anything anyone says on the Internet, however in reality it doesn't make it so.

Diesel costs ~ 15% more than unleaded (sometimes more and sometimes diesel costs less than unleaded) but gives you 30-50% better mpg depending on the driving you do (especially towing). So the price difference is actually not negligible as you are filling up less times and going much farther on a tank of fuel.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #89
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

Let's Get Real Here

OK I'd like to address a comment made a while back in the thread, where it was strongly implied that some diesel owners were lying about the true cost of repairs the CRD may require vs repairs the Hemi may require.

No One Has Lied Here! We're just giving our honest opinions and offering up our own experiences.

I've been searching for facts to use in comparison, and sadly, there ain't a whole lot mainly because the Jeep CRD was such a limited run that there isn't much data to go by. This link is somewhat useful:

http://www.truedelta.com/Jeep-Grand-...e-problems-144
"2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4dr SUV - turbocharged 215hp 3.0L V6 Diesel 5-speed shiftable automatic AWD w/low range
Month..Year..Odometer (in miles)..Cost..Problem/Repair Description
Apr.....2011...................................... .First odometer entry
Apr.....2011 ..............................0.......Replaced intake swirl valve actuator motor
Oct....2012.......78720..............500......turb o intake hose loose, not installed correctly, probably after swirl valve actuator motor replaced 30000 km ago. hard to install correctly because very little clearance. might also be prone to loosening. also replaced nearly clogged air filter.
Jun....2013........84320.........................M ost recent odometer entry."

"2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4dr SUV turbocharged 215hp 3.0L V6 Diesel 5-speed shiftable automatic AWD w/low range

Month..Year..Odometer.(in miles)..Cost...Problem/Repair Description
Aug......2007.........620........................F irst odometer entry
Dec......2008......14260................0......PCV valve plugged causing excess oil consumption on 3.0 L Diesel engine. Fault code traced to transmission controller. Dealer reprogrammed and fixed problem which occurred in extremely cold weather.
Dec......2010......35340..............1800...Check engine light came on with message to service park assist system. Also engine would rev high (3500-4500 RPM)for a short time. Problem diagnosed by dealer, turned out to be a transmission control module. Expensive Mercedes part.
Jun......2013......58280...............1150...Turb o impellor ?? controlling air into turbo needed to be replaced. Prior to this they cleaned the swirl valve. Glow plug module was also replaced as it was generating a fault."

"2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4dr SUV 330-horsepower 5.7L V8 5-speed shiftable automatic AWD w/low range
Month..Year..Odometer.(in miles)..Cost...Problem/Repair Description
Aug.....2007.......10000........................Fi rst odometer entry
Apr.....2008.......22000................0.......De fective waterpump!
Dec.....2009......47000................85......Eng ine light came on; dealer said it was due to software...one update on warranty, one I paid for.
Jan.....2010 ......47300................0........Engine light came on after previous repair. This time, the dealer listened to me and checked the catalytic converter.
Jun.....2013.......67000......................... Most recent odometer entry."

more data on the V8 TCO from Edmunds -
http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/grand-ch...tyle=100909637

2008 Overland 4dr SUV (5.7L V8 5-speed Automatic)
5 Yr Total
Maintenance....$3,998
Repairs...........$4,451

Edmunds does not have data for the CRD in a Jeep so I looked @ Sprinter CRD:
http://www.edmunds.com/dodge/sprinte...tyle=100960831
2008 2500 144 WB Passenger Van (3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel 5-speed Automatic)
5 Yr Total
Maintenance....$5,374
Repairs...........$4,001"

yes repairs to your turbo-diesel engine can be more expensive than similar repairs to your Hemi V8, but not by a huge margin. in 15 months and 14K miles that I've owned my CRD, I've spent about $500 on repairs, and only 2 things were CRD-specific (glow plug and air intake tube).

As has been stated before, the BIGGEST drawback to owning the OM642-equipped WK CRD is LACK OF SUPPORT from Chrysler and the automotive community as a whole.

you pays yo penny, you takes yo chance.
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #90
sickchilly
2010 WK 

I've owned both. '08 Limited CRD and now '10 S-Limited. I had a very bad CRD experience. But in the time it did run, compared to the Hemi (especially 2009+ VVT Hemis), there's no contest for me. Hemi all the way. Gas mileage was nice on the CRD, but not enough to justify the expensive repairs, lack of support, and unknown. Plus, there's always a bit if that diesel smell which just wasn't my thing in the end. The VVT Hemi is so fun, more powerful, makes better noises and is actually smoother than my CRD was. Aftermarket is easier regarding front bumper options since there's no inter cooler to deal with. And anyone can work on a Hemi. Parts are cheaper, more plentiful, and easier to get. I wanted to like the CRD, but it really is a red-headed step child here in the US. A shame. Maybe we'll catch up with the rest of the diesel world by 2025?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.