Hemi or diesel - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Hemi or diesel

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #61
quicksilverado
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
If loss of the Daimler ownership forced the retirement of the MB 3.0 CRD in a Jeep, one would think that would effect the entire line of Chrysler products.

Chrysler 300 used the OM642 in Europe until I believe 2010 or 2011.

Power adders bring a totally different prospective to the power/MPG conversation. I was speaking on stock configuration.
When it comes to US specs vs European specs it makes a huge difference. US specs vary from state to state, in Europe the specs are the same in all countries. That is one reason there are so many diesels in Europe and in most of the world except the US.

We are comparing a Hemi to a CRD, not a diesel engine without a turbo. And who does not mod a Jeep, there are as many threads about modding the engines as there are about lifts and off road mods.

Unread 09-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #62
Megs_Revenge
SUV Enthusiast

2005 WK 

Next argument will be which color is better (I vote for silver )... Really you have to look at which was better taken care of and which you would feel more comfortable working on.

Silver WK club #69

Oo|||||||oO
Megs_Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #63
Drewd

Here is how to determine which one to get:

(a) If you know which end of a screw driver to pick up, consider a CRD
If your only maintenance experience is removing the fuel cap to put fuel in your vehicle get the Hemi

(b) If your previous vehicles had a 710 cap on the engine, get a Hemi

(c) If you drink coffee with your pinky sticking out, get a Hemi

(d) If you use product in your hair, get a Hemi

(e) If you have more than 3 pairs of shoes, get a Hemi

(f) If you have a container of Gojo with pumice get a CRD. If you own a Loofa, get a Hemi

(g) If you subscribe to Popular Mechanics and/or Popular Science or Maxim, get a CRD.
If you subscribe to Out Magazine, Hemi

(h) Latte,Frappacini drinkers, get yourself a Hemi
If you drink your coffee black, consider a CRD

(I) If you have ever worn Spandex, get a Hemi
If you ride your bike wearing Jeans, get a CRD

(j) If all of your lawn gear is electrical, get a Hemi
if you own a gas mower, gas trimmer, gas edger, gas blower, gas leaf vac, get a CRD

(k) If you want to climb a high mountain pass going 65-70mph passing gassers struggling to maintain 40mph, get a CRD
If you don't mind your transmission down shifting 2 gears to get up a mountain pass, get a Hemi

(l) If Harbor Freight is your candy store, get a CRD

(m) If you've ever voluntarily gone to a Lady Gaga concert, get a Hemi

(n) If you served in the military, get a CRD (airfarce doesn't count)

(o) Handgun owner, CRD
Hides behind wife when burglar breaks into house, Hemi

(p) Has never dropped off a vehicle at dealership for maintenance repairs, CRD
Knows what any dealership waiting room looks like, get a Hemi

(q) If you eat yogurt, get a Hemi
bacon/eggs, get a cRD

(r) Poodle owners, get a Hemi

(s) If you watch American Pickers or Storage Wars, or Counting Cars, etc... get a CRD
If you watched American Idol or the Voice, get a Hemi
Drewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #64
LouC
2007 WK 

If you're old enough to have grown up with these, then get a Hemi
Most of you probably don't know that none other than Bill France (king of NASCAR) forced Chrysler to sell these so they could race them and they promptly kicked everyones *** till Ford maned up and built their own hemi (Boss 429 Shotgun). To which Chrysler countered with the winged warriors (Daytona/Superbird) that promptly turned a 199 mph qualifying lap. In 1969 I might add.
If you have wrenched on your vehicles for more than 40 years as I have and know something about common sense simple design then get a Hemi. If you want the best MPG and repair costs don't matter then sure get a CRD.
If you understand that the history of Jeeps was made with simple, inexpensive, long lasting engines, that don't cost a fortune to repair (AMC designed straight six built for 40 years, Chrysler Magunm series built nearly as long) then get a Hemi. Its part of that tradition.....
street-hemi.jpg

Unread 09-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #65
scootr29
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewd
Here is how to determine which one to get: (a) If you know which end of a screw driver to pick up, consider a CRD If your only maintenance experience is removing the fuel cap to put fuel in your vehicle get the Hemi (b) If your previous vehicles had a 710 cap on the engine, get a Hemi (c) If you drink coffee with your pinky sticking out, get a Hemi (d) If you use product in your hair, get a Hemi (e) If you have more than 3 pairs of shoes, get a Hemi (f) If you have a container of Gojo with pumice get a CRD. If you own a Loofa, get a Hemi (g) If you subscribe to Popular Mechanics and/or Popular Science or Maxim, get a CRD. If you subscribe to Out Magazine, Hemi (h) Latte,Frappacini drinkers, get yourself a Hemi If you drink your coffee black, consider a CRD (I) If you have ever worn Spandex, get a Hemi If you ride your bike wearing Jeans, get a CRD (j) If all of your lawn gear is electrical, get a Hemi if you own a gas mower, gas trimmer, gas edger, gas blower, gas leaf vac, get a CRD (k) If you want to climb a high mountain pass going 65-70mph passing gassers struggling to maintain 40mph, get a CRD If you don't mind your transmission down shifting 2 gears to get up a mountain pass, get a Hemi (l) If Harbor Freight is your candy store, get a CRD (m) If you've ever voluntarily gone to a Lady Gaga concert, get a Hemi (n) If you served in the military, get a CRD (airfarce doesn't count) (o) Handgun owner, CRD Hides behind wife when burglar breaks into house, Hemi (p) Has never dropped off a vehicle at dealership for maintenance repairs, CRD Knows what any dealership waiting room looks like, get a Hemi (q) If you eat yogurt, get a Hemi bacon/eggs, get a cRD (r) Poodle owners, get a Hemi (s) If you watch American Pickers or Storage Wars, or Counting Cars, etc... get a CRD If you watched American Idol or the Voice, get a Hemi
Quoted for the record....
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #66
rsurran

2005 WK 

Wow I've been gone for awhile and didn't know we had a raging controversy going on. scootr29 I qualify for the CRD but own a Hemi because of all the Jeeps I searched on line there wasn't a single CRD to look at. But it worked out for me because I am a flat lander, I don't tow, and I don't have time to wrench on it, I just want it to drive it and have fun doing it. And LouC, I bow to the picture. I am a child of the 60's and was raised to revere the big muscle while I drove my 56 Chevy straight six that used to jump out of 3rd once in a while. Actually owning a Hemi was NOT something to be hoped for, until now. Just looking at it makes me want to go out and play.

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
rsurran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #67
Zlartibartfast

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewd View Post
.....(j) If all of your lawn gear is electrical, get a Hemi
if you own a gas mower, gas trimmer, gas edger, gas blower, gas leaf vac, get a CRD.....
Hold on there Bud my lawn tools are all electric - I don't have any gasoline in my garage! Only diesel.

(I have a 2-cycle chain saw over at my Mom's. She needs it more than I do)
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #68
LouC
2007 WK 

I got a garage full of tools, I maintain three vehicles myself + a boat + 9 small engines yard equipment 2 and 4 strokes and a 4 stroke outboard. Been doing it since '72 before many of you were born. That list above is the biggest heap of BULLSH!T I have seen a a forum in many years. If you want a CRD fine, but don't go telling members that don't know jack about mechanical stuff that they are not expensive to maintain......
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #69
Zlartibartfast

2007 WK 

who'd a thought a simple request for advice would sitr up such a stink.

Opinions.

Everybody's got one.
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #70
xer0
2000 XJ Cherokee 

At last the desire for knowledge has added to my entertainment factor.
xer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #71
quicksilverado
2007 WK 

Damn Lou, looks like someone hit a nerve. The new hemis are related in name only to the old school hemi. The hemi combustion chamber in those old monsters are true genius. The where huge engines and weighed a ton, but made a s**t ton of power.
Unread 09-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #72
LouC
2007 WK 

Ya the nerve has nothing to do with CRD vs Hemi it has to do truth vs covering up the truth.
Unread 09-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #73
Keeslinger31
2005 WK 

So why would you want to pay more money for a crd and then have to work on it all the time, vs a hemi that's pretty bulletproof and simple that only needs maintained and can be replaced completely for less than part of a crd. ignore mpg if you work on cars and do all those manly things why do you drive like a grandma trying to get good mileage ? It's a block with 4 doors you won't get good mpg from anything if you drive like me. I also wonder what modifications can be done to a hemi bang for the buck dollar to dollar vs the crd, cause from what I've read you have to spend a good bit more initially to even get the diesel. That cost right there you could throw in a cam port the heads get an exhaust and intake including some sort of better manifolds/headers and a tune that would help with mpg and if your concerned with torque you can get a cam for that. And a tune for towing but to each his own
Unread 09-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #74
james_2k
2009 WK 

its a lot easier to get the crds power and torque up than changing cams and such! and lets be honest, diesels are generally much more reliable than petrol engines. regardless of how you drive it, the diesel will be more economical.

but this thread is tuning into a fanboy war here.. obviously the people with crds think theirs is better and vice versa.

personally, i love the v8 sound, but over here.. its far too expensive to run, and to convert it to lpg is a huge chunk of cash too.
james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #75
quicksilverado
2007 WK 

I picked my CRD up for a little over 15k about 15 months ago. The only thing I have done to it was change the oil, oil filter, fuel and air filters. Put new tires on it and Got the GDE tune for it. I've put 38k miles on it so far with no problems. If I want to go fast I will drive my turbo truck. If I want to drive a four door that gets decent gas mileage and has some pep I will drive the Jeep. I work out of the GC and will be pulling a travel trailer in the near future. Driving 30-35k miles per year makes the diesel the right choice for me. Hemi is quicker and I love V8 power, but they cost a small fortune to hotrod compared to Ford and Chevy and the tuning sucks for the hemi.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.