Hemi or diesel - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Hemi or diesel

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #46
james_2k
2009 WK 

oh didnt know that.

either way, the argument that some people get the same mpg as the 5.7 doesn't matter. you can get low mpg with any car. its down to driving style and for the same style the crd will be a lot more efficient.

also as you should be aware. the peak torque on the 5.7 is at what.. over 4000 rpm. the crd is at about 1800.. so in normal driving the crd will be closer to that max torque. and less fuel hungry when pushed.

factor in the tuning options available to the diesel and it will end up with more torque. (and at way lower rpm)

james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #47
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WieSeL
Yeah the new diesel isn't an mb product but a VM, made in Ferrara Italy
VM is 50% GM, they make the diesel for the Chevy Cruz. Read the car and driver (along with others) reviews on MPG of the MB CRD in GC, it's in threads also.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #48
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WieSeL View Post
The crd takes a higher grade of oil and more of it; hence more money, the fuel filters are required every 15k, not on the hemi; hence more money. I've heard of people having multiple issues with various parts on the crd (not saying all hemis are bulletproof,) and parts are more expensive due to it being a Mercedes product; injectors, turbo, dpfe, etc. And I do all the work on my Jeep myself as I am an ase certified tech
Other than the swirl motor issue and occasional glow plug issue....can you please link to all these turbo, injector,and dpf failures that you mention above.

Increased price of CRD oil/filter and fuel filter will be offset by the increased fuel economy of the CRD. Chrysler also recommends 89 octane for the Hemi which pulls the price of gas closer to diesel.

Hemi oil change = every 6000 miles (7 quarts) service a (there is not even a severe duty option for the Hemi...just saying)

CRD oil change = every 12,500 miles (10 quarts) service a

CRD fuel filter = 50,000 miles (service a) or 25,000 miles (service b)

So you are using 14 quarts of oil in the Hemi every 12,000 miles while the CRD is using 10 quarts every 12,500 miles.

The only maintenance difference is the fuel filter needed for the CRD. That is about $30 bucks every 50,000 miles.

Facts
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #49
LouC
2007 WK 

I wouldn't own a Mercedes anything because as good as they are, their designs are needlessly complex and the parts cost is obscene. There I said it. So I would not take a MB diesel in a Jeep either, that would give me more MPG but every repair would cost at least 2x as much as the same repair on the Hemi. Most of my friends who drive Mercedes and BMWs lease them and do not buy them. That is the reason why. They have been there done that.
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #50
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Delete
Unread 09-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #51
quicksilverado
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
Some have reported getting the same MPG as the Hemi. Add the additional cost of the CRD with the additional cost of the fuel, that's pretty big price to pay for less power than a VVT (08-10) Hemi.

Basiclly if the CRD was worth anything it would still be here (in a jeep), not a failed attempt (in a jeep)!
I get 24+ mpg 50/50 hwy/city. Show me a hemi that gets anywhere near that. Even with more expensive diesel, the numbers are still in my favor by a large margin. Hemi may have more horse power, but with the GDE tune the CRD has a huge advantage on tq from 1600-3000 rpm. Jeep is no longer owned by Daimler-Benz. That is why the diesel was yanked from the engine option.
Unread 09-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #52
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xer0 View Post
Just checked out the diesel. I liked it here are thr issuies i noticed

AC does not blow cold
Paint scratches on hood
Broken trailer light lit
Rear hatch lifters bad
Front grill disattached
Missing cargo blind
Tires need to be replaced
Tic in engine (I think it is coming from the driver side, it is an additional to the normal motor running sound)
Extra wiring under hood on right side
Forlow binds up at full lock

What should I offer or stay away from it ?

Gonna look at the hemi tommro.

Thanks for all the help
That's a significant list of items to address Fur Shure, but only "tic in engine" would be diesel-specific (and it could well be an easy fix, you might get lucky on that one).
"Extra wiring.." could be nothing or a big deal..."four-low binding..." might be expensive I don;t know about that.

Maybe you don't want to buy THAT diesel but if the Hemi is in no better condition then keep looking for another one 'cause the CRD is actually a really good model. Ask any owner!
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #53
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC
I wouldn't own a Mercedes anything because as good as they are, their designs are needlessly complex and the parts cost is obscene. There I said it. So I would not take a MB diesel in a Jeep either, that would give me more MPG but every repair would cost at least 2x as much as the same repair on the Hemi. Most of my friends who drive Mercedes and BMWs lease them and do not buy them. That is the reason why. They have been there done that.
Good to hear from you Lou...trolling lately?
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 09-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #54
james_2k
2009 WK 

end of the day, its still a jeep! all good
james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #55
LouC
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
Good to hear from you Lou...trolling lately?
if its trolling to tell the truth to someone who may have no idea how much more an MB engine is going to repair than a plain old Jeep/Chrysler engine well then call it whatever you want. I honestly don't care. Buy what you want but then don't come here crying that the turbo went out and a new one is $2825 yeah that price is right from moparpartsonline.com.....
one piston for these engines is over $500
a cyl head is over $2000

what pertinent facts have you contributed?
Unread 09-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #56
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverado
I get 24+ mpg 50/50 hwy/city. Show me a hemi that gets anywhere near that. Even with more expensive diesel, the numbers are still in my favor by a large margin. Hemi may have more horse power, but with the GDE tune the CRD has a huge advantage on tq from 1600-3000 rpm. Jeep is no longer owned by Daimler-Benz. That is why the diesel was yanked from the engine option.
If loss of the Daimler ownership forced the retirement of the MB 3.0 CRD in a Jeep, one would think that would effect the entire line of Chrysler products.

Chrysler 300 used the OM642 in Europe until I believe 2010 or 2011.

Power adders bring a totally different prospective to the power/MPG conversation. I was speaking on stock configuration.
Unread 09-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #57
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC
if its trolling to tell the truth to someone who may have no idea how much more an MB engine is going to repair than a plain old Jeep/Chrysler engine well then call it whatever you want. I honestly don't care. Buy what you want but then don't come here crying that the turbo went out and a new one is $2825 yeah that price is right from moparpartsonline.com..... one piston for these engines is over $500 a cyl head is over $2000 what pertinent facts have you contributed?
If you look hard enough you can find OM642 Diesel engines used on eBay between $4000 and $5500.

But all you anti CRD folks always come into these posts and run around with your d*mn hair on fire about how much it costs to own a CRD. Just funny how these CRD posts always bring out the haters.....can't tell ya the last time I clicked on a post about the V6 and V8 gas engines.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 09-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #58
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29
Just funny how these CRD posts always bring out the haters.....can't tell ya the last time I clicked on a post about the V6 and V8 gas engines.
??? The title of this conversation is "Hemi or Diesel"..
Unread 09-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #59
LouC
2007 WK 

No hating at all, I would love a diesel but not at inflated MB prices. Facts are facts yes they arore economical and have great low end torque. But to pretend that there is not a cost associated with this is unrealistic and misleads people who do not know better.
Unread 09-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #60
jeepsrgood4u
2009 WK 

Been watching this go on and on. Pretty much you have to pull the trigger on what you want. Hemi is going to say Hemi, Diesel going to say diesel. Either way you will have a pretty nice ride in comparison to most of the disposable junk vehicles out there today. Bottom line
jeepsrgood4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.