Hemi or diesel - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Hemi or diesel

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 09-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #31
xer0
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just checked out the diesel. I liked it here are thr issuies i noticed

AC does not blow cold
Paint scratches on hood
Broken trailer light lit
Rear hatch lifters bad
Front grill disattached
Missing cargo blind
Tires need to be replaced
Tic in engine (I think it is coming from the driver side, it is an additional to the normal motor running sound)
Extra wiring under hood on right side
Forlow binds up at full lock

What should I offer or stay away from it ?

Gonna look at the hemi tommro.

Thanks for all the help

xer0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #32
Keeslinger31
2005 WK 

Sounds like alot of issues for the money.

When I was shopping around I never found 1 diesel, then again I wasn't really looking for one as it wouldn't have been in my budget anyways.

Needless to say my 05 has 90,000 miles and no major issues
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #33
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

If I was looking for a CRD I would look for ones like the 2wd Grand Cherokee Limited 19k miles $24k in FL. I would be very cautious of any CRD that has mods, even a gasser. Nothing worse then trying to figure out what someone else has done in order to fix the original problem.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #34
xer0
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I will not get a rwd car in Massachusetts. And if I was gonna pay that price tag I would just get a new rubicon.
Unread 09-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #35
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xer0
I will not get a rwd car in Massachusetts. And if I was gonna pay that price tag I would just get a new rubicon.
The point was that there are places to find quality reliable vehicles through out the US. Some requires a small fee for transfer and others don't. You can find a car from the south with minimal to no rust that qualify for a extended warranty. I find it hard to believe you will find a vehicle through carmax with the problems you found with the local vehicle. They have a lot of 05 Hemi's in your price range that you mentioned in your first post.
Unread 09-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #36
xer0
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well I want to get my hands on the jeep, and yes there are a lot of hemi jeeps but I am talking about the crd right now. And the crd are kinda rare around here.
Unread 09-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #37
LouC
2007 WK 

Run from that one. If the mpg of the Hemi does not bother you go for the newest one you can afford. I bought my 07 in 09 with 22,000 miles for about half price. It was in very good to excellent condition and now has 65,000 miles on it. It has needed just a battery, brake pads and I did a tune up. Overall quite reliable.
Unread 09-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #38
WieSeL

Maintenance costs and repairs are much higher on a diesel
WieSeL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #39
Drewd

Maintenance costs are not higher on a diesel. repair costs may be depending on what goes bad but labor should be free cuz if you don't work on your own Jeep, you need to get a pair.
Drewd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #40
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewd View Post
Maintenance costs are not higher on a diesel. repair costs may be depending on what goes bad but labor should be free cuz if you don't work on your own Jeep, you need to get a pair.
The crd takes a higher grade of oil and more of it; hence more money, the fuel filters are required every 15k, not on the hemi; hence more money. I've heard of people having multiple issues with various parts on the crd (not saying all hemis are bulletproof,) and parts are more expensive due to it being a Mercedes product; injectors, turbo, dpfe, etc. And I do all the work on my Jeep myself as I am an ase certified tech
Unread 09-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #41
modernblueWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WieSeL View Post
The crd takes a higher grade of oil and more of it; hence more money, the fuel filters are required every 15k, not on the hemi; hence more money. I've heard of people having multiple issues with various parts on the crd (not saying all hemis are bulletproof,) and parts are more expensive due to it being a Mercedes product; injectors, turbo, dpfe, etc. And I do all the work on my Jeep myself as I am an ase certified tech
Diesel costs more usually also. The increased mpg is negligible with increased cost of diesel.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #42
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK
Diesel costs more usually also. The increased mpg is negligible with increased cost of diesel.
Some have reported getting the same MPG as the Hemi. Add the additional cost of the CRD with the additional cost of the fuel, that's pretty big price to pay for less power than a VVT (08-10) Hemi.

Basiclly if the CRD was worth anything it would still be here (in a jeep), not a failed attempt (in a jeep)!
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #43
james_2k
2009 WK 

erm, the newest jeep still comes with a 3.0 crd. even if its a slightly tweak model.
james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #44
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_2k
erm, the newest jeep still comes with a 3.0 crd. even if its a slightly tweak model.
Totally different engine and manufacture. Old 3.0 CRD-Mercedes Benz. New 3.0 CRD-VM (GM).
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #45
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post

Totally different engine and manufacture. Old 3.0 CRD-Mercedes Benz. New 3.0 CRD-VM (GM).
Yeah the new diesel isn't an mb product but a VM, made in Ferrara Italy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.