Help: Is there an aftermarket radio head unit... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Help: Is there an aftermarket radio head unit...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
Marcus86GLHS

Help: Is there an aftermarket radio head unit...

....that is a direct replacement for the factory 2008 WK double-DIN my gig touch screen radio head unit? one that does not require me to cut/modify the factory wiring or factory mounting are? one that allows me to retain the back-up camera feed and steering wheel controls?

there must be a thousand aftermarket units out there that can work but require modifying the wiring, or the mounting, or both.

help! (thanks)

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
colinzj
2006 WK 

If anyone's modifying the wiring, they're doing it horribly wrong; adapter harnesses have been commonplace since the late 80s and should always be used.

That aside, the long and the short of it is that no, you're not going to fit a Double DIN stereo without mounting or trim modifications because the MyGIG is not Double DIN.

The MyGIG units use an 8.125" x 3.75" opening. The DIN system is based on a roughly 7" width and a roughly 2" height; Double DIN is ~7" x ~4". Some aftermarket trim is available if you don't want to modify your factory trim, but obviously you can't neatly fit a 7x4 radio in an 8x3.75 hole without something being modified.
Unread 10-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Contact Crutchfield: http://www.crutchfield.com/ I just purchased a Jensen SatNav radio replacement for my '05 Escalade, and they told me what adapters I needed to get the steering wheel controls, XM and OnStar to work with the new unit. They should be able to help you out.
caddydaddy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
Marcus86GLHS

^thanks I'll give them a try.

I just measured my original head unit, it is 3.73" tall and 8.00" wide, this the portion that projects thru the fascia (the opening in the fascia is slightly larger than those dimensions), so that isn't a true double DIN? That explains a lot, many of the descriptions I see for refurbished factory units describe the units as "double DIN", so that would be wrong?

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Unread 10-15-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
Marcus86GLHS

ok now I have the full picture: when a radio is called double DIN they are referring to the CHASSIS size, not necessarily the face plate size.

the factory chassis is not true double din, it is 7 inches wide but only 3.25 thick, even though the face plate is true double din.

so the issue is that aftermarket double din chassis are too thick (the face plates are fine), when you install a 4" thick chassis in a WK it will go in about 3/4 the way in then hit the dash bracing, which would have to be cut.

out of luck, its back to the factory crap=o=la unit.

Unread 10-15-2014, 11:54 PM   #6
ggrassmid

Look at the RER's out of a Chrysler 200, those are supposed to be the low speed models and work with our WKs, then at least you get the updated maps and bluetooth streaming.
Also, just a wire harness in teh dash may not work. Do you have the factory amp? The head-unit and amp are designed to work together, the amp, I believe, will not work with an aftermarket head-unit.
ggrassmid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2014, 01:20 AM   #7
Marcus86GLHS

the RER's are very pricey, at least the ones I found are, double the cost of what I have now.....yes my WK has the Boston acoustics system with the big amp and yes you are right many of the aftermarket wiring harnesses do not support all of the factory functions.

i've never had an issue with the factory unit's performance only its lousy reliability, my WK has just over 22,000 miles on it and I will be on my third head unit!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.