Help! Steering issues... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Help! Steering issues...

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 10-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
Arfrsairbrush
2006 WK 

Help! Steering issues...

Over the weekend i installed the ome hd kit, 1.5" spacers and a set of new rubicon take-offs. I took my time installing everything, double checked, and torqued everything to spec! I then went to get an alignment.

While driving, entering the freeway on one of those loops, the driver front tire seems to be heavily pulsing as if it were sliding or something.

I have done the pinchwield mod and i have plenty of clearance when turning the wheel from end to end. No rubbing has been noted.

I have also tried turning slowly in a parking lot, with the wheel locked to each side to try and reproduce the issue, no luck.

It seems only to happen on a 2/3 turn or so, only when turning right. It is scary as hell... Any ideas? Im taking it back to the alignment shop first thing in the morning.

Arfrsairbrush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2014, 12:22 AM   #2
BlackGeep
2007 WK 

Good opportunity for random guesses here 😀... might think about the tire or wheel itself, check the balance maybe lost a weight in transportation. Next the spacers, hub centric? Let us know the outcome?

BlackGeep
BlackGeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2014, 12:33 AM   #3
Arfrsairbrush
2006 WK 

The tires were just balanced with my tpms sensors, and the spacers are spidertrax hub centric
Unread 10-17-2014, 02:57 PM   #4
Arfrsairbrush
2006 WK 

Will the ome lift and bigger wheels/tires throw any other component out of line to where it would be under stress and reproduce these symptoms?
Unread 10-18-2014, 04:37 AM   #5
danb303
2005 WK 

Have you checked your wheel bearings?

I'm curious if it could have something to do with the ESP system?

Possibly turn the esp off and see if it still does it.
Unread 10-18-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
Arfrsairbrush
2006 WK 

Went back to the alignment shop and everything was good to go. So i found out that the issue was the traction control wigging out. A simple push of the t/c button "turned off" the traction control, and the problem reoccurred. To completely turn off the t/c you have to be at a complete stop then hold the t/c button for 5 seconds. You will hear a chime, the light turns on on the dash, then it prompts you that the t/c is off...

... Whew! Im glad it was a quick fix rather than being something wrong with my suspension. My next step is to find a permanent solution. Could a dealer "flash" my t/c or re calibrate it to my new ride height and tire size, or do i need to pull the fuse? Any input would be appreciated!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.