help with seat belts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > help with seat belts

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
kaptnknemo
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

help with seat belts

The center rear seat belt shoulder strap is stuck in the totally retracted position. Jeep want $270 for a brand new assembly, even though the belt and buckle are in perfect shape. Does anyone know if this is a DIY replacement? How can I take the seat apart to get to it?

TIA KK

2005 Laredo

kaptnknemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
a_kraker99
2006 WK 

Me too

I just jumped on this forum to find an answer to the same question. My rear seatbelt on my 2006 Laredo is stuck in the retracted position. I cant even put the seat back up because it is so tight.
If anyone knows a way to fix this please help us!

Any recalls on this?
a_kraker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
merlinTec

Hi
Yes what happens is the plastic stop that stops the belt retracting when you tilt the seat gets broken off so the belt goes in too far and then you can’t get the belt back out. You need to fool the seat that the seat is in the upright position so you can unreal the belt then you just need to insert a new stop. I need to remember if you can just set the catch in the lock position to release the belt but from memory I think I needed to remove the cover around the catch and pull on the cable.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 09-20-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
onlyone
2014 JK Wrangler 

Seems to me it should be covered under warranty due to safety issues. Federal safety stuff. You might check your warranty info in your booklet.
Unread 09-21-2008, 02:58 AM   #5
merlinTec

Hi
No warranty as it’s only a plastic stop that fits on the belt itself. I wouldn’t even cover it if was only 1 year old as it most likely got hooked on something and got broken off and there is no safety issue. But when the customer is expecting to pay for a new belt a 10p plastic stop they are very happy.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 09-21-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
onlyone
2014 JK Wrangler 

Just go to the junkyard and find a new one. Merlin, I could guarantee that if mine breaks my dealer would fix it. Sounds like crappy service to me. I wouldn't spread that kind of service around the Jeepforums.
Unread 09-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
merlinTec

Hi
LOL one from a junkyard would cost you more then just replacing the clip + the time to replace the belt so why would you do that?
Unread 09-21-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyone View Post
Just go to the junkyard and find a new one. Merlin, I could guarantee that if mine breaks my dealer would fix it. Sounds like crappy service to me. I wouldn't spread that kind of service around the Jeepforums.
Hi
If warranty wanted the belt back and find it's not faulty it's just the stop broken then they would refuse the claim so I would end up paying. For a good customer I would replace the clip for free if it was in for other work but I am not going to give away seat belts for free, would you, would anyone?
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 09-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #9
onlyone
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec View Post
Hi
If warranty wanted the belt back and find it's not faulty it's just the stop broken then they would refuse the claim so I would end up paying. For a good customer I would replace the clip for free if it was in for other work but I am not going to give away seat belts for free, would you, would anyone?
Regards,
Merlin
If it is under warranty, yes. If it needs a clip, fix the clip. Good customer service goes a long way, and makes the dealership quite a bit of money in the long run.
Unread 09-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #10
merlinTec

Hi
Well I took some pics today this is the clip/stop that gets broken (some how) but I canít find this clip to replace it and so it need a new belt. But the clip the other side the local DIY shop sell so thatís what I replace it with instead of replacing the belt and it works fine. Hope this helps you.
Regards,
Merlin
100_0922.jpg   100_0923.jpg  
Unread 09-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #11
a_kraker99
2006 WK 

I couldnt get my belt to pull out even when the seat was in the upright position. Now I cant even get it to the upright position becuase the belt is so tight. Is there a way to get to the mechanism inside the seat to fix it? The back almost looks like it could come off with some kind of zipper or something but I cant figure it out.
Unread 09-24-2008, 08:59 AM   #12
merlinTec

Hi
The seat has to be locked back in place and in the up right position and slack in the belt for it to release. You can knock the catch over so you don’t need it lock all the way back if it helps to get some slack in the belt when it’s in the upright position but if not you will need to undue the bolt holding the bottom so you get some slack it should then release. To do this remove the two bolts under the seat one on each side and the base should then lift up and give you access to the bolt that hold the bottom of the belt. Then with the it locked back, upright and slack in the belt it should release.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 09-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #13
a_kraker99
2006 WK 

That would only work with the side rear setabelts right? Mine is the middle belt that is stuck. At one point the seat was in the upright position with a little slack and it still wouldnt release. How much slack is needed? We tried to tilt the seat down to get more slack but it just kept getting tighter to the point where we cant even put the seat back up anymore.
Unread 09-24-2008, 10:16 AM   #14
merlinTec

Hi
No, I am talking about the middle seat belt as well. It not only has to be upright but also the catch locked by hand or pushed all back into place and then there must be slack. The reason it keeps getting tighter is because the stop is broken like i posted above.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 09-24-2008, 10:33 AM   #15
a_kraker99
2006 WK 

okay, thank you. I will have to take a look and see if I can find the bolts to loosen when I get home. Got any ideas for what I should do to replace the broken plastic stop?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.