Help removing screw - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Help removing screw

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
bmgrosso
2008 WK 

Help removing screw

One of the screws holding rack on my roof wont come out. It just keep spinning when I try to unscrew it. I tried pulling on it with plyers but cant get a good enough grip on it. I also sprayed it with WD-40 which didnt do much. I cant tell if the threads are ruined or if the threads are just spinning with the screw kindve like a bolt would. The pictures below show what the threads from the other side look like and the screw thats stuck. Any ideas how to get it out? I think it might be in there too far to stick something under it and pry up while unscrewing if that makes sense...

imag0162.jpg   imag0163.jpg   imag0164.jpg  
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
TangoTango
2008 WK 

drill it.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

I think the threaded insert has come loose from the sheet metal and is just spinning. Not sure what the solution is though...
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:45 AM   #4
gamma500
2005 WK 

Anyway you can get a pair of needle nose Vicegrips into the underside hole and fix the insert from spinning ? If so might be able to unscrew the Torx bolt or at least fix insert while drilling it out. I fixed a spinning Nutsert like this once by drilling an oblique hole through it into the body metal and screwing in a sheet metal screw.
gamma500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
bmgrosso
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trax95008 View Post
I think the threaded insert has come loose from the sheet metal and is just spinning. Not sure what the solution is though...
Yea I think you might be right and neither am I..

Quote:
Anyway you can get a pair of needle nose Vicegrips into the underside hole and fix the insert from spinning ? If so might be able to unscrew the Torx bolt or at least fix insert while drilling it out. I fixed a spinning Nutsert like this once by drilling an oblique hole through it into the body metal and screwing in a sheet metal screw.
I'll take a look and see if I can make this happen.
Unread 04-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Drill a small hole in the insert on either side of the bolt head . then use some bent nose ring pliers to hold the insert while you unscrew the torx .(or small needle nose if you have as long as the ends will fit into the holes you drilled)
good luck
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
modernblueWK

Can you pry the rack up to put tension on the nutsert. Then try unscrewing it?
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.