Help removing adhesive tape from roof. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Help removing adhesive tape from roof.

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 04-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
bmgrosso
2008 WK 

Help removing adhesive tape from roof.

I bought a jeep that didn't come with side rails for the roof so I just bought some online. I went to remove the pieces on top where the side rails go thinking it would be simply removing the screws only to find there is a track under them that is attached by this really sticky adhesive tape or something and I have no clue how to get that off.

The first picture is what I have now, then a picture of the track that is under them and finally a picture of the adhesive that I need help removing. Any advice would be really helpful.

imag0155.jpg   imag0156.jpg   imag0157.jpg  
Unread 04-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
toycam

Hair dryer to heat it up and use your thumb to roll it off. Or use goo gone or wd40
Unread 04-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
bmgrosso
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toycam View Post
Hair dryer to heat it up and use your thumb to roll it off. Or use goo gone or wd40
I'm not really having trouble getting the thicker stuff off but the really thin layer right at the beginning is what I can't get up. I'll try wd40.
Unread 04-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
colinzj
2006 WK 

The instructions call for a 3M Stripe Off wheel, which is undoubtedly the easiest and least painless way to go about this. If you want to make short work of it then tossing a Stripe Off wheel in your power drill will do it.

If you've got a paint and body store in the area, they usually run around $25 or $30. Whether the time saved is worth that price is your decision.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.