HELP please: Replacing liftgate strut supports! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > HELP please: Replacing liftgate strut supports!

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #46
mdamen

I changed mine out with some generic brans struts off ebay. With two new struts, my wife couldn't close the liftgate. I had to put one bad one back on to make it reasonable.
The old units were AVM. I'm thinking they were original. Anyone had issue with the struts being too strong?

mdamen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #47
DRCracker
"The Grizz"

2006 WK 

I got a pair of Monroe's and they were super strong.
I'm 165lbs and I had to put alot of weight into them to get it closed.
Popping the latch, the tailgate would hit me in the face as it shot open.

After a few weeks they lightened up, and are reasonable now.

TC
Dark Khaki 2011 #9104 Wheels, Firestone Destination A/T 265/70/17's.
OME HD lift. Dark Khaki Matrix Brush Guard, Dark Khaki Painted Headlight Bezels.
Hemi Club #65 // Khaki WK Club #40
DRCracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #48
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCracker View Post
Popping the latch, the tailgate would hit me in the face as it shot open.
Better than getting hit in the back of the head when you are getting some things out of the back. I have had this happen, and it sucks.

I will take new strong struts any day over the alternative. Just stand back when you set it free. I have done the tailgate struts on my last three Jeeps. I also do the struts for the hood and the rear glass. New struts make it feel like a whole new ride.
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #49
phottomatt
2010 JK Wrangler 

Did mine yesterday, 15 minutes, I used the Strong Arm 6104s, they were exactly the same length as the ones that were on the vehicle (OEM). $35.54 for 2 inc. shipping (carparts.com), the hatch works great but is a little difficult to close now for my wife, I assume that it will get a little easier as they break in some. Thanks for all the ideas and part no.s on here.
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #50
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

I used Strong Arm also. Picked them up at a local shop and had them on in less than 10 minutes. Easy job to do but helps to have a second set of hands to hold the glass up while you swap the struts.
Unread 03-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #51
fairway551
2006 WK 

Liftgate Supports

I have a 2006 GC Limited. I bought the StrongArm 6104 supports from Amazon.com through merchant Lift Supports Depot. Free shipping and only $15.75 each. They arrived in three days and it took all of 10 minutes to install both of them. No problems at all. Just have an extra pair of arms to push the tailgate up that last inch and you can thread the torx bolts in by hand. Snug them up and you are DONE.
fairway551 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #52
chrali
2006 XK Commander 

I replaced my tailgate struts with some from SGS engineering for about £60 for both. These used the same ball and socket fixings, so just popped off an on. They also required you to let a bit of gas out with via an allen key to get the operation you need. They work fine but they are getting rusty, where the OEM looked new. I changed them by myself at work, and it came as a rude shock to my head that even a bad strut was still taking a lot of weight, cause I wasn't expecting that.
chrali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.