HELP please: Replacing liftgate strut supports! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > HELP please: Replacing liftgate strut supports!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #16
Rwebber77
2005 WK 

I also replaced mine with StrongArm and didn't have any issues. The only problem I had was it being -20 when I did it

Unread 04-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #17
Onorok

Just read the full post, nvm.
Onorok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #18
holopawer

I just did mine on my 99 right before I traded it in. They were just like yours. My nine year old daughter was helping me, and we really had to lift the gate higher than what felt natural. It is a tight fit, and it wasn't easy at all. I think I might have left the top bolt not threaded in all the way, you know, just started, and then lifted the gate as high as I possibly could while I made the lower bolt. Don't feel like the lone ranger, or as if it was your incompetence, by any means. From the picture I can see that you do good work and are not stupid. They are just kind of a pill to install!
holopawer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 07:57 PM   #19
cmassey_2006
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by holopawer View Post
I just did mine on my 99 right before I traded it in. They were just like yours. My nine year old daughter was helping me, and we really had to lift the gate higher than what felt natural. It is a tight fit, and it wasn't easy at all. I think I might have left the top bolt not threaded in all the way, you know, just started, and then lifted the gate as high as I possibly could while I made the lower bolt. Don't feel like the lone ranger, or as if it was your incompetence, by any means. From the picture I can see that you do good work and are not stupid. They are just kind of a pill to install!
Thanks, man. Appreciate it. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who's run into this problem.

2007 Silver Jeep WK Laredo 4x4: (Sold) 10K miles, 3.7L V6, auto...

1998 Blue Jeep XJ 4x4: (Sold) @ 156K miles, I6, AW4 tranny, several mods...
cmassey_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 05:38 AM   #20
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I just did six struts last night on the WJ (two for hood, two for hatch, and two for the lift glass in the hatch). I did them by myself using a golf umbrella to hold up the hatch. I spent a total of $71 shipped from Rock Auto for all six (four Tuff Support [hatch and hood], and two Monroe [lift glass]).

It was a bit of a pain, and I had the same issue that the hatch struts are longer than the span between the mounting points, and you cannot compress with your hands. I went straight to the use of ratcheting aircraft tie-downs. I wrapped that around both ends of the strut and compressed them with the tie-downs. I had to fight with them a bit, but it worked nicely. I did the same with my rear shocks install on my ZJ a few years back.

Once I got the ball joint threaded studs started, I found that using a large socket with the appropriate torque fitting allowed me to really snug the studs down.

The glass struts were a bit easier, and the hood struts were very easy.

Now, I have to do the four main suspension shocks, and I will have all ten shocks/struts on the WJ refreshed. I have the front two Bilstein HD shocks in the attic ready to go. I just need to order two more Bilstein HD shocks for the rear and do the install. That is more of a Saturday project.
Unread 04-14-2010, 07:24 AM   #21
Pac Man
1996 XJ Cherokee 

That's what I was thinking as I read through this thread. Take BOTH old struts off first, then the liftgate can opened further. Then put the new ones on.

Or, Instead of tightening the top strut bolt (on the autozone struts) all the way and then trying to get the bottom started; Just tighten the top a few turns and then get the bottom started. There will be more play this way.
Hemi - QDII - OME - S4XC Hidden Winch Mount -Talon 9.5SR - Full Matrix - 265/70/17 Duratrac's - Pintlers- Superchips - Magnaflow - Airaid - 5000k HIDs - Lightforce HID's - 4xG Front Guard - 4XG Diff Cover
Pac Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #22
Lou4351

2008 Jeep Liftgate supports

Greetings: It appears that in 2007 AVM (strong Arm) was the OEM supplier for all Jeep lift Supports #46104. In 2008 Stabilus (ZF Industries) won the bidding war and became the supplier for the Jeep supports. AVM uses the threaded bolt version as show in some of these pictures and ZF uses the ball stud version. We have been working with some of our customers and have found the correct aftermarket support to be part number SG314044 which we will be adding to our catalog shortly. I hope that this has been helpful.
Thank You, Lou Fishman, Lift Supports Depot.Com..1-760-744-2956 San Marcos CA.
Lou4351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #23
kkuty
2006 WK 

Is the glass suppose to open by itself all the way once you hit the button on the remote?

I remember when I first bought my 06 WK that the glass would open by itself. It stopped doing that recently so I replaced the lifts with aftermarket and it still doesn't open on its own.

Any thoughts? Perhaps I should go Mopar?
kkuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #24
criket
2005 WK 

On my 05, the glass just pops open when I hit the remote but doesn't go all the way up (I think this is what you are reffering too) and the struts are stock (I think).

Are you wanting it to open all the way once the button is pressed for times when your hands are full of stuff?
2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG antenna mount | Rola roof
criket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #25
kkuty
2006 WK 

Mine used to open all the way. Not anymore.
kkuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #26
criket
2005 WK 

Mine never did so I don't know what I'm missing, lol
2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG antenna mount | Rola roof
criket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #27
mseibt
2005 WK 

I replaced all the struts of my 2005 @ 40k miles. Each of the back hatch struts was weak and the hood strut wouldn't keep the hood open at all. I purchased the Autozone Strong Arms y'all have pictured which cost around $16 apiece on average. The hood was a piece of cake and the liftgate struts went on without too much trouble, a 10 - 15 minute job to do them all. The hard part for me was holding up the tailgate with one hand and mounting the strut with the other using a swiss army style folding torx wrench. I don't recall any over extension of the strut length that prevented the bolts from lining up, I clearly remember my arm complaining trying to hold up that damn tailgate though! As far as the Strong Arms, they have a lifetime warranty and seem to be a decent quality. They have no problem holding up the tailgate in fact it takes a pretty heavy tug to get it back down now. If one of the struts did fail I wouldn't mess with the warranty and just go buy another one, they're cheap. I didn't notice anyone else with a 2005 mention any trouble so maybe the install discrepancy is a model year thing.
mseibt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #28
jeremyAZ
2006 WK 

Saw this thread..no activity for about 1.5 years! I'm going to grab the liftgate struts from Autozone this week, if they are in stock, and will attempt to replace them on my '06 WK. I'm mechanically challenged but will report how it goes. If anybody has any recommendations that can save time/effort please let me know. Thanks for all the previous posts as I now have a little bit of confidence--probably just enough to get myself into trouble.
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #29
ItsMeKO3
2007 JK Wrangler 

Let me know how that goes. I need to replace mine as well. Just haven't gotten around to it.

Sent from my DROID4 using JeepForum
Unread 10-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #30
jeremyAZ
2006 WK 

I ended up ordering the StrongArm 6104 struts from eBay for $29 which was fulfilled by liftsupportsdepot.com. I borrowed a T40 torx wrench from a friend-but was especially helpful is that the wrench was a socket type and allowed one hand to keep twisting while the other was holding the liftgate up. I did have a brace to help hold the liftgate, but I just didn't trust that it wouldn't come crashing down and break my arm.

I'll post pictures of the struts. I did one side at a time and screwed in the top first about 1/3 of the way before putting in the bottom screw. I think it helped a lot because there is an angle that is more difficult on the top, whereas the bottom is pretty straight.

Once complete, there is a noticable difference between my blown struts and these. The liftgate goes right up with just a light grab--whereas before I had to manually heave the liftgate up. Anyway, these work great, fit perfectly and took only 20 minutes or so to install myself.
photo-3-.jpg   photo-2-.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.