Help! Piece of tire rearranged my front bumper! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Help! Piece of tire rearranged my front bumper!

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
ugadawg_500
2008 WK 

Help! Piece of tire rearranged my front bumper!

Hi All,

Well, first off, I'm new here, so "hello." As my thread stated, I was the lucky recipient of a piece of "road tire" that the vehicle in front of me threw into my front bumper (front passenger side, specifically). When I got home and looked at the damage, I found the following:

1) Corner of bumper pushed in but not cracked - I was able to pop it out by hand with no visible damage
2) Passenger half of the bumper shifted and the tabs popped out
3) A wire was dangling loose (in testing my lights, I noticed that the passenger side high beam does not work but both the low beam lights do - I have the HID lights)
4) The passenger side chrome radiator cover plastic anchors popped out

So far, that's all I've seen. Now, my question: How hard is it to remove and put the bumpers all back together correctly? The driver side is still anchored and aligned, but when I tried to push the passenger side back into place, it wasn't having it. Is this something I should just swing by the dealer and have the body shop do for me? Or should I save the $ and just invest some elbow grease? Also, what are the odds that the dangling wire has something to do with the high beam not working? Are the high beams and the HID lights run by separate wires?

As background, this is a 2008 GC Limited with the 4.7L V8. This is my 3rd GC and I've had 2 Wranglers (TJ and JK). All the car work I've done was on the wranglers, so I'm just not as familiar with the GC. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

ugadawg_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
colinzj
2006 WK 

If you've got a Harbor Freight nearby it should be doable, but you will need a rivet gun and a bunch of (nylon?) rivets to put all the front end pieces back together. HF sells rivet guns with the required rivets for a fraction of what you'd pay anywhere else.

Given where you got smacked, I'd put money on the dangling wire being the ambient temperature sensor.

I'm not familiar with the HID vehicles. If the high beams are just a normal halogen/xenon bulb, it's possible you just need a new bulb, especially if it was on at the time you go nailed.
Unread 08-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
rmcki17
2006 WK 

do you have fog lights? if not, the wiring is there tucked away and just behind the bumper, could be that.
rmcki17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
ugadawg_500
2008 WK 

Think this rivet gun will work?
http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-ri...ets-97757.html

I do have fog lights but haven't tested them to see if they both work yet. What's odd though is that the wire is dangling kind of in front of the radiator, almost in the middle. I was trying to research outside wiring on the WK but haven't had any luck yet. I'll keep looking but any help getting me pointed in the right direction on 1) how to rivet (youtube vid?) and 2) external WK wiring would be greatly appreciated! I'm thinking I might try to tackle this myself.
ugadawg_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Budasac
2005 WK 

Yes, that's the tool you need. It comes with an assortment of pom rivets. I used the same one when I removed my wheel well liners to mod my pinch weld.

Not sure what wire would be hanging in the middle of the radiator though.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
rmcki17
2006 WK 

there is a wrie that goes to the middle of the radiator plugs into the electric fan, could be that.
rmcki17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 07:12 AM   #7
08WKJGC
1998 ZJ 

This just happened to me driving home from work on friday. A whole tire tread flung up and hit the front drivers side of the bumper. It left a bunch of black marks and popped out the plastic by the fog light and now my washer reservoir leaks. The low fluid light came on right after the impact and now when I try to refill it the fluid just pours out the bottom by the pump. Does the front bumper have to come off to fix this? I have the rivet tool but I'm out if rivets.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.