Help with new lift & tires.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Help with new lift & tires..

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
SamanthaAnn
2008 WK 

Help with new lift & tires..

I just lifted my 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee ..2 inches and put on 265/65 18 tires on. Looks awesome, love the ride.. EXCEPT i can't make sharp turns.. or it hits some metal piece behind the two front wheels.. i can't get technical because i have no idea what anything is under there, all i no is i can't even pull out of a tight parking space without it hitting this metal.. the place where i got it done said he wouldn't use spacers because he hates them.. he's had bad experiences with them .. okay fine.. so my other option was to put some sort of rubber piece of the metal so it just bounces off of it, but that still won't get rid of the problem.. OR he said to get a rim with 0 offset so that the rim sticks out and prevents the tire from hitting the metal.. does this make sense to anyone because I'm just confused and personally i don't have 800 to spend on new rims.. but if that's what i have to do so that i can actually turn and not worry about popping a tire, ill do it.

SamanthaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

I hate to say it, and I know it doesn't help, but it would have been really easy to research this before you put the tires on. Your best bet will be spacers. Use loctite and proper torque and you will be fine
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
06WKHEMI
2006 WK 

I'd rather spend 200 on a set of good spacers than 800 on rims
2006 Black wk overland HEMI QDII. OME HD bilstein struts with 58643 monroe load levelers RRO uca, afe cold air intake,hella 500FF behind grille, RC 1.5 wheel spacers s4xc cb antenna mount with 5ft firestik and midland 1001wx CB,265/70-17 falken rockymountain ats, pinch weld mod, door lock mod, Rola basket with 2 Hella 500 FF`s.
06WKHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

im runnin 255/70R18 and i cant full lock either for the same problem

and i dont think spacers will help
just dont full lock, thats what i do lol
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
notransitory128
2005 WK 

Why not just get spacers and do the pinch weld mod?
Unread 11-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Search on here for the front pinch weld mod. Its pretty easy to do, about 30 mins a side. That will be all you need. Covered in at least a dozen threads. The spacer will give you more clearance to the upper balljoint bolt.

Dave
2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Valpacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
Rak187INF
2009 WK 

I had the same problem. Im running 265/70/17, the tires would rub on the sway bar. I added 1.5 inch RC spacers which got rid of that problem, but now I rub a little on the pinch weld. But as stated earlier, it's an easy fix, I just haven't gotten to it yet. But you do have options, you just have to work around the issues
Black WK Member #28
2009 WK- 2 Inch RC lift, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2
Rak187INF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
Budasac
2005 WK 

Is this where it's rubbing?
dscn3403.jpg  
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

I'm thinking he means what buda posted. It'll rub the bottom of the wheel well, you just gotta bend it over a little. It'll also rub the swaybar but that's pretty minimal.
Blue WK Club Member #32
t3kmitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #10
SamanthaAnn
2008 WK 

yeah i think so.. but like i said I'm not actually taking the car apart myself .. i wish i could and i wish i knew more about this stuff ..but all i know is if i'm backing out of a spot i can't even turn the wheel all the way without it making a pretty loud noise and it freaks me out. i hate it.. so i need to correct it asap
Unread 11-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
Budasac
2005 WK 

If it's rubbing in the same place as the picture all you need to do is give it a couple of good hits with a small sledge hammer. No need to take anything apart, just turn the wheel and go to town.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
2008Me
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaAnn View Post
yeah i think so.. but like i said I'm not actually taking the car apart myself .. i wish i could and i wish i knew more about this stuff ..but all i know is if i'm backing out of a spot i can't even turn the wheel all the way without it making a pretty loud noise and it freaks me out. i hate it.. so i need to correct it asap
Do everyone here a favor and talk to someone who has a clue what he/she is talking about, have them look at it and relay what they say to here.... Or better yet you LOOK yourself to see where its rubbing, theres plenty of pictures all over the net. to tell u what part it is that its hitting.

This is what your telling us and wanting a description of how to fix it in other words............
I turn the steering wheel and the tires hit something....................

Its kinda hard to help you out with just tha being said.... The guys have done a good job narrowing it down for you........... Go look right now take a flash light itll be obvious and report back
2008Me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #13
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

Buda says "good hits" with a small sledge, I just want to emphasize the "good." Steel can be underestimated in its strength. You will need to give it a little bit to get it to bend out of the way enough. I sprayed it with a little undercoating after, but that may just be my ocd kicking in.

I'm just assuming based on your lack of knowledge. No offense, just want you to know what to expect. If you really don't want to mess with it get spacers installed correctly. But even that will require you to check them periodically, or find a shop that will do it for you. If you set it and forget it that's where you run into the bad stories.
Blue WK Club Member #32
t3kmitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #14
SamanthaAnn
2008 WK 

Yup looks like i'll be giving it a couple good hits, thanks guys

Tags
lift advice , new tire , tire , tires rubbing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.