Help me choose a tire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Help me choose a tire

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

View Poll Results: What tire?
Hankook Dynapro MT 2 25.00%
Goodyear Duratrac 5 62.50%
Other (please include in comment) 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 07-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
BoraBora
2006 WK 

Help me choose a tire

Hey guys,

So I'm torn between the Hankook Dynapro MT and the Goodyear Duratrac. Whatever tire I purchase will be a 285/70/R17. I'm looking for an aggressive tire that won't break the bank, and isn't too heavy. Any opinions or suggestions?

2006 Black WK, Modified OME HD ~3.5'', Bilstein 5100's, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, Black JK Moabs, 285/70/R17 Duratracs, 7W Reverse LED's, tow hooks, 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill, Expanded sheet metal grill, ORT badge, Tail light guards, Firestik 3', Aux. input, Black housing headlights, Stingray roof basket, 2 Hella 500ffs on roof rack, 18% tint.
BoraBora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I don't think you can use the term "aggressive tire" with the selection above!

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
WJ4x4LIFE

There are a few comments on if option A. or option B. would be better. I will say that the Dynapro MT has issues in the rain and snow conditions, but does well in everything else. To move to the Goodyear, I tend to stay away from this brand for personal reasons, but again this tire suffers for the same in snow conditions, yet overall a general well built tire as well. If I were to choose a bolder more aggressive pattern tire, so basically a M/T tire. I would lean more to "Toyo Open Country M/T" or a "Cooper discoverer STT". Best of luck on your choice of tire and let us know what you have chosen.
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
BoraBora
2006 WK 

I wish I could get Trail Grapplers like you had Omelet but they're so frickin heavy...and expensive!
2006 Black WK, Modified OME HD ~3.5'', Bilstein 5100's, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, Black JK Moabs, 285/70/R17 Duratracs, 7W Reverse LED's, tow hooks, 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill, Expanded sheet metal grill, ORT badge, Tail light guards, Firestik 3', Aux. input, Black housing headlights, Stingray roof basket, 2 Hella 500ffs on roof rack, 18% tint.
Unread 07-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
BoraBora
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ4x4LIFE View Post
There are a few comments on if option A. or option B. would be better. I will say that the Dynapro MT has issues in the rain and snow conditions, but does well in everything else. To move to the Goodyear, I tend to stay away from this brand for personal reasons, but again this tire suffers for the same in snow conditions, yet overall a general well built tire as well. If I were to choose a bolder more aggressive pattern tire, so basically a M/T tire. I would lean more to "Toyo Open Country M/T" or a "Cooper discoverer STT". Best of luck on your choice of tire and let us know what you have chosen.
Aren't the Toyos really heavy like the Nittos? Hmm completely looked over the Coopers by accident.
Unread 07-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Ya I know, I would have suggested the Nittos, but I know they are quite heavy.

Between your two options I would go with the Hankook Dynapro MT. If you are worried about snow/ice traction then you can give them a little siping.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
RMC_xj
2007 WK 

Having owned Duratracs, I can attest that they are an incredible tire. They'll eat up slush, snow, water, mud, pavement and everything in between! The ONLY issue I had was due to user error: a lack of alignment and a lack of rotating the tires cause some unever wear.
RMC_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
Goldenknob
2007 WK 

I like these tires, Couragia M/T's I bought them for my offroad 94 jeep cherokee and have no complaints, they clean out well. I live in lower Oklahoma so I cannot say how the snow or ice traction is.
Goldenknob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:57 AM   #9
BoraBora
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenknob View Post
I like these tires, Couragia M/T's I bought them for my offroad 94 jeep cherokee and have no complaints, they clean out well. I live in lower Oklahoma so I cannot say how the snow or ice traction is.
Wow those look nice, and are cheap. How's the treadwear? Are they true to size? I don't want the tire to run small or skinny.
Unread 07-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
Goldenknob
2007 WK 

The treadwear seems good. yea they are true as far as the ones I bought. they were just 30.5 x 9.5 x 15. they see mostly offroad so their life should last longer than mostly highway.
Goldenknob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 04:29 AM   #11
BoraBora
2006 WK 

Hmmm the Dynapros seem to have the best reviews and won the mud tire shoot out against many top brand name mud tires. Seem to be mixed reviews on Duratracs and their balancing, weak side-walls and soft compound. Just noticed the Trail Grapplers are only 8 pounds more per tire. Is that enough weight per tire to cause a loss of power?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.