HELP - Front End Noise (over sharp bumps) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > HELP - Front End Noise (over sharp bumps)

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-18-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
jkrosky
2005 WK 

HELP - Front End Noise (over sharp bumps)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
5.7L Hemi, Quadra-Drive

I just bought this Jeep used with 33,000 miles and it looks like new. It drives great, runs great and looks to be taken very good care of.

After drving it for a few days now i've started to notice a somewhat loud thump noise when going over sharp bumps such as a raise or drop in the pavement or recessed manhole lid (20-40 mph). I don't hear anything when going over larger dips or speedbumps when theres more overall movement in the suspension.

I'm wondering if this is a standard occurance or if its somthing I should look into further? Could this Jeep just have a stiffer suspension than other SUVs I've owned? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by jkrosky; 01-18-2011 at 04:47 PM..
jkrosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
08Titan
2007 JK Wrangler 

Wow, congratulations on having the only 5.9 liter hemi ever made! LOL Just joking.

A lot of guys on here have had their front swaybar bushings go bad (my wifes are too) and that causes asharp clunking noise and feel when going over bumps because the swaybar is just clunking around in the mount. It's a fairly cheap and easy fix. There's a writeup on it here on this board somewhere. Most of the 05's (my wifes included) need the new updated brackets too to fit the new bushings. You can get all the parts at rockauto pretty cheap.

2005 WK Limited 4.7, QTII, Midnight blue pearlcoat. (Hers)
08Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
jkrosky
2005 WK 

HAHA, typo... I'm an idiot. Thanks for the info.
Unread 01-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
08Titan
2007 JK Wrangler 

No problem man, everybody makes mistakes. You might also want to check your balljoints because they are also kinda know for going bad on these jeeps. You can jack up your front end (tires have to be off the ground) and grab the top and bottom of the tire (12 o'clock and 6 o'clock posistion) and push/pull on the tire. There should be no movement. If there is your balljoints may be bad also. It's probably the swaybar bushings though. Not the endlinks but the actual bushings where it mounts to the front crossmember.

Unread 01-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
jkrosky
2005 WK 

Gotcha. I'll check the ball joints first. Let me know if you can find that post for replacement of the sway bar bushings. I'm still new to the forum. What all would you suggest to order from Rock Auto for this repair?
Unread 01-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
Budasac
2005 WK 

X2 on the front sway bushings. Mine went at 30,000 and again at 75,000. I know they changed the design of the bushings slightly when I went to change them the second time.. I was able to get the bushings from Napa but had to go to the dealer for the new brackets. I'd be willing to bet money that 's your problem. It seems to be pretty common.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
08Titan
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrosky View Post
Gotcha. I'll check the ball joints first. Let me know if you can find that post for replacement of the sway bar bushings. I'm still new to the forum. What all would you suggest to order from Rock Auto for this repair?
Here ya go!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/f...oints-1128317/

Unread 01-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
jkrosky
2005 WK 

Easy enough. I'll let you all know if this fixes it. Thanks for the help.
Unread 01-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #9
jkrosky
2005 WK 

I'm going to replace the sway bar bushings and brackets this weeked. I wondered if anyone has information and/or pics of the sway bar end links and how to replace them. I understand they are an easy/cheap fix as well. Thinking I may as well do them both at the same time. Thanks!
Unread 02-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
jkrosky
2005 WK 

Ok, I replaced the sway bar bushings and brackets.

The brushings they gave me at the dealership where a bit different than the blue ones described in the forum listed above. They did have the ridge down the middle of them but they were black and had the slit in at 12 oclock directly above the flat side. They also seemed to be a bit oversized. Really had to crank down the bolts to get them seated. The slit at the top never really closed up after tightening them.

The old ones looked fine. Rubber was still good, no corrotion or anything. It seems to have quieted the clunking noise a good deal. It still seems a bit loud to me, but I'm not as worried about it. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

Thanks!

Tags
bump , noise , sound , suspension , tires

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.