HELP!!!! ESP/BAS, Trac ctrl, ABS Lights on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > HELP!!!! ESP/BAS, Trac ctrl, ABS Lights on

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Body Mounted Tire CarrierBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 12-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
iceknite41
2007 WK 

HELP!!!! ESP/BAS, Trac ctrl, ABS Lights on

"Ok I have posted in the other ESP/BAS forum and no more postings.
This post is going to be a little long winded but it describes my problem to a T.
I was driving home the other night from NYC and my ESP/BAS, Trac Light and ABS lights came on along with the right front brake "locking up". As well as when my traction control is on, when I accelerate from a stop even slowly, the engine responds as if I was slipping and losing traction, sputtering power and then all of a sudden it just stops. Now along with all these other issues, Ive noticed that the MPG of my jeep has gone down dramatically since this all started. Ive been told the since the front right brakes keep locking up that the left front wheel sensor/wheel bearing could be bad, maybe, but that wouldnt explain the loss of power from the traction control when accelerating, but would explain the loss of MPG because of the added rolling resistance.

Im going to contact the NHTSA about this issue because I feel that if this were to happen to anyone who didnt know how to control a jeep they could possibly lose complete control because the ESP and Traction control stop working at this point, completely without warning. Anyone experienced any of the same instances. Please help if you have experienced anything along these lines and what the final solution was."

I did a search of my problem and found this post on the JK Wrangler forum from 2011. I'm having these exact issues now on my 2007 Grand Cherokee Overland and I'm wondering if anyone knows the exact issue. From the replies posted it would appear that's it's an ABS sensor with a bad contact or that simply needs replacing. I recently replaced the front wheel bearings/hub which includes the ABS sensor so it likely just came loose, wondering if somebody has this figured out before I get in there and check it out. Thanks

iceknite41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
tom19511
2006 WK 

Did this happen before or after you replaced the bearings?
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
rcarter36

I had a similar problem in my 2005 limited, minus the brake locking up. I noticed a significant drop in gas milage due to the wheel speed sensor wire being worn through.
rcarter36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
iceknite41
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom19511 View Post
Did this happen before or after you replaced the bearings?
After, which leads me to believe that it may just be a loose wire. I haven't noticed a drop in mileage so far.
iceknite41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
07WKLtd
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknite41 View Post
"Ok I have posted in the other ESP/BAS forum and no more postings.
This post is going to be a little long winded but it describes my problem to a T.
I was driving home the other night from NYC and my ESP/BAS, Trac Light and ABS lights came on along with the right front brake "locking up". As well as when my traction control is on, when I accelerate from a stop even slowly, the engine responds as if I was slipping and losing traction, sputtering power and then all of a sudden it just stops. Now along with all these other issues, Ive noticed that the MPG of my jeep has gone down dramatically since this all started. Ive been told the since the front right brakes keep locking up that the left front wheel sensor/wheel bearing could be bad, maybe, but that wouldnt explain the loss of power from the traction control when accelerating, but would explain the loss of MPG because of the added rolling resistance.

Im going to contact the NHTSA about this issue because I feel that if this were to happen to anyone who didnt know how to control a jeep they could possibly lose complete control because the ESP and Traction control stop working at this point, completely without warning. Anyone experienced any of the same instances. Please help if you have experienced anything along these lines and what the final solution was."

I did a search of my problem and found this post on the JK Wrangler forum from 2011. I'm having these exact issues now on my 2007 Grand Cherokee Overland and I'm wondering if anyone knows the exact issue. From the replies posted it would appear that's it's an ABS sensor with a bad contact or that simply needs replacing. I recently replaced the front wheel bearings/hub which includes the ABS sensor so it likely just came loose, wondering if somebody has this figured out before I get in there and check it out. Thanks
Haven't had the brakes lock up, but I've had an intermittent issue with the ABS & Traction Control light coming on during normal driving, and the EVIC displays "Service 4WD System". It ended up being the brake switch that was intermittently failing.
07WKLtd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2015, 02:25 PM   #6
tom19511
2006 WK 

Check the ABS sensors, may have a broken or worn wire.
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2015, 07:01 PM   #7
GregK340
2007 WK 

The better code readers (like at a dealer or better mechanics) will tell you which sensor isn't being picked up. It might save you a lot of time and money rather then just changing parts, without knowing for sure what the problem is. But you could check for an obvious broken or disconnected wire. on the wheel sensors or receiving units.
GregK340 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.