Help on changing the sway bar bushings-05 WK Limited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Help on changing the sway bar bushings-05 WK Limited

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 07-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
kennethmt
2005 WK 

Help on changing the sway bar bushings-05 WK Limited

The clunk noise from the front wheel while parking or driving slow came back. I will just go ahead and change the sway bar bushings. I am not mechanic savvy and would like to get some help from you guys on how to perform the job.

Couple things for now:

- a detail instruction would be very appreciated and stuff to watch out for.
- In the picture attached, I highlighted the 2 parts I need to order. Wanna make sure I won't be ordering the wrong parts.
- I heard there are 2 sizes for the bushings. 30MM and 33MM. How can I find out which ones I need before ordering them?

Thank you guys for helping out!

sway-bar.jpg  
kennethmt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
paroxysym
2007 WK 

justforjeeps.com, theyll ask for your vin number and get your squared away.
Unread 07-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
criket
2005 WK 

^This. Since yours is an 05, you'll probably be better off soaking the bolt heads on the sway bar bushings in penetrating oil the night before. It made mine a lot easier. Also, when changing them, don't let the sway bar fall on your head or arm. It hurts....
2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG antenna mount | Rola roof
criket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
kennethmt
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by criket View Post
^This. Since yours is an 05, you'll probably be better off soaking the bolt heads on the sway bar bushings in penetrating oil the night before. It made mine a lot easier. Also, when changing them, don't let the sway bar fall on your head or arm. It hurts....
Thx man. I will keep the "not letting the bar fall" part in mind. Do I need to remove the wheels too? I literally have no idea what I am going to do with this. What I have in mind is to take off the bolts, remove the bolts and brackets, replace the bushings and put it back together. I do think I am over simplifying things big time here. More sharing on your experience will be great.

Grease on the inside of the bushings?
Unread 07-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethmt View Post
Thx man. I will keep the "not letting the bar fall" part in mind. Do I need to remove the wheels too? I literally have no idea what I am going to do with this. What I have in mind is to take off the bolts, remove the bolts and brackets, replace the bushings and put it back together. I do think I am over simplifying things big time here. More sharing on your experience will be great.

yes
Unread 07-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
Chapman89
2011 JK Wrangler 

While you're ordering parts go ahead a get some end links. Trust me, if your bushings are shot then the end links are going to make noise soon as well.
Chapman89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
UtahWK
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethmt View Post

If you replace one at a time instead of pulling them both off at once you will eliminate the chance of having the sway bar fall and hit you

No, you do not need to remove the wheels. This job is just as easy as it looks. 15-20 minutes. Mine is also an '05 and I was able to get them off without soaking them, but I may have just been lucky. I have seen that suggestion multiple times so there must be something to it.

Good luck.
UtahWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
UtahWK
2005 WK 

Check out this thread. It will give you all the info you need including part numbers and where to order from: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/f...oints-1128317/
UtahWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #9
mailforjon
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapman89 View Post
While you're ordering parts go ahead a get some end links. Trust me, if your bushings are shot then the end links are going to make noise soon as well.
i dont agree. there is no need to replace parts that are not faulty.

as someone else mentioned, do one side at a time. you do not need to remove the wheels.

i ended up using a floor jack to get the bolts lined up again for re installation and to make it easier to remove the bolts once they have been loosened. i used an impact wrench and a few extensions/universal joints to take the bolts off.

-2005 WK 5.7 Limited [DD]
-1999 WJ 4.7 Limited [SOLD]
-1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited [SOLD]
-1996 ZJ 5.2 Laredo [SOLD]
-1994 ZJ 4.0 Laredo [SOLD]
-1993 XJ 2.5 [SOLD]
mailforjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
kennethmt
2005 WK 

Thank you guys for all the information. Ordered the parts from justforjeep and will work on the car next week once the part arrived. Will keep you all updated. Hopefully I won't need to go for the links.
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
Keimpe

I changed my front sway bar bushings, clunking sound is gone now. For my Jeep GC 2005 3.0 CRD WH it is partnr 52090155AH and 52090474AB, 33mm, just google for a good price. Be aware to put in the bolts straight, so don't demage the screw-thread.
Keimpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
JKM
2005 WK 

I would highlight recommend changing out the links at the same time. Probably an extra $50-60 for a set end links.
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.