Help - Blue Smoke - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-21-2016, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Penguin_Jeep
2006 WK 

Help - Blue Smoke

After idling for a few minutes and then accelerating away - there are plumes of blue smoke. The longer I idle the heavier it gets.
It and take over 1/4 mile to clear - more if driven gently.

This is the 3.0 Diesel WK/WH (OM642 Mercedes Engine)
Now with a 105,000 Miles, has done it for the last 10k but I first noticed it after a an hours idling in a mountainous area.

Oil is a 0W30... Change not due, Diesel filter clean and tank fully cleaned and reconditioned last summer.
Oh and the engine is clean inside - everything still shiny like new.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-21-2016, 12:39 PM
hbrink123

Blue smoke means you are burning oil. Oil could be getting past the engine seals and into your cylinders. Which would burn the oil with the fuel, thus making blue smoke
post #3 of 13 Old 02-21-2016, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Penguin_Jeep
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrink123 View Post
Blue smoke means you are burning oil. Oil could be getting past the engine seals and into your cylinders. Which would burn the oil with the fuel, thus making blue smoke
I thought it was oil, but do you think this could be coming from CCV or something?

post #4 of 13 Old 02-21-2016, 02:07 PM
OrangePower
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_Jeep View Post
I thought it was oil, but do you think this could be coming from CCV or something?
From turbo maybe?

97 ZJ 5,2L 6" long arrms, D44&9" 35" - pure fun
2007 WH Overland lovered with H&R, 275/40/20 tires
post #5 of 13 Old 02-21-2016, 03:29 PM
willyok
2008 WK 

How's your air filter?
post #6 of 13 Old 02-21-2016, 03:29 PM
90grandoneer
Web Wheeler

2006 WK 

I am not familiar with the diesel in the WK's but, as said it's burning oil that has gotten into the combustion tract. It can come from bad valve seals or valve guides. I used to have an old Mercedes that would do this and it was caused by a bad diaphragm in the cam driven vacuum pump. I don't know if yours has a vacuum pump, but if it does, this would be another place to look. Mine would start all of a sudden and, just like yours, put out massive amounts of blue smoke, but the vehicle would run fine. Good luck and let us know what you find.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-21-2016, 04:37 PM
Hendrix9
2007 WK 

I was thinking maybe the seals in the turbo might be letting some oil into exhaust side. I had a car do that, but it would blow smoke if you were heavy on the accelerator, too which it sounds isnt happening to you.

2007 CRD QDII
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT - hoping it gets bought back!
2004 QD 4.7 GC
2009 Rav4 v6
post #8 of 13 Old 02-21-2016, 06:47 PM
willyok
2008 WK 

When turbo seals fail and allow oil ingress it's usually due to a very restricted air filter. Check that first then move on to the CCV system.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-22-2016, 08:20 AM
davids0865
2005 WK 

You are not alone!

My 2005 CRD @ 130k does the same, I'm not sure mine is oil though as the smoke stinks of diesel, haven't found the cause yet.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-23-2016, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Penguin_Jeep
2006 WK 

Air filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyok View Post
How's your air filter?
The air filter is a K&N panel and is pretty clean and breatheable
post #11 of 13 Old 04-23-2016, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Penguin_Jeep
2006 WK 

Ccv

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids0865 View Post
You are not alone!

My 2005 CRD @ 130k does the same, I'm not sure mine is oil though as the smoke stinks of diesel, haven't found the cause yet.
I took off the CCV which is quite easy - there is no clogging but oil definately an issue being sucked up - so I tried putting some stainless steel pan scourer in there - doesnt seem to have made much difference.

I'm going to try and let it idle with the CCV disconnected from the air ducting let the pipe drip into a coke bottle or something...
post #12 of 13 Old 04-24-2016, 03:32 AM
davids0865
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_Jeep View Post
I took off the CCV which is quite easy - there is no clogging but oil definately an issue being sucked up - so I tried putting some stainless steel pan scourer in there - doesnt seem to have made much difference.

I'm going to try and let it idle with the CCV disconnected from the air ducting let the pipe drip into a coke bottle or something...
Please let us know how you get on, and good luck with finding a solution.

Mine is almost certainly not oil as it uses no oil between changes, but the clouds of grey smoke after along idle is impressive, not.

No problem under all other circumstances, hot, cold, city, motorway, fast or slow.

I believe it's injector related.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-29-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Penguin_Jeep
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids0865 View Post
Please let us know how you get on, and good luck with finding a solution.

Mine is almost certainly not oil as it uses no oil between changes, but the clouds of grey smoke after along idle is impressive, not.

No problem under all other circumstances, hot, cold, city, motorway, fast or slow.

I believe it's injector related.
MINOR UPDATE:
I've put in half a can of Wynns "stop leak", it claims to make rubbers in the engine soft again - including valve seals, I'll be doing 200-300 miles this weekend and then checking it.
I have also posted on youtube if anybody wants to see the issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.