Help 3.0 CRD P0299 Code - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Help 3.0 CRD P0299 Code

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippiGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 04-18-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
billyrcurry

Help 3.0 CRD P0299 Code

We have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD. The Jeep is throwing a P0299 turbo underboost code. If you let the engine get cold it will run fine until the engine gets to operating tempature then the red electronic throttle control light comes on starts flashing. The jeep then goes into limp mode and throws a P0299. Any ideas. It has been at the Jeep dealer for 2 weeks.

billyrcurry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
JeepCares

If the dealer can't fix it, they can contact the STAR Center for technical help. It's a Chrysler Group department dedicated to helping dealers.
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
gun-driver
2007 FSJ Cherokee 

Did you try changing the fuel filter. This happened to my wifes and it ended up being the fuel filter.
gun-driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Any update on this P0299 code. Seems like its a blockage or leak in the air charge system. Or your boost pressure servo motor needs to be replace.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
billyrcurry

P0299 Code update

I have checked for charge air leaks / blockages and connot find anything. However when it does go into limp mode the linkage on the servo motor is not working. I think the motor is getting hot and quitting. I cannot find this motor anywhere.
Unread 05-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

The boost pressure servo motor is the VGT actuator. The turbocharger boost pressure servomotor is bolted to the side of the turbocharger housing and is responsible for controlling turbocharger boost pressure. It controls the boost pressure by varying the position of the guide vanes. The servomotor operates in response to a PWM signal from the ECM.
This is the cause of Code P0299.
• The Boost Pressure Sensor indicates actual turbocharger boost is less than the ECM setpoint for engine boost.
You could also have a bad boost pressure sensor. The boost pressure sensor is mounted in the charge air cross over air tube, just past the air control valve.
Are you getting other codes? If your swirl motor was not operating correctly you would get a code for that. I am not familiar enough with the limp mode settings to know what all gets effected.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Well, one thing is nice. Even in limp mode, the CRD has more power than some cars in their regular mode.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
brew1

I'm curious to hear what the outcome was for this fault code. I just had my GC CRD towed to the dealership after the serpentine belt shredded while I was several miles from home.

I had them check the pulleys, water pump and alternator. Also had them service the transmission since it just turned 100,00 miles, new transmission filters, flush and fill.

When we picked it up this evening, the CEL came on a couple miles from the dealership and the engine went into limp mode. We drove it a couple more miles home.

I pulled the code: P0299 Boost Pressure Regulation Control Range Not Reached with the following information from my Ross Tech Unit:

PID02 DTC that caused freeze frame data storage: P0299
PID04 Calculated load value: 89%
PID05 Engine coolant temperature 87C
PID11 Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure: 153 kPa abs
PID12 Engine RPM: 2333min
PID13 Vehicle Speed:104 km/h
PID15 Intake air temperature: 32C
PID16 Mass Air Flow: 110.83 g/s

The engine produces a pronounced hissing sound when increasing rpm. Possible turbo hose leak?

Just curious if anyone else has run into this code with their GC CRD and what the problem was.

Thanks~Mark
brew1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
BigBlue24

Sounds like a boost leak to me!!! (Hissing noise when on the throttle increasing rpm = building boost)

On my diesel pickups, I use a tapped plumbing cap with valve stem and a rubber or silicone boot clamped to the cap and the turbo inlet in place of the air intake hose. I then add pressure using an air compressor and start chasing leaks. Big ones will be obvious, small ones might take some soapy water to discover.
Unread 03-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #10
BurmaJack
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
Well, one thing is nice. Even in limp mode, the CRD has more power than some cars in their regular mode.
LOL I hope I never have to discover that!

Blue WK Club Member #2
BurmaJack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:28 AM   #11
billyrcurry

Problem Fixed

It was the acuator on the turbo. The black box. I found a company overseas that can repair them. You cannot buy this piece from Jeep. You must buy a complete turbo which is $4500.00!!!!! I repaired mine for $200.00
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #12
segona
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyrcurry
It was the acuator on the turbo. The black box. I found a company overseas that can repair them. You cannot buy this piece from Jeep. You must buy a complete turbo which is $4500.00!!!!! I repaired mine for $200.00
Hi
Would you mind asking which company you got fixed , please ?
segona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
BAH101
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew1
I'm curious to hear what the outcome was for this fault code. I just had my GC CRD towed to the dealership after the serpentine belt shredded while I was several miles from home.

I had them check the pulleys, water pump and alternator. Also had them service the transmission since it just turned 100,00 miles, new transmission filters, flush and fill.

When we picked it up this evening, the CEL came on a couple miles from the dealership and the engine went into limp mode. We drove it a couple more miles home.

I pulled the code: P0299 Boost Pressure Regulation Control Range Not Reached with the following information from my Ross Tech Unit:

PID02 DTC that caused freeze frame data storage: P0299
PID04 Calculated load value: 89%
PID05 Engine coolant temperature 87C
PID11 Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure: 153 kPa abs
PID12 Engine RPM: 2333min
PID13 Vehicle Speed:104 km/h
PID15 Intake air temperature: 32C
PID16 Mass Air Flow: 110.83 g/s

The engine produces a pronounced hissing sound when increasing rpm. Possible turbo hose leak?

Just curious if anyone else has run into this code with their GC CRD and what the problem was.

Thanks~Mark
Check the output hose from the turbo resonator. It is a PITA to re-install once removed. The dealer might have removed the resonator to access the serpentine belt. After the first time changing the belt, I only disconnect the top of the resonator and let it drop down and I work around it.
I had the hose blow off the very first time I had the resonator out.
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
fishinbama
2007 WK 

I had to remove the battery to get my resonator secure. Would love to know about this company Billy, any of us could have this problem down the road.
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #15
brew1

Turbo Boost Pressure Servo Motor

I heard back from the dealership today.

The service tech is pointing to the boost pressure servo motor (black box), same issue that Billy had. The tech did not find any hose leaks or disconnected parts. I have yet to speak with the tech to determine how he diagnosed the servo motor failure?

Am I to understand that when revving the engine sufficiently, one should see the boost pressure servo motor linkage move? Inactivity of said linkage is the diagnosis for boost pressure servo motor (black box) failure?

There was some mention of a possible boost pressure sensor by tnadanzig earlier in this thread. Any thoughts on how to diagnosis if the boost pressure sensor was failing?

Billy or anyone else willing to share their source for a new boost pressure servo motor (black box)? I'd much prefer spending $200 vs. $4,000.

Thanks~Mark
brew1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.