Help! 2008 Commander won't start. Chronic issue. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Help! 2008 Commander won't start. Chronic issue.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-27-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
mkorpon
2008 XK Commander 

Help! 2008 Commander won't start. Chronic issue.

I have a 2008 Jeep Commander (30,000 miles) that has had an ongoing problem. After driving somewhere and you park, then return after doing whatever, it won't start. Battery is good, turn key and dash lights up but no click, nothing... I've had it towed to the dealer 4 times now for repair.

1st time- loose wire
2nd time-bad connector
3rd time- starter replaced
4th time- another bad connection

Anyone else having issues like this? As of now my wife won't drive it anymore due to fear of being stranded with our 2 year old (can't really blame her since it has happened 4 times within the last year). She has been on the phone multiple times with Chrysler with no solution in sight, "It's fixed." they say, I say "Sure it is, see you next month when it breaks down again..."

mkorpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
CmmdrDan

maybe the key switch?
CmmdrDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 02:51 AM   #3
VictorRussia
2008 WK 

I have replaced an immobilizer.
Before replacement was on service some times.
At me a key like at Mercedes.
VictorRussia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
boderika
2008 XK Commander 

my jeep won't start either

i came across your post. i am having the same problem. 08 commander 38000 miles won't start. battery is fine. it has happened 4 times in 8 weeks!
1st-replaced wireless key module
2nd-said it needed a new park assist module but then it started working again.
3rd-starter wire loose
4th-?? it's in the shop now so we will see

Nothing is ever covered under the warranty. i am curious what happened with yours. any suggestions????
boderika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
JKM
2005 WK 

Suggest you read a post of mine from a few months ago concerning the solenoid wire terminal. The post was entitle something like No Crank No Start. BAsically you should replace (not clean, but replace) the solenoid wire (yellow wire) terminal, which gets corroded at the crimp. Corrosion due to a bad design as it's not weather proof. I outline in my post a simple way to make a weather proof terminal from basic auto parts supplies. Definately worth a try
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
ccmccumber

I have a 2008 Jeel Cherokee and had the starting problems int he past and seems like it may be coming back!

I had:
My FOB replaced 11/10
Wireless Control Module 12/10
Starter replaced 1/11

and after the starter, operated fine until about 2 weeks ago when my Jeep did not start after making a trip tot the store!

JKM, I will try replacing the solenoid wire. I also noticed another post about "grounding" the engine block.

I am on my last straw here... After dealing with this issue for over a year, I may have to sell it off and be done with it. Too bad becasue I absolutley love my jeep

Thought: Any way to by pass all the wireless ignittion and resort to the basic key ignition? Battery -> ignition switch -> starter?

Thanks folks.
ccmccumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
JKM
2005 WK 

YOu should clean the ground connection to the engine block that is above the starter while you're in there. Make sure to coat it all with die-electric grease. I would also do the ground connections to the body beside the battery.
Unread 08-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
Beckgrl

I have a Jeep Commander 2008 with 49k miles and it will not start. The lights come on the dash, the power windows work, and etc. They have replaced the starter. I have reset the computer on the jeep and it will restart most of the times when I reset it. Then it goes back to not starting. Has anyone figured out what's been happening to your Jeeps? This is the biggest headache...
Beckgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
JRLT
2010 WK 

Had a similar issue with our 2005, everything power-up but no start. Replaced the battery and everything is back to normal.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
Beckgrl

Yeah my problem is that the battery is working. I had some check it and it's fine. Any other recommendations? I was doing some online research... could it possibly be the neutral safety switch anyone?
Beckgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
mrnavy2
2008 XK Commander 

I had the same problem. I went under the car and removed the engine skid plate. And move the starter wiring harness. It is known in the XK for corrosion. I just replaced mine last week.
mrnavy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
gnhjeep

I'm having this issue with my 2008 commander. Starts 95% of the time, but you never know when you'll turn it off and have it not start back up. Let it sit for 5 - 6 hours, and it starts again. It's been to the dealer several times, but they can't find anything.

I have it at my mechanic right now, and again the computer is not reporting any codes, and of course he can't replicate it. It may not do it again for 6 months, you just never know. It's done it 3 times this week, which is why I brought it in. But it's completely unpredictable.
Has anyone had any luck with this issue? I've seen it posted in a few different places, but see no solutions to it.
gnhjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #13
gnhjeep

I'm having this issue with my 2008 commander. Starts 95% of the time, but you never know when you'll turn it off and have it not start back up. Let it sit for 5 - 6 hours, and it starts again. It's been to the dealer several times, but they can't find anything.

I have it at my mechanic right now, and again the computer is not reporting any codes, and of course he can't replicate it. It may not do it again for 6 months, you just never know. It's done it 3 times this week, which is why I brought it in. But it's completely unpredictable.
Has anyone had any luck with this issue? I've seen it posted in a few different places, but see no solutions to it.
gnhjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
mrnavy2
2008 XK Commander 

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Have someone climb under the veh and just move the Starter Wire Harness. A lot of corrosion builds up on it which is well known. I had 3 people try to fix mine and then a friend of mine who owns a 07XK came over and removed the plastic skid plate and just moved the harness. Once he did that he told me to start my 08XK and bingo it started right up. I brought it to my local jeep dealer and had them replace the harness. Now my XK runs great.
mrnavy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #15
JKM
2005 WK 

replacing the harness works, or you can fix the harness as I did. Look up my post about how to do this. Simply replacing female blade terminal on yellow solenoid wire and making it weatherproof (current issue with OEM harness is terminal is not weatherproof)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.