Help with 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Car Intermittently Not Starting/Alarm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Help with 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Car Intermittently Not Starting/Alarm

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)

Unread 07-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
bonanzajellybea

Help with 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Car Intermittently Not Starting/Alarm

Hi,

I have been looking at this forum because I am having trouble with my Jeep not starting, and I'm far from home so I'm in a bit of a jam. If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. A few days ago, my Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (2007) would not start when I turned the key (all I would hear was a click and the engine wouldn't turn). 30-40 minutes later, it would start. This happened twice, and then we took it to a mechanic, who said that nothing was wrong with it and that he was able to start it 15 times in a row. We continued to drive for 2 days without incident. Today, it once again would not start for awhile, and also, the factory alarm on the car, which had never been on previously, was suddenly on and started going off when I tried to turn the engine on. Also, whenever I unlock or lock the car, there is now a beeping noise that wasn't there before and the car beeps several times when I lock the car using the key fob and the doors are closed.

1) Does anyone know if the alarm/car not starting are related, and what I should do (replaced key battery already based on advice on this forum)?

2) Additionally, is there a way I can permanently disable the factory alarm?

Thank you in advance for any help.

bonanzajellybea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
JKM
2005 WK 

First question, how old is your battery? If the original I would start there as the WK is very sensitive to voltage levels. Don't bother testing if it's original, just replace it. It's either due or will soon let you down.

Assuming your battery is good, next culprit of the no-start issue is corrosion on the yellow wire at the starter solenoid. This cause a weak signal to the solenoid, which cause the soleniod not to activate the starter. Corrosion is very hard to see since the corrosion issue for many has been where the wire is crimped to the female blade terminal, which is covered and hard to see. Best to replace the terminal. I will send you a pm with directions for this. In the meantime when you get this no start issue you could crawl under the Jeep and tug on the yellow wire, which will often help make a connetion and start the Jeep.
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
Gwizzar
2008 WK 

Directions/Instructions for fixing yellow terminal for solenoid

Any chance you could email me the directions for fixing this issue? Thank you for your time! gwizzar@roadrunner.com
Gwizzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

I agree, if you have original battery, its your battery!
Change it you will need one soon anyway, (if its original).

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Gwizzar
2008 WK 

I own a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - purchased in November of 2007.... it had the exact issues. The battery is factory-original and I followed JKM's advice regarding the yellow wire at the starter solenoid. I have not had a single problem (knock-knock) since fixing it on July 17th
()_) ()_)--<>-)_) GW
Gwizzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
kk52736
2007 WK 

Please email me instruction on how to done the solenoid wire? My email is kk52736(at)hotmail(dot)com

Thanks
Unread 11-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
JKM
2005 WK 

sending to your email now
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.