Help - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Help

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-30-2013, 01:50 AM   #16
tom58

even with a broken immobiliser it runs for 3 sec and than stops. its either the ignition lock or a bad connection on the starter.but if you say the radio died, i would also guess its the battery.
you say it was tested with a new batt from racv? did you take the old batt out and put the new one in, or was it connected with a jump lead??

tom58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:32 AM   #17
meredith

Hubby just
told me it was tested with a jump lead and it was getting 13.7 volt
meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:57 AM   #18
tom58

it does not work like that. take the old batt. out,put a new one in. job done, wanna bet??
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:16 AM   #19
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

I would agree try a new battery by replacing the old one.
It might work, but it is so easy to try it is worth doing it.
Your going to have to do this soon anyway.

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #20
meredith

omg cant believe this....before hubby was going to change the battery he decided to clean all the terminals...now it starts like a dream..i cant believe the two mechanics i had look at my car didnt even suggest this, and my hubby isnt even a mechanic..all it was was a case of dirty terminals...thanks all for insisting it was the battery and nothing else..saved me a small fortune..
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #21
modernblueWK

You still might need a new battery soon. They dont last forever.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #22
meredith

yeah, gonna buy a new battery just in case also
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #23
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

Mine lasted 5 years also, thing to remember with advice you get here, the majority of time we are speaking from experience.
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #24
jjarvis0007
2005 WK 

The shop I work at has more problems with loose battery connections more then anything. We also change out batteries like you would diapers on a 1 month old.
jjarvis0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 06:27 AM   #25
meredith

Thanks for all your help guys..much appreciated
Unread 07-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #26
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredith View Post
omg cant believe this....before hubby was going to change the battery he decided to clean all the terminals...now it starts like a dream..i cant believe the two mechanics i had look at my car didnt even suggest this, and my hubby isnt even a mechanic..all it was was a case of dirty terminals...thanks all for insisting it was the battery and nothing else..saved me a small fortune..
When you get a chance, check the small (I think yellow) wire on the starter motor. This connection also tends to corrode and cause similar symptoms. My premise is that if the main terminals were corroded, then this might be in the same shape also. Recommend you check it prior to Winter.
Don't forget to disconnect the negative main battery lead first.

Glad your issue was so simple (and cheap) to resolve.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #27
meredith

Actually Walt, when we first got the car about 14 months ago we had that exact problem with the yellow wire..sometimes the car would start sometimes it wouldnt..so i came on here and asked some questions...luckily my car was still under warranty because i took it back to the jeep dealer near me, and because he wouldnt listen to me about the wire business, he decided it was a computer thing and went ahead and changed the computer in the car...got the car back and within a week was doing the same thing...so i told him again to check the yellow wire which in turn he did and my problem was solved..I can tell you, people on here are much more knowledgable than the dealers here and i will always come here if i have a problem first
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #28
tom58

well, about 10.000 useres in the jeep community, with say 1 hour of experience each, makes 10.000 hour of experience. and itīs actually a lot more.
Unread 07-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #29
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredith View Post
Actually Walt, when we first got the car about 14 months ago we had that exact problem with the yellow wire..sometimes the car would start sometimes it wouldnt..so i came on here and asked some questions...luckily my car was still under warranty because i took it back to the jeep dealer near me, and because he wouldnt listen to me about the wire business, he decided it was a computer thing and went ahead and changed the computer in the car...got the car back and within a week was doing the same thing...so i told him again to check the yellow wire which in turn he did and my problem was solved..I can tell you, people on here are much more knowledgable than the dealers here and i will always come here if i have a problem first

Another satisfied JeepForum customer......................

It's a shame that we all are forced to learn so much detail about the foibles of our toys. Seems as though some dealers just cut-and-try at parts replacement, especially when they are under extended warranty.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #30
chuckerants

The OP is in a colder climate so the battery may last 5 years, but here in Phoenix where it was 120F last week and 110Fs this week, all my batteries last no more than 3 years before I start having problems. Gad it worked out ok.
chuckerants is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.