Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Help

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
meredith

Help

Got a prob with 2007 jgc limited ....wont start. I was at my sons football game today and was listening to the radio for about an hour when i noticed the radio started going off and on every 10 seconds or so. I thought the battery might have been going so i tried to start the car...nothing...wouldnteven turn over...yet all my lights, horn, etc were all working fine. Got the racv to come and check the car. He connected the charger up to the battery and it turned over for about 2 seconds then turned off...tried to turn it over a few more times, which it did, but didnt start, then it just wouldnt even turn over. He checked the starter motor and said that was fine. Still cant get it started and he suggested to me that it could be te immobiliser or bad chip in key...remote entry works fine as does alarm....any suggestions?

meredith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

Maybe the battery is shot. If it is still the original battery, then I would say replace it
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
meredith

Im not into car technicalities, but he said he connected the battery up and was getting 12 v...and trying to jump start it and was still not turning over...and all lights, horn, radio were all still working...he seemed to think it wasnt the battery
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

If the battery is 5 years old or more, then it needs to be replaced. This I know from experience. It's a relatively cheap and easy repair - doesn't require a mechanic
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
sebastien
2006 WK 

Even if batteries are holding 12+ Volts, over time they lose their punch.. the cranking amps the battery once had when new will not be there..
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
modernblueWK

Get a new battery. Even hooking 12v to the battery may not get it going if the battery is shot.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

What everyone else said....get a new battery. These things are very sensitive to battery issues, and can cause you all kinds of grief if the battery is not in top notch condition. If you're into vehicle maintenance, you may want to do (or have done) a couple checks first. The only ways I know of to accurately access the true health of a battery is with a load tester (battery must be fully charged first) AND a conductance tester (battery does not need to be fully charged). These tests really go hand in hand in accessing the condition of the battery. The load test obviously checks the battery's ability to handle a heavy load and the conductance test is a measurement of the battery's ability to produce current. Conductance is a measure of the plate surface available in the battery, which determines how much power the battery is capable of supplying. As a battery ages, the plate surfaces sulfate and shed material which adversely affects its ability to produce current. The conductance tester will also detect cell defects, shorts and open circuits which will reduce the battery's ability to provide enough current. I do conductance tests on all my vehicle batteries at every oil change, and load tests only if the conductance test is marginal. Each of these tests takes only about 10-15 seconds to do, if you have the testers available.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
colinzj
2006 WK 

Even though the car's built around a "12 volt" electrical system, 12 volts at the battery is actually quite low.
Unread 06-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

You're right....mine usually is showing around 12.5/12.6 volts after sitting a bit. If I leave either one sit for a week or two, it'll be around 12.1 volts.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
modernblueWK

12.6 is a fully charged battery.

14ish when running is what you need.
Blue WK club #4
Unread 06-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
Walt
2008 WK 

To further what 90grandoneer said: Measure the voltage with the engine stopped; should be about 12.4V. This is the voltage with essentially no load. When you activate the starter, the voltage will drop dramatically at the terminals because of high internal battery resistance in a failing battery.

I read somewhere that the PCM will not fire up unless the voltage is greater than 10.6V and this could be case with a bad battery. The starter circuit runs through the PCM, so it may not turn over under these conditions.

Recommend you charge the battery for at least an hour and then get to a store for a new one if it is the original or over 3-4 yrs old. Mine went at 5 yrs and it happened quickly once the degradation started. Wierd symptoms accompany a failing battery in any MOPAR with a PCM.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #12
meredith

ok..just had the battery checked and an auto elec look at it..its not the battery and it still wont even crank over ..auto elec now seems to think the immobiliser has engaged and it now needs to go to a jeep dealer to have the computer reset
Unread 06-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #13
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

Just to clarify, can you still provide the age of the battery please? There should be a sticker on top of it with the month and year punched out. Everyone here including myself, are speaking from experience. Regardless if a tester says its "OK", if its around 5 years old or more, REPLACE it!! It is most likely your problem!
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 12:36 AM   #14
modernblueWK

The battery in my 2002 dakota died in 2007. 5 years....
Blue WK club #4
Unread 06-30-2013, 01:12 AM   #15
meredith

It was tested with a new battery from racv...still didnt turn over

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.