help?!??!!!?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > help?!??!!!?!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 06-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
gsbtarheel
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

help?!??!!!?!

whats up.... my 05 jeep grand Cherokee limited 5.7l hemi has been sputtering as of late and also will cut off from time to time, it sounds like its gasping for air on start ups and the check engine light has been on for a week or so now. My cruise control will sometimes set but at other times wont allow me. also my esp system pops up on the dash and tells me it is disabled and this runs my rpms to high, i have carried to a neighborhood mechanic and machines said that it is possibly the crank sensor?!?! but he said to take it and see if the problem was in the wiring just looking for some help from some people who have maybe been there and know from experience im relatively new to my jeep i mean im only 16 any help is good help please and thanks

gsbtarheel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
sal-XK
2007 XK Commander 

If he pulled the code and it said it was the crank sensor then it probably needs to be changed. It's not a difficult thing to do but I can't remember how much they are. You should do the key dance and see what code your jeep is spitting out post that so people can help. Or you can try a local auto parts store and have them pull the codes for you. Oddly enough I've heard those problems pop up before from a dying battery as well LOL so get the codes pulled. I think you can search youtube for jeep key dance if you need to. You basically turn the ignition from off to on I think its 4 times real quick on the 4th time stopping in the on position. But look it up to be sure.
sal-XK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
gsbtarheel
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

thank you i have carried it to auto zone and had test run, the battery was producing its usually output, but some codes did come up that the guy there was not sure of and ill try the jeep key dance,, if i do complete it what exactly am i looking for?
Unread 06-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
sal-XK
2007 XK Commander 

They should of gave you a print out with the codes he pulled up didn't matter if he knew what they were or not. In your EVIC screen it will show a code or test complete or something I haven't done it in a long time so that's why I recommend you watching the youtube video on how to do it. If you post the code or codes here we can look them up and maybe point you in the right direction or at least educate you so a shop don't take you for a ride.
Unread 06-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
gsbtarheel
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

that he did and it was 3 times not 4 for my particular model but thanks so much, it gave me P0315 P0300 P1417 P0339 P0335 and then done in that order any ideas on what these might mean?
Unread 06-17-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
sal-XK
2007 XK Commander 

I would have to find my link to look those up. if no one beats me to it I'll post the link so you have it as well. I just have to find it again.
Unread 06-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
sal-XK
2007 XK Commander 

I'm on the wife's laptop my links aren't on here but I found some here http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/
Unread 06-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
gsbtarheel
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

thanks i just googled each individually and they lead me to jeep forum and most were related to crankshaft sensor beinga circuit malfunction and crankshaft in itself and one was a multiple cylinder misfire, in particular number 7 i believe
Unread 06-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
gsbtarheel
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

most were directly related the the crank shaft sensor itself, and one was a cylinder misfire in particular number 7, this leads me to think replacing of the crankshaft sensor of possible the crankshaft itself could help.
Unread 06-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #10
gsbtarheel
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

sorry about that
Unread 06-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #11
sal-XK
2007 XK Commander 

I just read someone had this issue and they did there crank sensor them selves so let me see if I can find that thread just for you to read. But all those misfires would be related to your crank sensor failing.
Unread 06-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
gsbtarheel
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

oh okay i looked up potential prices most came back to under thirty bucks so thats not looking to bad
Unread 06-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #13
sal-XK
2007 XK Commander 

I suck at life tonight I can't seem to find anything The way I see it is you have a bunch of misfires and the crank sensor code would explain all the misfires so that part probably is bad. I would recommend changing it your self and save some money. I'm sure someone with a manual or who has done it already can jump in and tell you how to do it. My manual is for the XK unless the hemi was unchanged from 2005 to 2007 my manual won't help.
Unread 06-17-2011, 10:27 PM   #14
gsbtarheel
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

thats okay could you maybe help me find prices i found one for 97$ because it being a hemi the standard one for under 30$ would not fit FML but anyways i'm just trying to make sure that i find the part i need.
Unread 06-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #15
sal-XK
2007 XK Commander 

Check out RockAuto there prices are usually pretty darn good.

Tags
5.7 liter , help needed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.