Hecho in Mexico brake calipers/05 WK GC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Hecho in Mexico brake calipers/05 WK GC

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-17-2014, 05:55 AM   #1
gamma500
2005 WK 

Hecho in Mexico brake calipers/05 WK GC

Noticed my wife's grocery getter Jeep with 60K miles wasn't stopping worth a cr*p..inspecting the driver's side caliper I saw the top piston with a 3/4" piece broken off at the top and the piston itself frozen in the bore. Boot was intake, I flush the brake fluid every year (7K miles for this vehicle). I get the feeling these plastic pistons have a tendency towards hanging up...this Jeep's rear driver's caliper came from the factory with a "frozen" piston.

Do today's $50K GC's still come with plastic pistons ?..my 86 Audi had stainless steel cups !

gamma500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
biggn235
DAS Man

2005 WK 

I'm sure they do. The metal style pistons have a tendency to transfer heat to the brake fluid a lot faster than the plastic ones. My Wrangler had the plastic pistons as well.

Past - 95YJ 99XJ 98XJ
biggn235 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.