Heater Blend door problems Please Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Heater Blend door problems Please Help

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Burtman88
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Heater Blend door problems Please Help

so i have been having a problem with my heat on my Wk past month. Last month the passenger side heat stopped working and is only blowing out cold air. The driver side is putting heat out. The rear vent are also putting out cold air. so i looked it up it can be the actuator that's not working anymore or it can be the blend doors. It has been alright for the past month until i had to sit passenger in my jeep since we were switching driving on a long trip. On the way back it was -10 out all i have to say is wow worst experience i have had in my jeep. So is there a diagram where so i can try to fix this myself. I want to first make sure it's not the actuator. While i was getting a new key programmed this week at the stealership, i asked them how much to fix it they quoted me over a grand.

00 WJ

09 WK Hemi, 2.5 inch Rc lift, Super chips,Gibson 3 inch catback, rough country spacers, Voolant Cai,lockpik, Falken Wild peak At 265/70R-18
Burtman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
WieSeL

Take a look under the dash by the Back of the stereo on the side of the HVAC housing. Move the temperature from hot to cold and back again and see if the actuator is working.
WieSeL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
lavern23
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Mine did the same thing about a month ago. It was the recirc door that is behind the glove box. The gear was broke. A new gear is 16.00 at the dealership. It's about a 20 minute fix with the new part.

You take the glove box door assy out.

Take the torx screws off holding on the actuator and the gear is in between the actuator and the door arm.

68072190aa is the part I used.

Excellent pics in the link below

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=64973
lavern23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
johngreen1234
2010 WK 

OP is describing a problem with the "Blend door" actuation, I think, not the Recirculation "Mode door" located behind the glove box. He can check all of them if he doesn't mind crawling around with a flashlight. Since I have a problem with my Blend door, I have become familiar with all these critter-doors and their hiding places. Here we go:

--Mode door. Probably not, but it's easy to pull the glove box and watch while you fiddle with the HVAC controls. I would look first before I bought the $10 part--it just doesn't sound like it.

--Blend door(s). If you have dual zone you have two of these, one on each side of the air box. If you have single zone like me, you only have one on the driver's side. The air box is a tall black thing straight behind the radio. It is as wide as the radio but as tall as the console area, and more difficult to remove than a kidney stone. There are no actuator gears here, like the Mode door. You can replace the actuator pack and see if it helps, or you can pay a dealer $2,000 and let them remove your whole dash and replace the airbox unit.

--Air door. This is on the driver's side of the airbox, above and behind the driver's Blend door. IIRC it controls the front/rear heat dist, or something like that. When you fiddle with all the switches you should see it moving or at least hear it clicking.

When I was googling "Blend door" I found a lot of talk and pix about the "Mode door" actuator gear and how easy it is to replace, which it is. But unfortunately it usually isn't the problem. This door controls whether the fan draws air from the outside, or air from the inside, and nothing else.
johngreen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
Burtman88
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks a lot for your help guys. Ill check it out soon when i have free time this weekend. Its getting annoying only defrosting half my jeep

00 WJ

09 WK Hemi, 2.5 inch Rc lift, Super chips,Gibson 3 inch catback, rough country spacers, Voolant Cai,lockpik, Falken Wild peak At 265/70R-18
Burtman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
ISUzj
2005 WK 

My drivers side heat works perfectly fine but my passenger and rear is cold air. I can divert the air any direction I want. I just need to know where the heat comes from.

wouldn't it be great if there was an actual diagram of the HVAC on the net? everything seems to only relate to the WJ's

My mode door is working fine (unfortunately) and I can feel the actuator move on the pass side down low (the shaft part)
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 09:27 PM   #7
Jaashua
2005 WK 

I only have the default defrost. It has always been like this. I have recailibrated it and it changes vents but always goes back to defrost. What one is my problem?
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 06:55 AM   #8
ISUzj
2005 WK 

well I messed with it some again last night, and when I adjust the drivers side temp, I hear a whirr that gets long and low, like a door is pressing against something. The passenger side I hear an actuator move, but no low noise like it is pushing down on anything.

my gear behind the glovebox doesn't seem to be broken at all, so by deduction it must be my passenger blend door.

It helps to disconnect the fan power behind the glovebox when you are messing, it makes it much easier to hear actuators moving.

Also I found something that helps some on the cold temps. At least on dual temp control;
1)Adjust the postion to front/floor split turn the heat to 78 deg on both of them,
2) hit the A/C button and then the recirculate button
3) turn off the A/C. that way it will keep the recirculator door shut and over time the air coming out of the pass side and rear wont be ice cold, just cooler.

Edit: putting this here for later, apparently a few commanders have had the same issue:
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ad.php?t=13592
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.