Headrest Problem - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-21-2011, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
gimrie
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 2
Headrest Problem

Can't see any posts about this, but hopefully someone on here has come across this problem....

When I lower the rear seat on my 2006 Grand Cherokee the rear headrests flip down. When I raise the rear seat and push the passenger side headrest back to the upright position it stays in place, but the driver's side won't. It just drops back down again.

Seems like something might be disconnected inside the seat. Anybody have any ideas??

Thanks!

gimrie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 06-21-2011, 07:42 AM
dcecr
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: washington
Posts: 30
same thing happened to me but on the opposite side. i had it fixed under warranty so unfortunately i dont recall what the exact problem was, di you check to to see if there was a TSB put out on this?
dcecr is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 01-07-2012, 12:22 PM
AndyTee
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Aberdeen Scotland UK
Posts: 99
I know this thread is a little old but I am in the same situation that the rear r.h side headrest will not reset with the seat back upright. Can anyone advise on how to fix this please

Many thanks

AndyT
AndyTee is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 01-07-2012, 12:42 PM
sebastien
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: plantation
Posts: 250
same issue here...but rarely do i ever have the back seats up.
sebastien is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 01-09-2012, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
gimrie
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 2
Not an easy fix....

I did manage to fix this, but it was a painful process

I had to remove the rear seats, which is difficult do to the bolts that are used, but I managed it eventually. I then removed the headrest and seat cover from the broken seat, again, this isn't particularly easy. You don't need to remove the cover completely, just unzip the and pull it up as far as you can to expose the catch mechanism for the headrest at the top. The catch is triggered by a cable that runs to the bottom of the seat and I think this can become unattached, or the cable can snap. In my case the catch just appeared to have seized up. I lubricated it well and made sure everything was operating nice and smoothly then reassembled everything.

Took half a day and a few grazed knuckles to fix, but the problem hasn't re-occurred

Give me a shout if you need more details!
gimrie is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 01-09-2012, 09:23 AM
AndyTee
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Aberdeen Scotland UK
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimrie View Post
I did manage to fix this, but it was a painful process

I had to remove the rear seats, which is difficult do to the bolts that are used, but I managed it eventually. I then removed the headrest and seat cover from the broken seat, again, this isn't particularly easy. You don't need to remove the cover completely, just unzip the and pull it up as far as you can to expose the catch mechanism for the headrest at the top. The catch is triggered by a cable that runs to the bottom of the seat and I think this can become unattached, or the cable can snap. In my case the catch just appeared to have seized up. I lubricated it well and made sure everything was operating nice and smoothly then reassembled everything.

Took half a day and a few grazed knuckles to fix, but the problem hasn't re-occurred

Give me a shout if you need more details!
Thanks for the info. I'm offshore at present but will look to try and fix it when I get home. I wasn't sure how it wotked but as you say its by a wire and latch mechanism..... I may just take a few photos as well and post my findings... unless I loose my temper and ruin it

Thanks again.

AndyT
AndyTee is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 04-24-2013, 09:33 AM
yellowrose3502
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: houston
Posts: 1
fix for floppy rear headrest in 2006 JGC

Ok, I have a 2006 Jeep GC, bought it used. I folded the back seats down and when I tried to raise them back up I got the dreaded floppy head rests.
Solution:
Look down the base of the headrest pole on mine it was the one closet to the center of the car. Find the pole with the spring running parallel to the headrest, just to the inside of the spring, towards the center of the seat, is the cable. The tip of the cable has a small nub on it. Seems when you lower the seat a metal piece, slightly smaller than the size of a dime, slides down the cable. When you raise the seat the piece of metal is suppose to ride back up the cable to let you manually prop the head rest back up. Chances are the metal piece to stuck about 1/2 inch down the cable. Now that you have located the tip of the cable spray WD40 on it. Open and close the seat a couple of time to get the lubricant down the cable and on to the piece of metal. The piece of metal will rise up to the tip of the cable and enable you to lock the headrest back into place.
yellowrose3502 is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 04-22-2014, 01:21 PM
kevsjeep
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: united kingdom
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrose3502 View Post
Ok, I have a 2006 Jeep GC, bought it used. I folded the back seats down and when I tried to raise them back up I got the dreaded floppy head rests.
Solution:
Look down the base of the headrest pole on mine it was the one closet to the center of the car. Find the pole with the spring running parallel to the headrest, just to the inside of the spring, towards the center of the seat, is the cable. The tip of the cable has a small nub on it. Seems when you lower the seat a metal piece, slightly smaller than the size of a dime, slides down the cable. When you raise the seat the piece of metal is suppose to ride back up the cable to let you manually prop the head rest back up. Chances are the metal piece to stuck about 1/2 inch down the cable. Now that you have located the tip of the cable spray WD40 on it. Open and close the seat a couple of time to get the lubricant down the cable and on to the piece of metal. The piece of metal will rise up to the tip of the cable and enable you to lock the headrest back into place.
This has just worked for me.

Kev
2006 Black WK Overland

#140 Black WK Club.
kevsjeep is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 06-02-2014, 05:30 AM
dallen789
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: london
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimrie View Post
I did manage to fix this, but it was a painful process

I had to remove the rear seats, which is difficult do to the bolts that are used, but I managed it eventually. I then removed the headrest and seat cover from the broken seat, again, this isn't particularly easy. You don't need to remove the cover completely, just unzip the and pull it up as far as you can to expose the catch mechanism for the headrest at the top. The catch is triggered by a cable that runs to the bottom of the seat and I think this can become unattached, or the cable can snap. In my case the catch just appeared to have seized up. I lubricated it well and made sure everything was operating nice and smoothly then reassembled everything.

Took half a day and a few grazed knuckles to fix, but the problem hasn't re-occurred

Give me a shout if you need more details!
Hi, I have the same problem . Dumb question, but how do you undo the zip? I can see the zip, but I can't zee the 'puller'? toa ctually undoe the zip . I dont want to force it open as I will have no way of doing it back up. any help much appreciated
dallen789 is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 06-16-2014, 01:57 PM
berviecanuck
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 2
I have same problem with rear headrest. See the zip but do not know how to undo. Bought a boroscope and can see some type of spring. Any suggestions to get into the rear seat
Attached Thumbnails
20140616190600.jpg   20140616190705.jpg   20140616190757.jpg  
berviecanuck is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 06-17-2014, 01:55 AM
dallen789
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: london
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by berviecanuck View Post
I have same problem with rear headrest. See the zip but do not know how to undo. Bought a boroscope and can see some type of spring. Any suggestions to get into the rear seat
Hi
I had the identical quesion . PMed two of the guys on here who had the same issue. They didn't take apart anything and simply sprayed WD40 down the headrest holes and put the seat up/down a few times. I did the same thing and it worked in seconds .
dallen789 is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 06-18-2014, 12:08 PM
berviecanuck
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 2
Wd40

OK, will try it but did not ant the WD40 attacking the lining from the inside
berviecanuck is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 04-06-2015, 08:50 PM
68lizzay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1
2006 GC rear head rests

OMG, thank you so much, the WD40 worked!! I have kids and others in the car a lot and the floppy head rest were a huge problem! No more
68lizzay is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 10-26-2015, 04:28 PM
Moosepuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Columbia
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrose3502 View Post
Ok, I have a 2006 Jeep GC, bought it used. I folded the back seats down and when I tried to raise them back up I got the dreaded floppy head rests.
Solution:
Look down the base of the headrest pole on mine it was the one closet to the center of the car. Find the pole with the spring running parallel to the headrest, just to the inside of the spring, towards the center of the seat, is the cable. The tip of the cable has a small nub on it. Seems when you lower the seat a metal piece, slightly smaller than the size of a dime, slides down the cable. When you raise the seat the piece of metal is suppose to ride back up the cable to let you manually prop the head rest back up. Chances are the metal piece to stuck about 1/2 inch down the cable. Now that you have located the tip of the cable spray WD40 on it. Open and close the seat a couple of time to get the lubricant down the cable and on to the piece of metal. The piece of metal will rise up to the tip of the cable and enable you to lock the headrest back into place.
Just wanted to say THANK YOU!... best single post I've ever read. I could see the cable and the little lever and coil spring on it that was binding, a little WD-40 and prodding it with a flat blade a few times freed it up....... I wonder what's next with this little devil, seems to always give me something to do.

Moosepuck is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Rear Headrest Removal Wet Doggg WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum 3 02-14-2010 05:03 AM
TV/DVD - Overhead or Headrest? JeffR ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 4 06-04-2008 05:42 PM
Headrest Monitors bullyyj WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum 1 01-04-2008 01:44 AM
Vizualogic headrest monitors wally_joyner WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum 1 06-27-2007 12:40 PM
Commander Headrest Melda WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum 0 12-13-2006 07:11 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome