Headlight upgrade-projectors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Headlight upgrade-projectors

8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for JeepsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-15-2015, 08:24 PM   #1
Carlson05
2005 WK 

Headlight upgrade-projectors

http://www.carid.com/2005-jeep-grand...ts-264122.html

Ive been eyeing these for a long time now. Is anyone else on here familiar with them. Are they good reliable lights. Better than stock. Any advice would be much appreciated before i go waste my money. Thanks.

245:65:17 Cooper AT3's
OME 2.5'' lift w/bilstein 4600 struts.
Carlson05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 06:18 AM   #2
audiophonicz
2007 WK 

I have them. They use the same type bulbs as stock. IMO the projector low-beam is as good as stock, the high-beam is a little less than stock. But thats regular bulbs in projector housings, if you get the ballasts and HID bulbs to go in to the projectors they will probably be better than stock. Just havent gotten around to that yet myself because theyre good enough for me for now.
audiophonicz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 06:45 AM   #3
sheepdog918
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophonicz View Post
I have them. They use the same type bulbs as stock. IMO the projector low-beam is as good as stock, the high-beam is a little less than stock. But thats regular bulbs in projector housings, if you get the ballasts and HID bulbs to go in to the projectors they will probably be better than stock. Just havent gotten around to that yet myself because theyre good enough for me for now.
I'm pretty sure those are not a hid projector housing, they're meant for your standard bulbs like what you're running
Unread 03-16-2015, 06:55 AM   #4
romank
2014 WK 

The housing can take the HID's, they offer the upgrade to HID when you buy the bulbs. I just put them on my wife's TJ and I like the way they look during the day instead of the boring standard bulbs, I have not made a determination on night brightness yet. You can also wire the blue bulb on the side to your parking lights or I wired it t ignition and tied it to LED's that I wrapped around the outside of the bulb like halo's. For the price I think they update the "face" nicely.
romank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 07:01 AM   #5
imthehink
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by romank View Post
The housing can take the HID's, they offer the upgrade to HID when you buy the bulbs. I just put them on my wife's TJ and I like the way they look during the day instead of the boring standard bulbs, I have not made a determination on night brightness yet. You can also wire the blue bulb on the side to your parking lights or I wired it t ignition and tied it to LED's that I wrapped around the outside of the bulb like halo's. For the price I think they update the "face" nicely.
Yes you can put hids In them, but the projector bowl for those headlights are meant and designed for halogen bulbs. To correctly run hids, either retrofit or get some 08+ projector headlights. Also to the OP, if you are set on getting those, they can be had way cheaper on ebay.
imthehink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 10:52 AM   #6
romank
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthehink View Post
Yes you can put hids In them, but the projector bowl for those headlights are meant and designed for halogen bulbs. To correctly run hids, either retrofit or get some 08+ projector headlights. Also to the OP, if you are set on getting those, they can be had way cheaper on ebay.
Ok so educate me, what does that mean that the "bowl" is not HID friendly? What are the cons to upgrading to the HIDS?
romank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 01:09 PM   #7
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by romank View Post
Ok so educate me, what does that mean that the "bowl" is not HID friendly? What are the cons to upgrading to the HIDS?
The reflectors are designed for a standard halogen bulb, and do not function to aim HID bulbs properly. This results in blinding other drivers and negatively effecting your own vision as well.
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 11:47 PM   #8
Carlson05
2005 WK 

Could you possibly find me a link for hid friendly projectors that look like the ones i put up on the original post. If they exist. Other wise ill just get the standard projectors and put a 6000k bulb in em instead of the stock 4200k ish whatever lol.
Unread 03-17-2015, 12:35 AM   #9
kingpin57

Ok here's what I know from experience, I have had these same housing on my 06 Wk since about 2008, so almost 7 years now. They can and should be used with HID bulbs with ballast.

Your signature says you have an 05 and retrofitting OEM projectors from an 08-10 is not just plug and play. The housing have a different shape on the bottom in the 05-07 years as compared to the 08-10 years. That doesn't mean it can't be done if your up for the task.

My housings have 9006 35w HID 5000k bulbs on the low and regular 9005 halogens on the highbeams.

HID bulbs have a sharp cutoff line so they can easily blind oncoming traffic when the line crosses the other persons eye (It makes it look like you flashed the high beams when infact you didn't) this usually happens when you drive over a speed bump or railroad tracks and your lights aim up then come back to level. This is easily adjustable with an open ended wrench and the adjustment screw on the back. You tube has videos showing how to aim them. You just park in a flat surface facing a wall a specified distance away and physically measure where the line is then adjust.

Black WK Club Member #33
kingpin57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2015, 12:39 AM   #10
OMNIMAN

1999 TJ Wrangler 

The biggest problem with this is that you're buying something from CARID.com.

Good luck with that.
OMNIMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2015, 10:14 AM   #11
audiophonicz
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
The reflectors are designed for a standard halogen bulb, and do not function to aim HID bulbs properly. This results in blinding other drivers and negatively effecting your own vision as well.
What you are talking about is non-projector housings where the reflector has multiple focus points to create a beam pattern. There is no beam pattern in the reflective part of a projector, it is a bowl. The cutoff you refer to is handled by the lower cutoff shield. Projectors are specifically designed for HIDs, even though you can use a standard bulb in them. The fact these do not come with HIDs and ballasts is purely price.

For reference to my experience with projectors and HIDs, you can search my posts and you'll find I was one of the first to do a full on retrofit in a TJ before all the swap in housings.

Still dont trust me? Call TheRetrofitSource.com and they'll convince you.
audiophonicz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #12
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophonicz View Post
What you are talking about is non-projector housings where the reflector has multiple focus points to create a beam pattern. There is no beam pattern in the reflective part of a projector, it is a bowl. The cutoff you refer to is handled by the lower cutoff shield. Projectors are specifically designed for HIDs, even though you can use a standard bulb in them. The fact these do not come with HIDs and ballasts is purely price.

For reference to my experience with projectors and HIDs, you can search my posts and you'll find I was one of the first to do a full on retrofit in a TJ before all the swap in housings.

Still dont trust me? Call TheRetrofitSource.com and they'll convince you.
I've spent some time perusing HIDplanet.com and theretrofitsource.com.

Halogen projectors aren't designed with HIDs in mind. I have two vehicles with factory halogen projectors, and pnp HID's in them are not ideal, though I have considered it.
Black WK Club #152
Unread 03-17-2015, 02:57 PM   #13
Carlson05
2005 WK 

Well, so far all this thread has done is confuse me and i don't know what to do. Could i just buy the projectors i found. And put better halogens in? any thoughts where i should by them and what halogens i should get? Also whats wrong with car id?!?!?!

??????????
http://www.amazon.com/Spyder-Auto-PR...ghts+2005+jeep
Unread 03-17-2015, 05:15 PM   #14
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlson05 View Post
Well, so far all this thread has done is confuse me and i don't know what to do. Could i just buy the projectors i found. And put better halogens in? any thoughts where i should by them and what halogens i should get? Also whats wrong with car id?!?!?!

??????????
http://www.amazon.com/Spyder-Auto-PR...ghts+2005+jeep
Whats wrong with your current headlights? The best lowish budget upgrade there is is HIR bulbs in the factory housings.

Otherwise I recommend retrofitting HID's which is likely to cost ~$250 for materials and requires you to rip apart your factory lenses, or buy an extra set...

Do this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/w...grade-1448023/

Spyder makes cheap headlights, heres the amazon review:

Quote:
Construction quality is not very good. Not even just good. They look awesome, very cool appearance, but I never would have bought them if I had paid more attention and noticed that they use a H1 as the highbeam. Its outdated, throws terrible light and is a poor design. The projector lens was a very tight fit for my lamp and one broke free as I was installing the lamp. The housing itself broke free of the adjuster. I had to get it back together and basically just don't think you should buy these headlight assemblies. There are other options out there, with similar looks that might be better options.
Black WK Club #152
Unread 03-17-2015, 05:39 PM   #15
hxdrummerxc

2008 WK 

As others have mentioned, the spyder brand stuff can be pretty cheap. Although Ill admit I have been thinking about getting their LED tail lights. Plus I think those headlights are ugly. Have you seen them lit up? The little 3 running lights above the high beam look like eyebrows. Also the turn signal is moved to the top, above the lights, which looks strange to me. Personally I hate them, but everyone has their own opinion

The deal breaker for me is you lose the classic shape of the Oo oO. I think the stock headlight design looks the best. The "peanut eyes" I like them. Especially painted.

I would go with oem projector housings.
If you want black ones go with these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2010-Je...6a2bfe&vxp=mtr

These are for 08'+
But they will fit an 05' with a small amount of work. I believe Omelet did it with his. But you pretty much just have to make a something to cover the small curved gap at the bottom. Sort of like the stillen headlight covers.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | RC lift | Custom painted headlights with Oracle LED Halos | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.