Having headlight problems. Switch to HID projector housing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Having headlight problems. Switch to HID projector housing?

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 08-16-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Having headlight problems. Switch to HID projector housing?

Ok so a few months back I ripped my stock headlights apart and custom painted them and put my own halos in them using flexible led strip.
Well the LED strip didn't last. They got burnt up by my low beam bulb. Literally. The strip is now brownish where the light shined on them, and they no longer work (probably from overheating)

Anyways that is not my problem. I want to fix my halos, but this time I'm gonna order Oracle halos for them. My problem is when I took my stock set apart I had a world of trouble. I tried everything from the oven to my heat gun and I screwed the headlights up pretty bad taking then apart. I wasn't sure if they would go back together right. And I did get them back together and they looked great. I got a lot of compliments. But they don't sit right anymore. I'm not sure if it's how they went back together, or if it's my 2" rough country lift being higher in the front, but apparently I'm blinding everyone. I'm constantly getting flashed by drivers even though my high beams are off. I even had a guy swerve head on to me and stop and start cussing me out for "driving with high beams". I also had family tell me that when I'm driving behind them that they are very bright like they are pointed up too high.

But these aren't really adjustable. The halogen housing just screws right in with 3 screws and that's it. So either it's my lift, or they are warped from me damaging them so much taking them apart.

Anyways. I planned on buying a whole new OEM style aftermarket set and taking those apart. Painting them and putting Oracle halos in them while keeping my headlights on my jeep during that time. So I don't have to rush the project like last time. But I'm thinking maybe I should make the switch to the OEM HID style headlight assembly. I can get the pair for about$250 but it doesn't come with any wireing. I know I would need a relay and ballast etc, but I have no idea what to look for, where to shop. And how much money that would cost. If it would even be worth the switch. ? I have seen a thread on here for converting 06-07 to HID but not anything for 08 and newer headlight style.

I have a 2008 limited

Anyone know what wireing kits I would need and how much it would cost?

08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #2
caulk04
2008 WK 

Read your manual. The headlights are adjustable...get them aimed properly.
Unread 08-17-2014, 11:38 PM   #3
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
Read your manual. The headlights are adjustable...get them aimed properly.
Ok thanks for the help...... But my main question here is about switching to the HID housings. And I doubt that's in the manual.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
Unread 08-18-2014, 06:20 AM   #4
caulk04
2008 WK 

Any wiring should be the same from the 05-07, direct mounting and a simple relay harness.

Honestly, if you aren't sure how it works, just find a direct fit plug-play relay harness.
Unread 08-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #5
murderedoutGC
2007 WK 

get a longer Phillips screw driver......there is a screw above(pretty much) each headlight(have to look down to see it) that adjusts the height of the shine of the headlight. You can then adjust how much you want to blind the opposing driver with this.

As to your current problem, I would just take it to a local shop that does car mods and get them to install you an hid kit that will include the ballast and everything and comes with a year warranty as some of them burn out before that or a ballast goes bad.(just the easier way to go instead of having to come out of pocket each time you wanna purchase one from ebay).

just my 2 cent anyways....
Black Wk Club MEMBER #144
murderedoutGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #6
atarijedi
2008 WK 

You may have aiming trouble if you stick HID bulbs into a Halogen enclosure. Also, stay away from the blue tinted lights, blue light is horrible for night vision.
atarijedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #7
murderedoutGC
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atarijedi View Post
You may have aiming trouble if you stick HID bulbs into a Halogen enclosure. Also, stay away from the blue tinted lights, blue light is horrible for night vision.
mine have a small amount of blue in them but yet they def aren't the ultra white like the silverstars you get from pepboys. I can honestly see 10x's better in mine than my mothers, gf's, or dads cars with their stock headlight color.
Black Wk Club MEMBER #144
murderedoutGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 04:04 AM   #8
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atarijedi View Post
Yea no, I don't want to do that. I want to get the stock OEM projector HID headlight assemblies and replace both headlights all together. But I'm not sure if it's worth it. The pair for both left and right assembly is about $250 and that includes absolutely no wiring or harness, and no HID bulbs. So if it ends up being over $500 to switch to HID then it's not worth it.

If it's that expensive for relay, ballast and bulbs, I'll probably just stick to halogens and buy a spare set to customize while keeping my current set to drive around in.
Unread 09-04-2014, 07:09 AM   #9
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Ok guys,
I think I am about to pull the trigger and order a set of OEM projector housings and an HID wiring kit for them.

I know I need ballast and relay harness. Most the kits that I have found come with them. But most of the kits show for bulb type 9006 or 9005. That is where im confused because I thought those bulb types were the halogen bulbs that I am using now. And I don't see a kit for the D1S bulb (which is the stock grand Cherokee projector HID bulb)

When the kit says 9006, is it referring to the bulb type that I am converting FROM to a D1S? or is it saying that the kit will then use a 9006 HID bulb?
Unread 09-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #10
08zombie
Slow Modding 101

2008 WK 

I would honestly contact the company. "The Retrofit Source" is one that has quality product and would help you figure it out. Do you have a link for the kit you're thinking about? The kit labeled 9006 might be referring to PNP (plug and play) HID kits into stock halogen housings (Which you definitely DO NOT want nor should anyone buy). Omelet did the HID swap and kept the d1s projector. Maybe shoot him a PM and see which kit he bought?

I am actually working towards doing the same mod. Although when I do mine I will be swapping the projector out for a better one. The one I will be using will be a S2000 projector which has more of a more 'standard/commercial' bulb size.

Unread 09-09-2014, 05:16 AM   #11
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08zombie View Post
I would honestly contact the company. "The Retrofit Source" is one that has quality product and would help you figure it out. Do you have a link for the kit you're thinking about? The kit labeled 9006 might be referring to PNP (plug and play) HID kits into stock halogen housings (Which you definitely DO NOT want nor should anyone buy). Omelet did the HID swap and kept the d1s projector. Maybe shoot him a PM and see which kit he bought?

I am actually working towards doing the same mod. Although when I do mine I will be swapping the projector out for a better one. The one I will be using will be a S2000 projector which has more of a more 'standard/commercial' bulb size.

So are you adding those projectors into the stock halogen housings or into the stock projector housings? reason I ask is, I seen a couple people throw projectors into the halogen housings before and it turned out nice.

I'm backing out of the HID switch now. It's just to costly for me to justify it. If I already had the projector housing it would be more reasonable. But just switching to the OEM projector housings alone is almost $300 then you need relay, ballast and bulbs. So your talking anywhere from $400-500 for HIDs. The more I think about it, the more I realize it's not worth the money to me.

Unless I could cut my stock halogens and put aftermarket projectors in them for a lot less money than the stock projector housings.
It sucks too because we don't have any other / cheaper projector housing options. I have only seen two other projector headlight assemblies (non oem style) on eBay and in my opinion they are ugly as ****. They come with halos, but they are the cheap two single diode leds, one each end of a plastic ring. And they are not nearly as bright as real quality halos. They look cheap. That and the whole design of the headlight is horrid. It looks like eyebrows lol
Unread 09-09-2014, 05:43 AM   #12
jimmyj02

I have an 06 and put an HID conversion kit in mine and have had a few problems so be weary. I had to put an in-line resistor to stop the bulbs from flickering once I **** the car off. Also if I manually turned them off and on the low beams sometimes will not turn back on. I have to to the car off for about 10 mins and turn them on again after that...honestly it's a pain in the ***. But I really have no troubles when I let the auto headlights control it.
Not to mention the high beams occasionally work. I spoke with the company and they sent me a new ballast. Works better but not great.
jimmyj02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #13
08zombie
Slow Modding 101

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc View Post
So are you adding those projectors into the stock halogen housings or into the stock projector housings? reason I ask is, I seen a couple people throw projectors into the halogen housings before and it turned out nice.

I'm backing out of the HID switch now. It's just to costly for me to justify it. If I already had the projector housing it would be more reasonable. But just switching to the OEM projector housings alone is almost $300 then you need relay, ballast and bulbs. So your talking anywhere from $400-500 for HIDs. The more I think about it, the more I realize it's not worth the money to me.

Unless I could cut my stock halogens and put aftermarket projectors in them for a lot less money than the stock projector housings.
It sucks too because we don't have any other / cheaper projector housing options. I have only seen two other projector headlight assemblies (non oem style) on eBay and in my opinion they are ugly as ****. They come with halos, but they are the cheap two single diode leds, one each end of a plastic ring. And they are not nearly as bright as real quality halos. They look cheap. That and the whole design of the headlight is horrid. It looks like eyebrows lol
My plan is to eventually get the OEM headlights and swap out the projectors for the new ones (assuming they fit). Although yes you can install projectors into the stock low beam location.

The Retrofit Source has a ton of projectors in their closeout section that would work great if you're on a budget. You'd still need the ballast/bulbs/etc. I'd recommend looking for a D2S projector-
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/closeouts.html

The Mini H1 kit is a good kit. Not the best but absolutely better than stock halogen. It'll set you back about $305+shipping.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.VA75RfldV0w
The Mini D2S is also a good kit. Better bulb selection though. It'll set you back $315+shipping.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.VA75R_ldV0w

Here is an example of the projectors in stock housings (they have a quad retrofit though, you'd just be doing the low beams i'd assume?)-

Here is a picture of the output i'm expecting from each of the projectors (s2000) I received. One has a burnt bowl though so I will need to find a replacement for it.
Unread 09-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #14
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

I still feel like nothing beats the look of the stock oem projector housings. Even those retrofit halogen housings..... They look good, but not nearly as good as the stock projector housing IMO. Doing what you want to do would be the best bet. Getting the OEM ones and swapping the projectors.

I still think I'm gonna back out now. Maybe I'm weird, but I want my halos back more than I want HIDs. I wanted both, but if I have to sacrifice, I'd rather go with halos. The ones I had looked nice. And I just talked to flashtech and I might get a custom set of color changing halos. Oracle doesn't sell color changing for the halogen style housing. And their customer serive is also very rude. Both times I have called they were rude and short. Flashtech on the other hand was very nice and helpful and customer service is always first in my eyes.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.