Hard Shifting - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Hard Shifting

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 04-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #16
SmallsWk
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000blackxj;

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask about the transfer case... My WK does not have a quadra-drive emblem below the shifter like all other WK's I've seen had so I am not sure what transfer case I have... It also does not have the trail rated emblem or any skid plates =(...
Do you have a Chrome T-handle in the cab beside your shifter?

Unread 04-22-2011, 07:06 AM   #17
2000blackxj

Yes. I have a chrome t handle next to the shifter. The problem does seem to be between 3-4 gears.
2000blackxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #18
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000blackxj View Post
Yes. I have a chrome t handle next to the shifter.
Then you at least have QT2. Count your rear diff cover bolts. If you have 10 bolts, then you have QT2. If you have 12 bolts, then you have QD2.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #19
kkuty
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVideo View Post
I don't think I would trust Jiffy Lube to put the correct amount of transmission fluid back in since you have to know the tranny temp to do so. Actually I don't think I would trust Jiffy Lube or any other fast service oil change location.
You don't have to know the temp...

The manual states that after driving 15 miles the transmission will be at normal operating temperature. That's when to check the fluid.
kkuty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #20
WK-916

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteelJP View Post
Sorry but, never, ever, ever take it to Jiffy lube for anything other than an oil change. Even then, I wouldn't trust them to do a simple oil change.
X2...! I have seen a car come in from JiffyLube (when I worked at Midas while in School) and they said the motor was blown...

Had a JiffyLube oil filter on it, by the way...

Went to pull the drain plug outof the oil pan and milky water came out... They never put oil back in the car and it cracked the block!
WK-916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #21
rbptrsn
2006 WK 

Was the problem resolved? I am having the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000blackxj View Post
Yes. I have a chrome t handle next to the shifter. The problem does seem to be between 3-4 gears.
rbptrsn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #22
2000blackxj

No... The problem still exists...but I have not tried fixing it yet. Once I have some free time I plan on changing the fluid and filters as well as having the dealer fix the technical bulletin in regards to the MDS system engaging harshly... I will update the post once the work has been completed.
2000blackxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #23
rbptrsn
2006 WK 

I just had the pcm and tcm refreshed and the car shifts better and the throttle is more responsive. The tech at the dealer said hard shift could be the shifter module failing especially when you see prnd in hard brakets on your dash.
Unread 01-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #24
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

True statement about the brackets around shift positions. Some have cleaned the shift module (may have to do a search) with good results. I haven't had the "pleasure" of dealing with this issue.....yet. I solved all my shift problems with a Sonnax Line Pressure Booster and the Superchips Tuner with the Advanced Transmission Tuning Application. I've got it set up exactly the way I want it now and, IMO, it works as good as it ever will. Most complaints are on the 3-4 shift, 4th being the first overdrive gear. I solved the problem by delaying the upshift to a higher mph and reducing torque management to make the shift more positive. Works great for me.

On your throttle response, if you have the Hemi, make sure you have a clean throttle body. I would also highly recommend you acquire some sort of catch can. Throttle response issues are sometimes caused by contamination caused by the lousy PCV system on the Hemi's.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #25
rbptrsn
2006 WK 

No hemi, I have a 3.7 engine. I will clean the connectors over the weekend.
Unread 01-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #26
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Rbptrsn, you have the "good" transmission (NAG1) in your 3.7. I have the same one in my Hemi LX and it's way better than the one in the 5.7 Jeep. Your tranny should normally be smooth shifting at light throttle and quite firm at WOT. Make sure the fluid level is correct and it has been serviced at the proper intervals. Mine will snap your head off on the WOT upshifts. For giggles you may also want to check the throttle body too and make sure there is no contamination, especially the back side of the throttle butterfly. I haven't heard of any of the 3.7 folks having this problem, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

2000, on yours, a few preferences that I use on mine, FWIW.
--I have had good luck with NGK copper plugs, LZTR4A-11, Stock No. 5306. The Hemi takes 16 plugs. Never had an issue with either of my Hemi's.
--As said before, a good synthetic oil seems to work better than a good dino. oil. I use Mobil 1 oil/filter at 6000 mi. change intervals. Some change sooner and a few change later.
--On the air filter, I have a K and N in the LX and a TruFlow in the WK. I think, between the two, I like the TruFlow a little better. It seems to filter a little better. Just my opinion only though.
--I don't recall the cabin filter install being any big deal. I know I didn't remove the wiper though.
--IMO, with your mileage, I think changing the EGR, PCV and and MAP would be good. It'll let you know where you're at for future reference, and may preclude some problems down the road. All 3 should be under ~$100.
--Again, IMO, the trans. service, like Walt said, is a must. Look for any debris on the magnet and/or in the bottom of the pan. Fluid will probably be brown (OK), but not burnt smelling. Main issues here have been...bad return filter (TSB) and side splitting on the main filter so it sucks air. Also, on reinstall of new filter, be sure to follow instructions in FSM to make sure it is properly seated.
--Definitely do the Xfer case and diffs. Fluids are a little spendy, but a lot cheaper than new parts. Again, then you'll know where you're at with regard to the maintenance status of the vehicle.
--Yep on the serpentine belt. I carry the old one as a spare, just in case. I also carry a cam and crank position sensor in both Hemi vehicles, as an on road failure of one of them could possibley leave you stranded. May never need them but, again IMO, it's cheap insurance. I hate breakdowns.
--I am not a big fan of the cleaners that you run through the engine. Fuel injector cleaner is probably not as bad as some of the other stuff though. That being said, with the Hemi's lousy crankcase ventilation system, it may be necessary, depending how bad your throttle body and intake plenum looks. All the contaminants end up going out the exhaust and through the O2 Sensors and catalytic converters, possibly shortening their lives. See the thread I did on O2's: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/o...rimer-1182446/ I stay away from those cleaners like the plague. Once you're on top of the maintenance and use good quality fuel, there really should be no need for them anyway.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck on your maintenance quest, and let us know how it goes.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
Unread 03-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #27
rbptrsn
2006 WK 

The check enigne light came on and hard bracket prnd. so I pulled the codes and it was a p0700. I brokedown and replaced the shifter module so far its shifting better but time will tell.
Unread 03-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #28
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Good to hear. Hope you've got it fixed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.