Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

H&R lowering springs and Bilstein 4600 installation

11K views 56 replies 10 participants last post by  PolkaPower 
#1 ·
I finally got around to getting the 5.7 lowered.
After I put in the Addco front and rear sway bars, I couldn't wait to get the rest of the suspension up to snuff.
I started with the rear because it's ridiculously easy to do.

Just put the Jeep on jack stands at the frame rail.
Unbolt the sway bar end links.
Remove the tires.
Unbolt the shocks.
Unbolt the brake line brackets.
Jack up the opposite side of the axle you are working on,
And the springs pop right out.
The new springs go right in with little effort.
The drivers side required a pry bar because the fuel tank limits droop but it was minimal effort to complete.

I decided to plasti dip the Bilsteins because they are baby blue and yellow and the H&R springs are a sort of blue/purple.

I didn't want to look like a Thomas Kinkade painting so black they went.

Installation of the rear is the opposite of removal.

If I didn't paint the shocks the whole thing would have taken about an hour.

I may have to trim maybe an inch from the bump stops but I'm going to drive it for a bit and see if I bottom out or not.

I'll get around to the front tomorrow.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Started about 10 am this morning and got 1 and 1/2 complete for the front.
However easy the rear was the front sure makes up for it.
Definitely a learning curve as well.
I didn't remove the calipers
I also didn't remove the big bolt that holds the shock bracket.
I tried with a 4 foot breaker bar but it kept coming off and started to deform the bolt.
I basically let the a arm down and hammered it up and out.
Passenger side worked out but the drivers side is more stubborn.
To get the shock in on the passenger side, I bolted it up to the top and placed the bottom in the holder then used a jack under the bottom control arm while tapping the shock holder.
That popped right in.
I'll have another go at it tomorrow.

Attachments

#8 ·
Nice! So what made you go with the H&R's over Eibachs? I had a hard time making a decision and decided on the Eibachs because there was more info on them. I found like 2 people who did the H&R's and they loved em. If I wasn't towing a boat I would have don't with the SRT8 eibachs.

Also congrats on getting the front suspension out! I knocked out all three corners myself but couldn't get that f***in fork bolt out on the driver side. I gave up and paid someone to do it.

#9 ·
I read up on the Eibachs but there seemed to be a possible bouncy /bottoming out situation with some of the reviews and that kind of turned me off from them.
I was also looking into the srt8 springs and Road Magnet.
One of the reasons why I went with H&R was because Tire Rack sells them and the warehouse is down the road from me so I just went down there and picked them up.
I have not come across any poor reviews with the H&R even though there is little information on them.

#14 ·
I pried them open from the back a little and soaked it with pb blaster. I can't find my mini sledge so I'm using a large pry bar forcing upward while I beat it up with a hammer.
It really sucks but it's working.
I'll be able to swing a viking hammer quite well after this workout.

I thought about cutting it out but that would be a terrible mess haha!

#18 ·
Initial thoughts after test drive is holy smokes! I should have done this sooner!
It completely transformed the way it drives and feels.
Nice and tight without being harsh and totally eliminated the spongy floaty feel. Not bouncy at all.
I hit some good size speed bulbs and so far no bottoming out on the bump stops. I'll have to test further with it loaded down.
It looks great too.

#23 ·
You'll love the Bilsteins. We have a set of the HDs on my old 98 ZJ (now my son's) that I installed in May of 2002 they are still good after 135,000 miles (Jeep has 171,000 on it). I put a set of the 5100s in the rear of my 07 a few years back still have to do the front.

#24 ·
I had 5100s on my 5.9 with addco sway bars and a PSC steering gear.
I used OME HD springs and it rode better than stock.
I doubt I'll have to buy new shocks again with these Bilsteins. They are tough.
These 4600s I have on the 5 7 ride smoother than the 5100s I had.

#28 ·
Looks great. I love those stock srt wheels.
They are heavy though. Did you notice after you put them on?

Just took a new measurement.

A little over 17" in front and around 18 1/4 rear.
I'll measure again in another week. I need to get an alignment soon as well.
Did you need any camber ball joints or anything like that?

#31 ·
:2thumbsup:
Looks great. I love those stock srt wheels.
They are heavy though. Did you notice after you put them on?
Yes I noticed some, but I have no problem putting cosmetics over off the line performance. I stare at this thing in my driveway and sit in traffic (like 300 days a year) way more than I attempt to break my best 0-60 time (like 3 times a year). My best 0-60 is 6 flat in full auto @ 1k rpm and I know that I can break into the 5's. I must break into the 5's, so ultimately my goal is that with these big ol' wheels :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.