Guidance of WK build - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 08-13-2013, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
slayerized6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 104
Guidance of WK build

I am the recent owner of a 2008 WK Limited. My plan in the next few weeks is to lift my WK. It will mostly be for looks and winter driving and light off-roading (beach 4x4 permit).

ALREADY ORDERED/HAVE:
~OME HD lift
~17x7.5 MOAB Wheels (2013 JK Takeoffs)
~255/75/17 Goodyear Wranglers (2013 JK Takeoffs)
~1.5" Spidertrax Spacers

Is there anything else I need to be concerned about or something else I need to order. My worries right now are on whether or not I will have to do the front and/or rear pinch weld mods.??? I really dont want to mess with the structure of the car. What if I didnt install the spacers, would I have the same problem? I just want to know what your guys recommendations would be for me.


2008 Grand Cherokee (WK)- 5.7l HEMI. OME HD Lift, Superchips Tune w/ ATT, aFe Intake, Flowmaster 44

Last edited by slayerized6; 08-13-2013 at 02:59 AM.
slayerized6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 08-13-2013, 04:41 AM
LJS8510
Web Wheeler
 
LJS8510's Avatar
2015 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago Il
Posts: 1,522
I'm not sure what BS is on the wheels you plan on but if you get the correct BS wheels you do not need spacers.
You might save money & the time & hassle of checking the spacers.


2015 WK II 5.7 Overland, Offroad Group II,- 2008 WK Limited 3.0 CRD, - 2003 WJ Laredo 4.7, - 2001 WJ Laredo 4.0, - 1999 WJ Limited 4.7-
LJS8510 is offline  
post #3 of 25 Old 08-13-2013, 07:57 AM
bhawks28
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: chicago
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS8510 View Post
I'm not sure what BS is on the wheels you plan on but if you get the correct BS wheels you do not need spacers.
You might save money & the time & hassle of checking the spacers.
I think he'll needs spacers only in the front to clear the caliper. I have the same wheels (and same size tires) on my '09. I think if you use small enough spacers (7/32" or 1/4" I believe) in the front, you can avoid the front pinch weld mod. I just went with 1.5" Spidertraxx spacers because I like how wide the stance is with them on. I had to do the front pinch weld because the front would rub at full lock.

2014 JKU Rubicon
bhawks28 is offline  
post #4 of 25 Old 08-13-2013, 10:28 AM
yzjwk
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lac du Bonnet
Posts: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerized6 View Post
I am the recent owner of a 2008 WK Limited. My plan in the next few weeks is to lift my WK. It will mostly be for looks and winter driving and light off-roading (beach 4x4 permit).

ALREADY ORDERED/HAVE:
~OME HD lift
~17x7.5 MOAB Wheels (2013 JK Takeoffs)
~255/75/17 Goodyear Wranglers (2013 JK Takeoffs)
~1.5" Spidertrax Spacers

Is there anything else I need to be concerned about or something else I need to order. My worries right now are on whether or not I will have to do the front and/or rear pinch weld mods.??? I really dont want to mess with the structure of the car. What if I didnt install the spacers, would I have the same problem? I just want to know what your guys recommendations would be for me.
If you have the tires and wheels and spacers , why not just test fit without the lift and or without spacers and see where everything is . then you can steer lock-lock and jack up the frame by a couple inches to see where everything will sit with the lift . You might as well get this stuff sorted out before you go through the process of having the lift on and it not being exactly what you want .

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline  
post #5 of 25 Old 08-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Anon155
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Gainesville
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawks28 View Post
I think he'll needs spacers only in the front to clear the caliper. I have the same wheels (and same size tires) on my '09. I think if you use small enough spacers (7/32" or 1/4" I believe) in the front, you can avoid the front pinch weld mod. I just went with 1.5" Spidertraxx spacers because I like how wide the stance is with them on. I had to do the front pinch weld because the front would rub at full lock.
^^^ That's correct. I tested everything out before I put my OME lift on. The spidertrax 1.5" spacers will definitely make that size tire rub on the pinch weld at full lock. There's no way to avoid it since you essentially moved everything outward. You will need a small spacer like bhawks said, so you don't rub your front calipers. The moabs won't fit otherwise. As long as you don't plan to do much off roading you should be fine for every day street driving. Just be careful when you do go off road that you don't stuff your tires too much causing the weld to puncture or cause damage.

But by doing the pinch weld mod, you aren't hurting the structural integrity of the car, unless you cut the welds completely off. That would be a big no no. By cutting slits and folding the sections down instead, you keep close to if not as much structural integrity as there would have been with them straight out. Just an fyi.

05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 08-14-2013, 07:14 AM
IndyBlueWK
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Carmel
Posts: 1,155
NO SPACERS!!! Spacers cause rub.. Took mine off and the tires dont rub.. I am running a 265!
IndyBlueWK is offline  
post #7 of 25 Old 08-14-2013, 07:29 AM
bhawks28
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: chicago
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBlueWK View Post
NO SPACERS!!! Spacers cause rub.. Took mine off and the tires dont rub.. I am running a 265!
Did you read the thread? He needs spacers to clear the front caliper if he's going to use those wheels. Don't just blindly tell someone who is obviously new (to WK, don't mean to offend here ) not to use spacers...that's why the pinch weld mod exists.

2014 JKU Rubicon
bhawks28 is offline  
post #8 of 25 Old 08-14-2013, 07:31 AM
IndyBlueWK
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Carmel
Posts: 1,155
IndyBlueWK is offline  
post #9 of 25 Old 08-14-2013, 08:35 AM
bhawks28
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: chicago
Posts: 797
yeah good one man

2014 JKU Rubicon
bhawks28 is offline  
post #10 of 25 Old 08-21-2013, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
slayerized6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 104
Thanks everyone for their replies. I banged out the front pinch welds the other day...a lot easier to do than I expected. I ended up using Gorllia Tape and Truck Undercoating to patch up the wheel well liner which came out pretty good.

NEXT QUESTION: Is it necessary to do the rear pinch weld mod with my potential setup? (OME HD Lift, 17x7.5 MOAB Wheels, 255/75/17 tires, 1.5" Spacers) If it helps, I am not looking to get into serious offroading where I am looking for full articulation

2008 Grand Cherokee (WK)- 5.7l HEMI. OME HD Lift, Superchips Tune w/ ATT, aFe Intake, Flowmaster 44
slayerized6 is offline  
post #11 of 25 Old 08-21-2013, 10:55 PM
bhawks28
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: chicago
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerized6 View Post
Thanks everyone for their replies. I banged out the front pinch welds the other day...a lot easier to do than I expected. I ended up using Gorllia Tape and Truck Undercoating to patch up the wheel well liner which came out pretty good.

NEXT QUESTION: Is it necessary to do the rear pinch weld mod with my potential setup? (OME HD Lift, 17x7.5 MOAB Wheels, 255/75/17 tires, 1.5" Spacers) If it helps, I am not looking to get into serious offroading where I am looking for full articulation
I have the same setup. Rear pinch weld mod would help, but is definitely not necessary. I don't have it done and I haven't experienced any negative effects. I've been off the road a couple of times with this setup and have experienced no issues.

2014 JKU Rubicon
bhawks28 is offline  
post #12 of 25 Old 08-21-2013, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
slayerized6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawks28 View Post
I have the same setup. Rear pinch weld mod would help, but is definitely not necessary. I don't have it done and I haven't experienced any negative effects. I've been off the road a couple of times with this setup and have experienced no issues.
Awesome. How do you like your setup?

2008 Grand Cherokee (WK)- 5.7l HEMI. OME HD Lift, Superchips Tune w/ ATT, aFe Intake, Flowmaster 44
slayerized6 is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 08-22-2013, 06:52 AM
IndyBlueWK
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Carmel
Posts: 1,155
If you take the spacers off you wont have to do any pinch weld mods.. (Hint Hint)
IndyBlueWK is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 08-22-2013, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
slayerized6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBlueWK View Post
If you take the spacers off you wont have to do any pinch weld mods.. (Hint Hint)
Yup, I know. Ill def need atleast a .25'' spacers (or similar) for the front atleast due to the calipers

2008 Grand Cherokee (WK)- 5.7l HEMI. OME HD Lift, Superchips Tune w/ ATT, aFe Intake, Flowmaster 44
slayerized6 is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 08-22-2013, 07:33 AM
bhawks28
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: chicago
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerized6 View Post
Awesome. How do you like your setup?
I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBlueWK View Post
If you take the spacers off you wont have to do any pinch weld mods.. (Hint Hint)
Hey, maybe you should post this again. Should he use spacers?

2014 JKU Rubicon
bhawks28 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome