Grinding noise from front end when I turn my wheels hard left or right. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Grinding noise from front end when I turn my wheels hard left or right.

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 08-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
dmunsey68

Grinding noise from front end when I turn my wheels hard left or right.

My wife bought a used 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L 4x4 with Quadratract II 2 weeks ago. When she drives out of the drive way and turns left onto the road there is a bad grinding noise coming from the front end. When she turns right onto the other street it makes the same grinding noise.

I have taken the the front diff apart, looked at the spider gear(s) and there isn't any metal shavings, no rounded gear teeth. I looked at the gear backlash and the patten is what the OEM Service manual for Jeep recommends. I looked at my steering pump as well and it looks great and works fine. The tire size is the same as on the sticker on the "B" pillar as well. After driving for about 15 minutes there isn't a grinding noise and it's nice and quiet.

Is this a common problem with this kind of Jeep with the Quadratarct II trans?

dmunsey68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
nukejc
2007 WK 

I'm having the same problem with my Jeep. Does yours almost feel like the front axle is locked as if it were in 4-low? I'm not a differential expert but I think the front locking diff is having a problem opening up. I'm going to try switching out the fluid to make sure it has the Chrysler's axle fluid designed for these axles (friction modifier additive). I'm hoping that will help because I don't see any particles in the fluid.
nukejc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
07WKLtd
2007 WK 

Check that your brake lines arent rubbing the tires @ full lock
07WKLtd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
1badjk
2005 WK 

Sounds like the exact same issue I am having all the sudden..When I first start off and turn sharp there is a thumping / griding noise.. You can even see the wheels shake each time it thumps.. Sounds like a tire rubbing.. But its not.. either side.. But like stated above after a few minutes of driving it goes away.. Let me know what you find out..

Jay
Unread 08-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
dmunsey68

I took my wifes Jeep back to the dealership, told them what I did, and they did the same thing. Nothing is rubbing the tires at fill lock. They changed the front diff fluid and it still makes the grinding noise, however, it's not as bad...still there but not as bad. The Technician couldn't find anything wrong, he looked at it the same way I mentioned above. Since we have the extended warrenty the technician and service writer said they can put in a new front axel. If that doesn't fix the problem I guess my next step is to go the "lemon" law route and see if they can get me another 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the same features.

I called Jeep in Detroit and they haven't heard of this issue since none of the Jeep dealerships have reported this problem.
dmunsey68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
LelandGray
2005 WK 

Our Jeep just did the same thing.. it's a 2005 Limited with the 5.7L Hemi and full time AWD.

I took it to the dealer, they said $350 just to pull it apart and look to see what's wrong. They said it would likely need a new front differential to the tune of $3500.
Silver WK Club Member #11
LelandGray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
1fstsdn

Anyone have any updates on this? My wife's 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 has horrible noises coming from the front differential when making tight slow turns. I changed the fluid hoping that would resolve the issue with no luck.

Guessing the clutches or bearings may be shot?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
1fstsdn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
dodgecumminsguy

2005 Grand Cherokee Front diff grind/clunk

I have a 2005 Limited hemi that just started the same thing, Seems to me like the electronic limited slip is the cause, just curious if any of you guys ever figured yours out, thanks
dodgecumminsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #9
ChrisWK
2005 WK 

Could be a sensor in the differential I think the rear has one maybe the front too, and it went bad just a idea?
Limited HEMI Dark Khaki Pearl SRT8 Full Body Kit, Roof Rails,SRT8 Engine Strut Bar, Lund Rear Spoiler, MYGIG INSTALLED with LOCKPICK, Kenwood Sub,AFE Intake, Taylor Spark Plug Wires,G2 Silver Painted Brake Calipers, Billet Tech Catch Can, Addco Sway Bars Front and Rear, Eibach Lowering Springs,Xenon Volt HID Lows 6k,Chrome SRT Reps
ChrisWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #10
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgecumminsguy View Post
I have a 2005 Limited hemi that just started the same thing, Seems to me like the electronic limited slip is the cause, just curious if any of you guys ever figured yours out, thanks
Try turning your traction control/ESP off and see if it still does it. I have heard of people having troubles with that especially if you have larger or mis-matched tires on.
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #11
mrgraham

Has anyone found any resolve to this issue? I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited with the same problems (grinding noise coming from front axle when turning left & right that only lasts for a few miles or once I hit the highway). I have changed both differential fluids, as well as the transfer case fluids, but I am still getting the grinding noise. My next step is to add the limited slip fluid to the front differential, which does not call for the fluid. I figured i could not hurt. How has no Jeep manufacturer not heard of this? I call BS, this problem is all over the internet. Any help is appreciated!
mrgraham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2014, 01:47 AM   #12
colinzj
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgraham View Post
I have changed both differential fluids, as well as the transfer case fluids, but I am still getting the grinding noise. My next step is to add the limited slip fluid to the front differential, which does not call for the fluid.
Yikes. If you have QuadraDrive, both differentials call for the fluid. If you have QDII and haven't been running the friction modifier in the front, yes, that would cause strange noise and behavior.
Unread 10-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #13
BigRick
2008 WK 

Agree w/ colinzj - I had this same problem and it was cured with a transfer case oil change that included the whale oil additive. After the change do some figure 8's in the parking lot - I thought my transfer case was gonna fall out or explode, but a simple oil change fixed it.
BigRick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #14
mrgraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinzj View Post
Yikes. If you have QuadraDrive, both differentials call for the fluid. If you have QDII and haven't been running the friction modifier in the front, yes, that would cause strange noise and behavior.
Yes, I have the QDII but have not been running the friction modifier in the front. Neither the mechanic (from whatever he looked up on his ancient computer) or even the dealership service department said the front differential called for the added friction modifier. BUT... both also said that it could't hurt. I will be purchasing some Mopar limited slip additive from the dealer this evening and adding it to the front. I will post back with an update. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRick View Post
Agree w/ colinzj - I had this same problem and it was cured with a transfer case oil change that included the whale oil additive. After the change do some figure 8's in the parking lot - I thought my transfer case was gonna fall out or explode, but a simple oil change fixed it.
I changed the transfer case fluid myself and used the NV245/247/249 that I got from the dealer. I have not seen anywhere that says the transfer case calls for any additive. I have also never heard of the whale oil additive... Have any links or references that explain that an additive is needed in the transfer case? I APPRECIATE THE HELP.
mrgraham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #15
Keeslinger31
2005 WK 

I just go by this maintenance schedulehttp://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.