Green Diesel Engineering tune for WK - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Green Diesel Engineering tune for WK

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #61
revitup

Hey thanks I will check into that, now that we have had this issue I am just starting to get interested in this engine and the GDE tune.

revitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #62
ryann04
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valpacer View Post
Might want to check on that, the 3.0crd runs at 22psi......... and has an intercooler
Thats normal for a diesel though. Gas turboed vehicles don't usually go over 12psi max at a stock level; usually 7-9 psi.
Blue WK Club Member #42 // DIESEL FTW !!!! -Ryan
ryann04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #63
Radcrd
2007 WK 

Its not much more boost, around 2 psi or so . Stock I was seeing around 20 to 22 psi. Tuned I get 22 to 24 psi.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #64
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryann04 View Post
Thats normal for a diesel though. Gas turboed vehicles don't usually go over 12psi max at a stock level; usually 7-9 psi.
Your point?

At no stage in this thread is there any discussion of Gas turboing?
2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Valpacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #65
ryann04
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by revitup View Post
I've got an 2008 with 111,000 klms and just got the bad news yesturday. So I'm thinking of going with the GDE Eco tune, and possibly with the gutted DPF.

Does anyone know what the max stock boost pressure is (PSI) and what is the max Eco tune PSI?

I used to be a real turbo/tuner/tech guy. Stock max boosts are about 7-9 psi next upgrade, 12-14 PSI and go up from there. I'm guessing if the performance of the Eco Tune is significant we are looking at a boost of 12-14PSI... which is still OK with no intercooler.
His logic in this statement is only true with most gas turbo vehicles, not diesels. So I cleared the air. Thanks :-)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Blue WK Club Member #42 // DIESEL FTW !!!! -Ryan
ryann04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #66
Yagro
2008 WK 

Can anyone here or GDE confirm if the swirl motor is disabled standard with the Eco-Tune? If so, any insights to why, other than for those having issues with theirs?
I only ask because if the motor works, and the EGR is shut off then no more oil should be misting into the intake hose and then leaking down onto the swirl motor, right?
If that's true, and it may not be, but wouldn't the swirl motor improve low end responsiveness?
Yagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #67
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagro View Post
Can anyone here or GDE confirm if the swirl motor is disabled standard with the Eco-Tune? If so, any insights to why, other than for those having issues with theirs?
I only ask because if the motor works, and the EGR is shut off then no more oil should be misting into the intake hose and then leaking down onto the swirl motor, right?
If that's true, and it may not be, but wouldn't the swirl motor improve low end responsiveness?
I'm pretty sure Eco turns off the swirl standard.... don't know about EGR. BUT...you will still get oil in the intake hose. Take a look at the source of the oil. See the vent pipe coming out of the passenger side of the head and going right into the turbo intake. Only cure for that is an Elephant Hose Mod, or a filter to clean up the vented air. I did the EHM and get no oil in my turbo.... its not for everybody. Oh, you can also upgrade the intake gasket.

As to the why.... its because the Swirl Motor is such a PITA to replace and they all seem to go bad at an early age, especially if you have the oil problem. Dealers charge anywhere from $1200 to $3500 for the job and if you don't watch them closely, they will pull your engine to do it. I replaced mine for about $400 and did the job myself. It was difficult. Then I bought the ECO Tune a few months later...so now I have a new swirl motor that does nothing..... but I'm happy with that. If I had known about Eco before replacing the swirl, I would not have done the replacement.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #68
Yagro
2008 WK 

Thanks Chripz. All of your posts have been a great read! I think I've spent so much time researching EGR tech that I up and forgot about the crank case venting. I wish there were some way to add a filter/separator where the vent starts so that oil just drained back into the pan, but I guess changing the filter would then be a pain.
@GDE: Would a separate tune with swirl motor enabled have any performance advantage, or is it outweighed by the complexity of accounting for the enabled motor? I would surely pay the $100 bucks for a more responsive low end knowing that if I one day have a swirl motor failure I can pull over and swap for the standard Eco-Tune to solve it in a flash. It's probably not as simple as just re-enabling the swirl motor, so I am guessing more people would have to be interested before it was worthwhile putting the time in for that custom tune.
For those interested, I just installed the Eco-Tune a few days back and I'm seeing a 10-15% increase in fuel economy, which for me with a 4"lift and 32.5" BFG TA/KO tires is a welcome improvement.
Power is noticeably increased over 90% of driving and I don't see going back to stock ever! The power exception is when it's not warmed up and I have the usual sluggishness, except the engine rattles much more easily and louder when pressing the pedal before fully warmed up. It always had this sluggishness and noise before, but half the volume and with less throttle. It's my guess this is the swirl motor being off now. Once warmed up as before this is non-existent.
Unread 12-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #69
Blue_Sassley
2008 WK 

Yagro I to noticed the rattling sound after installed my ECO tune and found it goes away at either full temp or when I throw the stock tune back on, of couple of us were talking about that a little over a month ago here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/g...l#post17579921

GDE did say if you send over some information they could look into the areas of the tune and maybe get it quited down more.

As to your question about the EGR and Swirl motor they are both disabled with the ECO tune (99% sure) With the swirl motor disabled I haven't noticed any power issues at low speeds low RPMs.

Quote:
Available power is increased to 250hp and the torque is also increased along with a broader torque curve.
Fuel economy is increased by 2-4mpg.
EGR is eliminated and turbo lag is reduced significantly.
The swirl motor is turned off and no CEL if the motor has a failure (common problem on this application).
Flash tool is included with the purchase.
http://www.greendieselengineering.co...+tune&model=++

Blue
1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L - ST - Stock (Wreaked)
Blue_Sassley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #70
Yagro
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Sassley View Post
As to your question about the EGR and Swirl motor they are both disabled with the ECO tune (99% sure) With the swirl motor disabled I haven't noticed any power issues at low speeds low RPMs.

http://www.greendieselengineering.co...+tune&model=++

Blue
Yeah, I may just be imagining the power loss in that situation. I know I used to back off the pedal because of that noise and am likely doing it more now that the noise is louder and easier to create. So it's probably me throttling down.
I guess I wish I knew what exactly creates that noise, and why it's temperature related. If it's injection timing then I imagine it could be improved, but if it's just temp/winter fuel related then I guess it is what it is.
My thought was that it's slower fuel combustion at lower temperatures creating an increased "knocking" from having more combustion happening after Top Dead Center of the piston, which I also though the swirl motor was supposed to prevent by causing the the fuel/air to "mix" faster by creating air intake turbulence at those lower temps.
Unread 12-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #71
GDE
2005 KJ Liberty 

The swirl motor shuts off half the intake runners. Each cylinder has a tangential and helical port, swirl shut off tangential port at light loads with rpm below 2400. This is used in conjunction with EGR to help mixing and reducing soot formation.

The GDE tune keeps all ports open all the time for maximum airflow to the cylinders. This allows for slightly more fueling and more rapid turbo spool up. The is no need for more swirl with the GDE tunes, it would only hurt efficiency.

The increase combustion noise during the warmup is due to advanced injection timing and a slightly reduced pilot injection quantity. Timing advance is tied to coolant temps and the noise diminishes when warm.

You can always add a HOT tune if you want further reductions in boost lag.
GDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #72
Yagro
2008 WK 

Thanks GDE. That answers all my questions. Again, I really like the way the tune drives, and the fact that I have two expensive systems that i don't need any more and don't have to worry about is good peace of mind. Also less contaminants in my oil floating around everywhere can't be a bad thing.
I wonder if the NOx reduction numbers that get posted with EGR on take into account the extra fuel that then needs to be spent because of it. Normally they post NOx numbers at a certain RPM and ENGINE load, but with EGR off the real vehicle load could be accomplished at a lower engine load, and therefore lower RPM, or at least lower fuel being dumped into the cyinder, no? Am I wrong? Anyways, I'll leave the forum alone now. I'm taking too much interest without knowing enough about how it all works...:-)
Unread 12-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #73
Blue_Sassley
2008 WK 

For me I felt the biggest change I had was getting rid of the DPF and all that back pressure. At low speeds to me its shifts very smoothly when that darn thing gone. Although my rig had 164,000 miles on it when I removed it and I'm sure it was original.

Blue
1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L - ST - Stock (Wreaked)
Blue_Sassley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #74
Supermanbaja
2008 WK 

Is the DPF rely that much of an improvement? Is it 300.00 for the test pipe and an extra 100.00 if you have the GDE tune?
Supermanbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #75
Radcrd
2007 WK 

You will gain some power and get better economy. You can also extend your oil change intervals saving more $$. And your Glow Plugs will have a MUCH longer lifespan as they will no longer be required during the re-generation cycle. All depends on how much mileage you do and how long you plan to keep your CRD.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.