Green Diesel Engineering tune for WK - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Green Diesel Engineering tune for WK

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #46
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

i sent an email yesterday....still waiting on a reply..

TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #47
Red_Smoke
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
why didn't Jeep (or Mercedes) tune it like you do from the beginning?
2007 was the phase in of the "Tier 2" emissions standards to light-duty passenger cars, including your Grand Cherokee CRD. What this means is DaimlerChrysler (at the time) had to prove to the EPA that the emissions emitted from the tailpipe did not exceed specific limits set forth in the "Bin" category of the vehicle for both the 50,000mile point as well as "end of life". The tailpipe emission most closely watch in the diesel world is the NOx, which is a direct result of the combustion temperatures. Rich combustion = lower NOx, but worse fuel economy. Conversely, lean combustion (ie more air for every one part of fuel) will give better fuel economy at the expense of higher NOx.

Jeep didn't do it this way from the factory because they weren't allowed to. Are you going to notice the higher NOx with an aftermarket calibration? - Absolutely not. I don't have emissions data for the GDE calibration, but I'm guessing it takes it back to 2003-type levels, which is still clean in my opinion. Write your congressman and ask him to push an agenda of fuel economy vs. emissions regulations. This has historically been the direction of the European "Euro" regs (which is why their cars get 40+ mpg)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
Also, I was looking into a DPF delete and using a tune from another company, but do you think a DPF delete would make much of a difference with this engine? Thanks!
The back pressure of the Jeep DPF is very low, with regeneration events only occurring every ≈750 miles. There's not a lot of fuel economy to gain here. In comparison, DPF regenerations on the Big 3 diesel trucks are more like every 60-200 miles, so there are bigger gains with delete kits on those vehicles.

My suggestion... go with the GDE calibration only, and enjoy the mileage gains and extra skinny pedal it gives you.
2008 Rubi Unlimited: Gone!
Smashin' Punkin - 06 Rubi LJ, Cummins QSB3.3, work in progress
IndyORV
Red_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #48
p3busman

Re: the Inmotion tune. I put the stage 2 version in my '07 WK this past June. There is a very noticeable power improvement with this tune. I have not nailed down any real gain in fuel mileage as the tune was installed right at the beginning of some very hot weather, which ment I was running the AC all the time. My daily commute mileage before the tune was ~22.5 MPG. Mileage after the tune is the same but during the hottest summer on record. In the next month or so, I should get a better picture. Inmotion does state that their tune cuts back on EGR function however, without an exhaust gas analyzer, I have no way to verify this.

-P3
p3busman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #49
p3busman

Oh, forgot to ask (sorry my Xoom wouldn't edit the post above), is there a GDE tune for BMW 335d?
p3busman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #50
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Smoke View Post
2007 was the phase in of the "Tier 2" emissions standards to light-duty passenger cars, including your Grand Cherokee CRD. What this means is DaimlerChrysler (at the time) had to prove to the EPA that the emissions emitted from the tailpipe did not exceed specific limits set forth in the "Bin" category of the vehicle for both the 50,000mile point as well as "end of life". The tailpipe emission most closely watch in the diesel world is the NOx, which is a direct result of the combustion temperatures. Rich combustion = lower NOx, but worse fuel economy. Conversely, lean combustion (ie more air for every one part of fuel) will give better fuel economy at the expense of higher NOx.

Jeep didn't do it this way from the factory because they weren't allowed to. Are you going to notice the higher NOx with an aftermarket calibration? - Absolutely not. I don't have emissions data for the GDE calibration, but I'm guessing it takes it back to 2003-type levels, which is still clean in my opinion. Write your congressman and ask him to push an agenda of fuel economy vs. emissions regulations. This has historically been the direction of the European "Euro" regs (which is why their cars get 40+ mpg)

The back pressure of the Jeep DPF is very low, with regeneration events only occurring every ≈750 miles. There's not a lot of fuel economy to gain here. In comparison, DPF regenerations on the Big 3 diesel trucks are more like every 60-200 miles, so there are bigger gains with delete kits on those vehicles.

My suggestion... go with the GDE calibration only, and enjoy the mileage gains and extra skinny pedal it gives you.
Thanks for the info! I'm leaning towards GDE because it just seems safest and there are no complaints.
Unread 10-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #51
Barney9304
2006 WK 

This is the most talked about tuning for the CRD WK on this forum, can we get it here in the UK?

If not what tune does the forum suggest in the UK?
Barney9304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #52
BAH101
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney9304
This is the most talked about tuning for the CRD WK on this forum, can we get it here in the UK? If not what tune does the forum suggest in the UK?
I believe Custom Spooling is in the UK, they have a tune also.
Unread 10-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #53
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

dont see why u couldnt get it in the UK..
Valpacer has it and he is in Austrailia
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #54
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Easiest way to find out would be to just give them a call and ask them! I agree though, you should be able to seeing as Valpacer has the tune.
Unread 10-21-2013, 02:40 AM   #55
Cherokee30D
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney9304 View Post
This is the most talked about tuning for the CRD WK on this forum, can we get it here in the UK?

If not what tune does the forum suggest in the UK?
Hi Barney9304,
I too are from down under and are able to obtain the GDE tune easy enough.
From the information I have gathered, go for the Eco tune. No need for the Hot tune.

Cheers, Craig
Cherokee30D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:08 AM   #56
james_2k
2009 WK 

ive just ordered mine. we dont have a dpf so its a double bonus.
james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #57
Barney9304
2006 WK 

I thought we had a dpf? Bonus if not, I suppose it too much to hope that we don't have a swirl motor as well
Barney9304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #58
james_2k
2009 WK 

we do not

but we do have swirl motors. (the gde tune disables it though!)

check your car out, this is a pic of mine,

this is where the dpf would be if we did have one.
james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #59
revitup

Stock Boost Pressure Question

I've got an 2008 with 111,000 klms and just got the bad news yesturday. So I'm thinking of going with the GDE Eco tune, and possibly with the gutted DPF.

Does anyone know what the max stock boost pressure is (PSI) and what is the max Eco tune PSI?

I used to be a real turbo/tuner/tech guy. Stock max boosts are about 7-9 psi next upgrade, 12-14 PSI and go up from there. I'm guessing if the performance of the Eco Tune is significant we are looking at a boost of 12-14PSI... which is still OK with no intercooler.
revitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #60
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Might want to check on that, the 3.0crd runs at 22psi......... and has an intercooler
2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Valpacer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.