Grand Cherokee vs. Commander - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Grand Cherokee vs. Commander

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
dakotajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Grand Cherokee vs. Commander

I understand that this is probably discussed alot but I am not a member anymore and searching is haphazard at best when not a member (good reason for me to renew).

I am looking for a 2006-2008 Jeep WK or XK.

What are the pros and cons of each?

It seems like the XK is lighter overall and has more interior room. Also, I can get the diesel in the XK but not sure if its worth th price.

Just looking for opinions. I am looking at 3.7's just because it wont be used for towing or heavy hauls.....thats why i have my pickup.

Any links to other such discussions would be great too!

Thanks
Thad

*SOLD* 1998 XJ 4.0, Modified Rock Lizard Homebrew lift (about 1.5 inches), 215/75 BFG AT's, Dynomax muffler, Firepower Ignition Kit w/Champion plugs, Sylvania headlamps (best bang for the buck)
dakotajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

What are you planning on using it for? Trail rig? Family?

I just picked up an XK this week... the WK was too small for what I wanted; 3rd row seats will come in handy when the kids outgrow their car seats.
Unread 06-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
dakotajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Good point. It will be mostly my wifes DD with the occasional cross country ventures with the dogs and a loaded cargo area.

Mostly I am leaning towards the XK for its size and the WK for style!

I would love the diesel but its also quite a bit more expensive. I am leaning towards the 3.7 just because it will mostly be in town or short highway runs.

Thad

*SOLD* 1998 XJ 4.0, Modified Rock Lizard Homebrew lift (about 1.5 inches), 215/75 BFG AT's, Dynomax muffler, Firepower Ignition Kit w/Champion plugs, Sylvania headlamps (best bang for the buck)
Unread 06-20-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
Chapman89
2011 JK Wrangler 

Commander. It's roomier and looks better!
Chapman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
bumzo1
2005 WK 

which one do you think looks better? Get that one because other than that they are the same.
bumzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Quote:
It seems like the XK is lighter overall and has more interior room. Also, I can get the diesel in the XK but not sure if its worth th price.
The XK is slightly longer, hence the third row seat, so I have my doubts that it's lighter than the WK. To get that third row in the XK they had to move the rear seat a bit forward so it lost a little leg room in the process.

I'm not aware of the diesel being offered in the XK in North America. The WK, yes, for a couple of years it had a 3.0 Mercedes oil burner.

All in all, I love my WK, but part of me thinks that I would have liked the XK more for it's better and more upright greenhouse and more storage space in the back.
Unread 06-21-2010, 05:57 AM   #7
dakotajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

WK yeah thats what meant with the diesel....miss typed! Yeah the Grand Cherokee is about 400-500 pounds heavier.....

Thad

Unread 06-21-2010, 06:25 AM   #8
BonesWK
2006 WK 

3.7 and the 4.7 have about the same mpgs. If you were wondering. Go with the v8, esp. if you are looking at the XK.
2006 Black WK Limited 4.7 4x4 QD II -- RR 2.25" Lift - JK Moabs - 32" Wildpeaks - Rear OME Shocks - AFE Stage 2 Intake - Saguaro 4x Front Shackles - 1-1/2" Wheel Spacers - Tail Light Guards - CB - 4' Firestik - Rola Roof Rack - Exhaust
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Chive On
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
dakotajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have thought about the 4.7 but just think I can justify the bigger engine for cruising around town mostly. The thing I was hoping for was to get somewhat descent mileage out of this thing. (Yeah I know the smaller engine has to work harder to produce the same power the bigger engine does, thus decreasing the mpg increase)

I wouldnt shy away from a 4.7 I just wasnt tlooking for one.

Thad

Unread 06-22-2010, 03:46 AM   #10
wrenchbendr
2005 WK 

i own both and love both, but interestingly enough the only thing i dont like about the xk is the fact that bugs will splatter the windshield at 10 times the rate to the wk. wife is constantly needing to clean them off to see in the summer. its amazing that just a little angle on the windscreen makes the difference between gliding over on the wk, or smashing on the xk. a little more room in the xk with the third row down for storage, a little more head room for the front passangers in the xk, same leg room for everyone in first and second row xk and wk. better be short people riding in third row if for extended times. both great vehicles once you get past the bugs!
wrenchbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 04:17 PM   #11
ROMEO69
2007 XK Commander 

Commander with the 4.7L and QT2
ROMEO69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #12
dsalinas
2006 WK 

After I got hit and lost my old grand cherokee, I was looking to buy a commander. I really liked the styling and the room inside. The price was just not right for me so I found me a wk with a hemi and QDII. Very happy with my WK
dsalinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #13
aliens8443
2008 WK 

The thing is that although there is a difference in the interior room between the WK and XK, the XK is a taller, but narrower vehicle than the WK. I had debated between the two also, but in all honesty, unless you're over 6 feet tall, you don't need the head room. And, if you need to carry a load in the cargo space, it's more likely that the item will be wider than it is taller. So, even though the WK has a smaller cargo area, I think it's dimension are easier to use than the tall and narrow XK.
aliens8443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #14
dakotajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Good point I really do not care to have a taller vehicle especially if that make sit slightly more top heavy......so many factors!!!

Thad

Unread 06-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #15
sal-XK
2007 XK Commander 

They both share the same drive line and a bunch of parts. So I think it comes down to personal taste. I love the look of the XK it fits my style especially after some mods it just looks like you can go anywhere with it. The 3.7 and 4.7 do not get the same mileage. The guys running a 3.7 are killing me in mileage and I'm running light footed AVG 13.9 MPG currently. Now the 5.7 Hemi is running close to the 4.7 most reporting around 12MPG. Narrow is good for the trails. It seems most trails I'm on have plenty of room for taller not wider. I don't feel top heavy with a lift and bigger tires I gained 4" but like I said I drive pretty slow. I also use every square inch of cargo space I have going on trips including filling my roof basket hitch basket and my rear cargo with the seats folded down I personally need the most space. Also the XH is not sold in america no diesel us. Oh I would skip the 2006 at least they had some issues they worked out after release.
sal-XK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.