Grand Cherokee CRD Start Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Grand Cherokee CRD Start Issue

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
Diesel25
2008 WK 

Grand Cherokee CRD Start Issue

Hi All,

My 2008 Grand Cherokee CRD is starting of have some issues starting in cold weather (< 30* F). When I turn the ignition the battery will continue to crank the engine but the engine doesn't seem to catch, every once in a while after letting it crank for a while it'll catch but it seems sporadic. In the past couple of months I've replaced the entire glowplug system (plugs, wires, & module) so I am sure that the glowplug system is in good working order. I've also replaced the air filter (thinking that there might be a clog but there wasn't).

The only other thing I can think to check is my battery, I've taken it to the local auto store to have them hook up to their testing machine but it showed the battery being in good condition. The guy that helped me out also said that I should test the charge when I get home and then after I let it sit for a while to see if it was losing charge (after sitting for ~12 hrs the Amperage had only dropped by .2). I'm not sure what the CCA's are on the stock CRD battery but does this sound like an issue of not having enough CCA's?

When I do have the ability to plug the block heater in it fires up every time on the first shot if that is helpful info.

Thanks for the help!

Diesel25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Taquache
2007 WK 

are you letting it "pre heat" the cylinder with the wait to start light?

try doing this a few times in a row before turning the key to bump the starter
Taquache is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
Tuco
2007 WK 

I assume you have checked codes and there are none. Sure seems like a glowplug issue, maybe there is a way to check each plug to be sure they are heating up.

Definitely need to hold the key in the glow plug position for a few seconds before starting, otherwise it will take a few rotations to get going.
Unread 03-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
jiggadog
2008 WK 

i have a similar problem and i've made a post about it. if the engine is slow cranking, it could be your battery. either way it's pretty easy to check if your battery is ok or not wiith a volt meter. let the jeep sit for a few hours and it should measure 12.4-12.6 volts not running. i would bet it has something to do with your fuel system from the tank to cylinder (low pressure pump, fuel quantity control solenoid, high pressure pump, fuel pressure control solenoid or a leaky injector in that order). if my jeep sits for more than 4 hours it has a prolonged crank. i turn my key twice and wait for most of the dash lights to go out before starting and it usually starts with no problems. its a PITA but i'm learning to live with it or least try to forget about it.

i had the low pressure pump replaced under warranty and replaced the fuel pressure control solenoid myself and neither fixed the issue.

i'd recommend just waiting longer before you start, but if you decide to get it looked at i'd be really interested to hear what, if anything, was done to address the hard start.
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
BAH101
2008 WK 

Check to see if the glow plug ground is attached. It is usually attached to one of the fuel filter attachment screws. It could have been left off, or broken.
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

I agree with jigadog, probably the battery.
For months I had the exactly same hard starting problem you described. Then about a month ago, in subzero weather it decided not to start at all.
My battery was toast, I noticed an immediate difference in how the entire jeep ran with a new battery.

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
Radcrd
2007 WK 

If battery is over 5 years old replace it. Have you replaced your fuel filter? If so make sure you are not getting any air leaks into fuel system. I doubt this is your problem however as you state it starts right up if plugged in.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
TonyVideo

2008 WK 

I would bet the glow plugs aren't working. Cold engine without glow plugs will be hard to start. Missing the ground next to the fuel filter is probably the issue. It is easy to forget.
1985 Jeep Larado 4.0L Sold
TonyVideo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
Diesel25
2008 WK 

Thanks everyone for the responses, I’ve gone back through the entire glowplug system and all of the wires are providing adequate amperage at ignition and all of the plugs are working as well. I have also replaced both the air and fuel filters (in the process of replacing the fuel filter I made sure to reconnect the glow plug ground). I have scanned the computer and it is not throwing any codes. The only thing I can think to check when I get home is the fuel lines to make sure that they are connected tight and not leaking (allowing air into the system). Other than that I think I’m going to bite the bullet and get the $220 battery. I’ll be headed up to the mountains this weekend so it’ll be a good time to test out the new battery, I’ll report back as to what I find.

Thanks again!
Diesel25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
Radcrd
2007 WK 

I went with the cheap Everstart Maxx H8 battery from Walmart for $117 CDN. And has been great so far. Only been 4 months however but started fine at almost 30 below not plugged.

More info here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/w...temps-1437118/
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
fishinbama
2007 WK 

By no means should you pay double for oem battery. It seems poor quality to me. I also have the everstart Maxx battery and it cost me about 100$ I think.
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

5 years on any battery is borrowed time. Mine died suddenly right near it's 5th birthday. Yours is due to renew.
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

Had the exact same issues after I had already replaced a few glow plugs and the control module. The new battery fixed it all, it wasn't dead and still works fine as I have it out in the garage. Something seems to happen to wk batteries as they age that the crd systems do not like. Can't really explain it, but this situation seems to be occurring more and more.

With a coupon code I think I paid around 140 for an agm battery from advance auto.
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #14
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I also found in my CRD is that the positive lead off the battery was severely corroded so between that and the stock battery not being up to par, I had starting issues as well. New cable and battery took care of it. Check that since you have already checked and dealt with your glow plug system.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #15
suzieque
2008 WK 

could be a flaky crank position sensor. though I would expect those to set a code.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.