JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Got REC, where's Sirius? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/got-rec-wheres-sirius-317781/)

smillieda 09-19-2006 08:50 PM

Got REC, where's Sirius?

Hi Guys -

I apologize if this has already been posted. As you know the search function is temporarily disabled.

I just bought an 05 5.7L Limited w/ Nav WK.

It has basically every option imaginable except Satelite Radio. Can anyone explain to me what I need to do to add this to my car? The dealers seem to not know anything about this car. Is it a software thing? Or do I need to add more hardware? It seems that if the car can recieve GPS signals from satelittes it should be able to recieve radio!

Thank you very much.

S2WOOOW 09-19-2006 09:32 PM

Is the nav/radio satellite ready? Is there a "SAT" tab that will cycle through when you push the MODE button?

I just got an 06 with the nav system and it included the satellite radio. A few weeks after getting the car, I got a letter from Sirius that had a phone number and an initialization code. A free one year subscription was included

If you bought the car used though, you may need to call Sirius or go to their website.

If the radio does not include the satellite radio receiver, then you're going to have to add one.

The GPS and satellite radio receivers are completely separate receivers. They may be built into the same Navigation/CD/Radio unit, but they are different systems.

That is how it worked for me in the US. I'm not sure if Canada is any different.

jthomaslambert 09-20-2006 12:59 PM

I was disappointed about this too (in Ottawa). Apparently the Canadian package doesn't come with the sat radio feature (it's bundled into the US package). I'm guessing that this is because sat radio just came to Canada this past summer and wasn't available when the model was released. I'm almost willing to bet the hardware is there, however, and just not activated.

JeepySteve 10-16-2006 07:14 PM

The Navigation radio does not automatically come with the REC radio. I found this out the hard way as well. The dealer has to install a module and an antenna kit. I called several dealers and have gotten prices from $400 - $650 to have this installed. That really ticks me off since you can buy a SAT radio kit from Sirrius or XM really cheap. However I would rather have it integrated with the existing radio. I do know the module and antenna kit cost $170, installation is another thing.

howelljeep 10-27-2006 02:35 PM

I hate canadian packages for limited....they always come in in a stripped down version of the US limited

cmd peej 10-28-2006 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepySteve
That really ticks me off since you can buy a SAT radio kit from Sirrius or XM really cheap. However I would rather have it integrated with the existing radio. I do know the module and antenna kit cost $170, installation is another thing.

From my BFIEF

cmd peej 10-28-2006 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepySteve
That really ticks me off since you can buy a SAT radio kit from Sirrius or XM really cheap. However I would rather have it integrated with the existing radio. I do know the module and antenna kit cost $170, installation is another thing.

From my BRIEF experience with a portable Sirrius radio, if Sirrius/XM is not factory installed, I DON'T want it. A couple of months ago, Sirrius had a special deal where the portable radio was basically free if I paid for a 6 month subscription at $5 a month. Sounded like a good deal to me as it would allow me to switch the radio between 3 cars we own plus rental units.

When the unit arrived, I excitedly unpacked it and hurried out to one of our cars to install it. First of all, it required an outside antenna which stuck on the roof with a built-in magnet. The cord from the antenna was about 15' long and would have to run into the car through a window or perhaps the door frame. Not a good system for car-to-car to say the least. Now I had the 15' cable plugged into the radio that stuck to the front windshield with a vacuum attachment. Then another power cord has to run to DC power port (cigarette lighter). Finally, I'm powered up and ready to tune the radio which then sends a signal to the vehicle FM radio for volume control and sound. The only problem is that it transmits on 88.1 UNLESS that frequency is being used by a local station. In my case, it was. If this is so, the next step to to select an alternate FM frequency that is not being used. After attempting to do this for about 15 minutes carefully following the instructions that came with the unit, I gave up. I then boxed the unit up and sent it back to the retail seller for return credit.

Even if I had be able to get the "alternate" frequency operation going, I could see down the road that I would have to go through the same messy procedure again if I happened into an area where the alternate frequency was being used. The whole operation is just TOO much trouble in order to get radio that costs by the month.

If Sirrus/XM ever come out with a portable with a built-in antenna and a bomb proof default FM frequency that can't be used anywhere else in the country, I'll reconsider getting another one. However, I doubt that a unit with a built-in antenna will be made in the foreseeable future since vehicles with factory installed units all have their antennas on the roof. My Commander has a factory unit that cuts in and out occasionally and certainly would be a lot worse if its antenna was inside the windshield.

In my opinion, NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME.
:brickwall

brandoncrone 10-28-2006 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmd peej

If Sirrus/XM ever come out with a portable with a built-in antenna and a bomb proof default FM frequency that can't be used anywhere else in the country, I'll reconsider getting another one. However, I doubt that a unit with a built-in antenna will be made in the foreseeable future since vehicles with factory installed units all have their antennas on the roof. My Commander has a factory unit that cuts in and out occasionally and certainly would be a lot worse if its antenna was inside the windshield.

In my opinion, NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME.
:brickwall

They both already have portable handheld units.

JeepySteve 10-30-2006 04:03 PM

I broke down, dropping the Jeep off tonight to have the factory satellite system installed tomorrow. $500 ouch!

YB Normyl 11-15-2006 09:25 AM

There are some Mopar sat kits on ebay with the parts you need for the mod. There's an extra connector on the back of the radio for sat, so you'ld need a wire harness from the radio to the back of the Jeep where the sat module would go, then your antenna wire to the sat receiver pod on the roof. The big labour charge would be to lift or remove carpet and panels to run all the wiring.

The time now is 09:40 AM.