Got my hands on a StarScan for a few days. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Got my hands on a StarScan for a few days.

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 01-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
nick81

Got my hands on a StarScan for a few days.

Has anyone made any progress with the idea of ripping the software off the unit and putting it on a laptop/desktop computer at all?

If so I would like to hear what has been tried, so I know what to try next. I would love to get this on my computer before I have to give it back.

nick81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
colinzj
2006 WK 

The StarScan software will only work on another StarScan unit.

It's not just an off-the-shelf computer in a fancy case running an application, so make the most of your time with it.
Unread 01-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
BAD68GTO
2006 WK 

Check what CPU the Starscan is running and that will tell you a lot. If you have no idea what i am talking about, you are not going to be able to do this IMHO....

Source: I am a computer nerd
2005 Viper, Vert, DLM SE #27/50, Paxton (w/intercooler) 946 RWHP
2000 Viper GTS, 10 LB Roe+GG heads/intake+Solid Roller, near 800 RWHP on pump gas+WM
1968 GTO 467 CID Fully Ported, Roller, 5-speed
2000 E350 Van with a ZILLION miles
2009 Votes thanks to ACORN
If a conservative is down-and-out, they think about how to better their situation.
A liberal wonders who is going to take care of them.
BAD68GTO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
nick81

I am also a computer nerd. Worked for IBM for 3 years doing system imaging. If you know what that is, you can see this might be possible.

From watching the thing boot, it looks like a normal computer. I was thinking if I could rip it to a VHD that would be sweet. Also, by default, it looks at the USB and the flash to boot off of. I am wondering if I could make a Bart PE disk, then rip an image off to a computer hard drive.

Or worst case, pop the sucker open and ghose the drive thats in there. I guess its a 512MB SSD Drive of some kind.
Unread 01-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
CmmdrDan

Who's scanner is this?
CmmdrDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
nick81

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmmdrDan View Post
Who's scanner is this?
That doesnt matter.

Anyway, its an AMD Alchemy AU1100 Processor with a 512MB Flash Drive.

After lookin a lil more, I dont know how well a program written for a RISC based processor will work on a standard processor thats in my PC. That part is over my head. I think though that anything written for RISC will work fine on a std proc, just not the other way around.
Unread 01-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
Brig_Rat
2005 WK 

This sounds like a pretty cool project to me (I guess I'm kinda of a nerd myself). From what I've seen the OS is linux based. I haven't found a windows emulator but I'd bet if you know linux you could get it running on a linux box with a little tweaking. The biggest hurdle will likely be ripping the code off the starscan. And of course you won't get any updates for it unless you can get an update disk. Keep us posted on this... has great potential.
Brig_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
BAD68GTO
2006 WK 

" I think though that anything written for RISC will work fine on a std proc" We sell a lot of RISC stuff and you can run some of it, but you have to run multiple instances of programs to slow the CPU down generally unless you are running a Pentium 75 Mhz or something slow, but again it all depends on so manhy variables..... Why not image the drive? it might be protecte, but use Encase or the like or Apricorn to image the drive despite most of it being hidden, my guess is it is going to have several partitions on the HDD, bit it a flash or soil state HDD to begin to play with. I'm a business guy but just own a small IT shop so not an expert and would rather spend my time doing anything but computer stuff-lol.
2005 Viper, Vert, DLM SE #27/50, Paxton (w/intercooler) 946 RWHP
2000 Viper GTS, 10 LB Roe+GG heads/intake+Solid Roller, near 800 RWHP on pump gas+WM
1968 GTO 467 CID Fully Ported, Roller, 5-speed
2000 E350 Van with a ZILLION miles
2009 Votes thanks to ACORN
If a conservative is down-and-out, they think about how to better their situation.
A liberal wonders who is going to take care of them.
BAD68GTO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

About 4-5 years ago, a guy (Magnumfreak) over on LXForums or Dodgetalk forum bought a StarScan and ended up successfully hacking it. For a while he was even renting out the StarScan for updates, mods. and add-ons (like daytime running lights). He eventually claimed he could modify most PCM/TCM settings. You can start here on your search: http://www.lxforums.com/board/search...archid=9758874. He called his system, Morpheus, so you can look a little further.

For your info., if you read some of the threads/posts and wonder if some are blowing smoke, "fnkychkn" is a certified Chrysler mechanic and was always very helpful in resolving our Hemi LX problems.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
nostaw22
1998 XJ Cherokee 

An AMD Alchemy AU1100 is a MIPS32 architecture... Won't run on any x86 PC, and you can't virtualize it easily because your standard PC based VM won't work. I'm not aware of any emulators for it which you can get your hands on easily either, and you need to know if there is any special HW in there (which there probably is) and if it would be supported.

It may run linux, but a disk image won't help you unless you've got a machine with the same architecture and similar/compatible HW to load the image on...

JW
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #11
nick81

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostaw22 View Post
An AMD Alchemy AU1100 is a MIPS32 architecture... Won't run on any x86 PC, and you can't virtualize it easily because your standard PC based VM won't work. I'm not aware of any emulators for it which you can get your hands on easily either, and you need to know if there is any special HW in there (which there probably is) and if it would be supported.

It may run linux, but a disk image won't help you unless you've got a machine with the same architecture and similar/compatible HW to load the image on...

JW
I think what I am going to do for now is at least rip an image off the thing. I will have the tool till monday or so when I have to give it back.

What about putting it on a pocket pc type of device? are there any of those that run on the mips32 stuff?
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #12
Acidcold
2005 WK 

Where are you located? LOL Or i should say. how far is that starscan from me!? lol
Acidcold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 07:25 AM   #13
nostaw22
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick81 View Post
What about putting it on a pocket pc type of device? are there any of those that run on the mips32 stuff?
None that I'm aware of. MIPS32 isn't commonly used in consumer electronics... Most consumer stuff tends to be some flavor of ARM processor these days.

JW
Unread 01-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #14
BlackedOutWK
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidcold View Post
Where are you located? LOL Or i should say. how far is that starscan from me!? lol
haha my thoughts exactly!
Unread 08-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #15
dodge094x4

I know it's an old post, but any updates on the hack? Got an ancient mobile pc thats dead now but was running mips32, Not sure if it could be revived...
dodge094x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.