Goodyear Wrangler HP tires on GC? Something better? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Goodyear Wrangler HP tires on GC? Something better?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-04-2007, 09:33 AM   #1
dotspace

Goodyear Wrangler HP tires on GC? Something better?

We've got a 2005 GC Laredo with just over 36K miles. I've been told by a dealership that the stock Goodyear Wrangler HP tires need replacing soon. [We got over 60K on the stock tires on our last 2002 GC Limited, but they had Michelin's LTX AT's.] We replaced the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires on our '99 Cherokee Sport at 50K. Been very happy with both sets. But we replaced the tires on the '99 in 2005, after six years of driving. We've only had the '05 GC for about a year and a half. : (

The online customer feedback and reviews are not particularly good on the HP's.

Any suggestions for something else when I go shopping for new tires?

Also, would it be less expensive if I order a new set of tires online, and then took them to a shop to have them put on?

Thx,

Dan

Last edited by dotspace; 02-04-2007 at 10:08 AM..
dotspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

The tires you go with should depend on what type of driving you do and what type of weather & road conditions you have to deal with. My priorities for tires may be very different from yours, and someone else's priorities may be very different than mine.

I HATED the stock Goodyear Eagle LS tires, so I looked on tirerack at customer reviews and their charts on traction, treadwear, noise, etc. The stock tires were great on dry pavement, but gave up the minute that there was ANY moisture on the road at all. And snow traction was miserable...I had to abandon the Jeep on the sidewalk last winter because I couldn't make it through a tiny bit of snow near my house. It was so bad that I replaced the stock tires at about the 8500 mile mark...they were that bad.

I got a set of Goodyear Fortera SilentArmor tires. Rated just as good or better than the comparable Michelins, but at a lower price. I love them. The stock tires would give up and slide if there were the slightest hint of moisture on the ground...the Fortera SilentArmors have made this winter very easy...the grip in less-than-ideal traction situations is great. Yeah, I gave up a bit of dry-road handling, but I didn't buy the Jeep to be able to carve up canyon roads in perfect weather. The tradeoff was that this winter I had good traction regardless of conditions...dry, rain, snow, ice...it was all good with the new tires.

I highly recommend going to tirerack.com and checking out the customer ratings of tires. Again...different people have different priorities for tires, and the ratings may reflect those differing priorities, but at least it's a place to start.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
dotspace

Thanks, soldierguy. We live in South Carolina right by the beach. Mostly highway driving in the '05 GC. Never offroad. We use the '99 Sport for that. Just need a high-quality all-weather road tire.

Was very happy with the performance and 60K life of the Michelin LTX AT tires we had on our previous '02 GC.

I'll pop over to tirerack.com.

Last edited by dotspace; 02-04-2007 at 10:09 AM..
dotspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
garsarno

Just did research on replacement tires for the '07 Grand Cherokee (bored before Super Bowl) - found that the Goodyear Triple Tread tire, size P245/65R-17 is rated at 600 tread life. Had a set on my Lincoln LS and at 5,000 miles on the tires, no wear evident and I believe they would have gone 50,000 miles but I traded the car in on a 2007 Impala SS. Info at www.tirerack.com
garsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2007, 12:00 PM   #5
JerseyGeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy
The tires you go with should depend on what type of driving you do and what type of weather & road conditions you have to deal with. My priorities for tires may be very different from yours, and someone else's priorities may be very different than mine.

I HATED the stock Goodyear Eagle LS tires, so I looked on tirerack at customer reviews and their charts on traction, treadwear, noise, etc. The stock tires were great on dry pavement, but gave up the minute that there was ANY moisture on the road at all. And snow traction was miserable...I had to abandon the Jeep on the sidewalk last winter because I couldn't make it through a tiny bit of snow near my house. It was so bad that I replaced the stock tires at about the 8500 mile mark...they were that bad.

I got a set of Goodyear Fortera SilentArmor tires. Rated just as good or better than the comparable Michelins, but at a lower price. I love them. The stock tires would give up and slide if there were the slightest hint of moisture on the ground...the Fortera SilentArmors have made this winter very easy...the grip in less-than-ideal traction situations is great. Yeah, I gave up a bit of dry-road handling, but I didn't buy the Jeep to be able to carve up canyon roads in perfect weather. The tradeoff was that this winter I had good traction regardless of conditions...dry, rain, snow, ice...it was all good with the new tires.

I highly recommend going to tirerack.com and checking out the customer ratings of tires. Again...different people have different priorities for tires, and the ratings may reflect those differing priorities, but at least it's a place to start.

I just replaced mt Fortera's! Could not get them to balance....pulled hard to the right.....felt like I was riding on a balance beam.....GO FIGURE????

I replaced with Firestone Destination AT's......now it rides perfect.
JerseyGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2007, 04:51 PM   #6
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGeorge
I just replaced mt Fortera's! Could not get them to balance....pulled hard to the right.....felt like I was riding on a balance beam.....GO FIGURE????

I replaced with Firestone Destination AT's......now it rides perfect.
That's too bad. I really like mine...mine balance and track perfectly. I've had problems before with my old Dakota getting tires to balance, but they were larger tires (32 inch mud tires). The Forteras work great for me.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #7
06overland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotspace
We've got a 2005 GC Laredo with just over 36K miles. I've been told by a dealership that the stock Goodyear Wrangler HP tires need replacing soon. [We got over 60K on the stock tires on our last 2002 GC Limited, but they had Michelin's LTX AT's.] We replaced the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires on our '99 Cherokee Sport at 50K. Been very happy with both sets. But we replaced the tires on the '99 in 2005, after six years of driving. We've only had the '05 GC for about a year and a half. : (

The online customer feedback and reviews are not particularly good on the HP's.

Any suggestions for something else when I go shopping for new tires?

Also, would it be less expensive if I order a new set of tires online, and then took them to a shop to have them put on?

Thx,

Dan
I use to have a 2005 Laredo 4x4 with the stock HP's and at 28000 they were shot, the dealer told me that if I didn't rotate the tires every other oil change that the tires would be shot. So I did a bunch of research before I replaced my tires and found that recommended by other drivers were the Yokohama Geolander's they were highly recommended from customers off of Tire Rack and at 109.00 each was a good deal. I got the tires because I was going on a trip to Colorado, just so happened that I went during the worst snowstorm of the season, and the roads were icy, I did loose control around a corner and wrecked the Jeep. I don't really blame the tires as much as I do the ice but it was something I wanted to mention incase you live in an area like Colorado that gets snow and ice, so you might rethink the Geollanders if you live in an area like that.
06overland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2007, 02:37 PM   #8
cmotsvt

I got about 26k out of my goodyears. Ive got nothing nice to say about them.
cmotsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2007, 02:45 PM   #9
jcool1985

The michelin cross terrains are very good and get great tread life I have them on my 2001 WJ. I also have heard the goodyear fortera silent armors and bridgestone dueler alezenas are good also. But do check out tiretack.com
jcool1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2007, 03:58 AM   #10
array

see the reviews at www.tirerack.com and then you ll see.
imo the wrangler hp can be just good as they are new, but they worn really fast.
as a winter tires, do not try - really bad.

see the tires comparisons at above mentioned http.
www.cardomain.com/id/array
array is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #11
cliff

I just put on a set of Cooper ATR's on my 05 GC. So far great on the highway. And should do nicely off road.

I wanted the Goodrich AT ko but they did not offer the stock size for my GC.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 07:01 PM   #12
HurriJeff
2005 WK 

I bought an 05 GC limited with 18K miles and the Goodyears were pretty much shot. I'm really particular about tread depth and I probably replace tires 5K early. I bought my second set of Bridgestone Dualer At Revos 265/65/17 and I love them. They are smooth and quiet and ride great at about 32 PSI. I put about 30K on my last set and they had plenty left.. more than half in my opinion. They got slightly more noisey at 30K than new but still pretty quiet. This is the tire for my Jeep !
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2007, 03:03 PM   #13
jbones1

I agree, I love my 245/70 R17 Revos.
jbones1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #14
jeepjeepster

I have the HP's on my liberty and I hate them. Like soldierguy said, if the road is wet any amount at all, they slide all over the place. Tires lock up under normal breaking and Ive actually spun out in a intersection(locker did help there). I now have two sets of tires, one for offroad and one for on. I have the Yokohama Geolander A/T-S for my offroad rims and still have the stock HP's for the onroad rims. When ever I get some extra money, Im going to get the Yokohama Geolander H/T-S G051's. They get very good ratings on tirerack and Ive always been a fan of yokohama. Im fairly sure they are the same tires that 06overland was talking about... But they ARE highway tires, it says they are good for LIGHT snow...Not heavy/ice. For $109, they cannot be beat.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2007, 05:41 PM   #15
SAB30

Interesting. I do a lot of driving, about 50,000k a year. A lot of highway, but also a fair amount of off-road. I was actually surprised that I never got stuck with the HP's. The HP's worked well for me on the highway, I rotated them every 6,000 miles and never had any problems. That said, I have 20,000K on them and am looking for something a little more agressive off road. Guess I am not really adding much here. I don't worry about tire handling in the snow. I learned a long time ago and buy a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks snow tires for every vehicle I own.
SAB30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.