A "good-to-meet-ya" and build thread in one - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > A "good-to-meet-ya" and build thread in one

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
dbozman
2010 WK 

A "good-to-meet-ya" and build thread in one

Howdy, all. I actually joined this site years ago during some other period of Jeep ownership.

I'm in Scottsdale, AZ, and have been a long-time Jeep owner, from street rigs to trailered rock crawlers. I've owned: a YJ, CJ5, CJ7, two TJs, an XJ, a WJ and a JK.

Couple weeks ago, I decided I wanted to lower my car payments, as I actually have a work vehicle I drive during the week. Traded my '13 Ram 1500 in for a 2010 WK Laredo 3.7 4x4 with 60k on the clock.

This is what it looked like when I brought it home.

Two weeks in and I've done the following mods:

-- Curt trailer hitch for my bike rack (I traded in rock crawling for a hobby almost as expensive and much more physically difficult: mountain biking).

-- Plasti-dipped the side rails and "4x4" emblem on rear. Debadged the rest of the truck.

-- 1-inch wheel spacers

-- RT Off-road spacer lift. This is put out by Crown Automotive and was purchased through Kolak (I'm a local and also got my WJ lift from him a few years ago). Not much info out there, but it appears to be identical to the Rough Country kit.

-- Painted stock wheels

-- Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx tires in 255/75r17

-- Got it aligned after lift/tire install.

Here's how it looks today:

Overall, I'm quite pleased.

The lift install was a little involved, but not bad. I've done dozens of lift installs from spring kits to spring-overs to Bilstein struts to regular spacers. As spacer lifts go, it was a bit of a pain, but nothing went really awry. Mostly just a tight area to work in. The lower control arm and steering knuckle doesn't really fall away as much as you'd expect, so getting the strut with a spacer on top back in is a challenge. I brought home some external strut compressors just in case and I did need them.

I like tall/skinny tires and I think the 255s fill up the wheel wells nicely without looking too stuffed. I'm a big fan of the Goodyear Duratrac, but it's not available in that size. Thought I'd give the Coopers a try.

Again, seems like a good choice. Pretty aggressive tire, a little heavier than I would've liked, but they balanced well and drive smooth.

Anyway, this place seems like a good resource and I'm happy to be here.

dbozman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
audiophonicz
2007 WK 

I do like how you painted the front end. White WKs can look so good if cared for. Welcome to the forums.
audiophonicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
xjokee
1998 XJ Cherokee 

That's a sharp looking truck. I like Cooper's too. Nice choice.
Unread 03-31-2014, 04:14 AM   #4
caulk04
2008 WK 

More pics of the front end...

I bet it looks mean, but wouldn't fit the look of my white 08.
Unread 03-31-2014, 11:40 PM   #5
AnthonyRWK
2010 WK 

I almost went with a white WK(ended up with black), yours is looking good so far. I have the same rims you do, I was going to replace them with something new instead of painting them but after seeing yours I think ill end up painting mine and seeing how I like it for now. Would love to see a pic from the front too.
AnthonyRWK is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.