Going to look at a jeep. School me please - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Going to look at a jeep. School me please

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #16
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Chuckerants, no dyno sheets. I wouldn't waste the money on dyno runs on a daily driver. I'd rather spend the money on mods. and do my testing at the dragstrip. There are plenty of dyno sheets over on the LX forums showing the improvements using my exact setups. Also, there are articles in MOPAR Muscle Magazine that show the Hemi with a stock rotating assembly is easily capable of over 500 crankshaft horsepower with the correct camshaft, exhaust and heads. From stock, my WK is a little over a full second quicker than it was stock. The old rule of thumb has always been, 10 horsepower increase equals one tenth of a second off the ET. The biggest choke points on the Hemi are the very restrictive exhaust logs and the relatively conservative cam specifications. My goals for both my Hemi vehicles (LX and WK) have never been maximum horsepower, but they have been, and are, to moderately increase the power and increase the fuel economy. Both my vehicles are modded almost exactly the same, and I think I have succeeded, as the WK routinely gets over 20 mpg highway (usually 21-22), with a high of 24.2 mpg. The LX routinely gets over 27 mpg, (usually ~28 mpg), with a high of 30.1 mpg. Almost all (~95%) of my driving is at altitudes of 2500-5000 ft., so they would probably be a little better at lower altitudes.

I've addressed the problems with the cam and exhaust, but the cylinder heads are actually quite efficient. That's why I haven't messed with mine, and won't unless I have to tear into the engine for some other reason. A good set of heads (~$2000) with slightly bigger valves (1/16 in.) and a port job will only net about 30 rwhp. IMO, not worth it. My mods, a little at a time over almost 4 years have cost me about $4000 but, IMO, are worth every penny, especially since I usually keep my vehicles forever. Here's a couple threads on the 5.7 exhaust system, and how to fix it. IMO, it is a must to get rid of the stock logs.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/h...-hemi-1161475/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/b...-7-wk-1174042/

Right now I am doing a couple tests....one comparing in town and highway fuel economy with the stock shift schedule vs. my custom tuned (for my engine [cam]) shift schedules which maximizes MDS activation time, and delays upshifts; the other is comparing in town fuel economy vs. my shift schedules, using nothing but the Tow/Haul mode, which locks the converter, deactivates the MDS, and limits upshifts to no higher than 4th gear. So far, it's not looking good for either of the stock setups.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #17
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Running a vehicle and using your time to measure performance leaves a lot of variable factors. For example driver reaction time.

Dyno is vehicle performance only in a controlled atmosphere and they don't cost that much.

Op: Look at door panels, door handle cups. They have issues.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #18
gamble
1997 ZJ 

Will do thanks.
One is local and has 130k miles for around $8k, but its silver and i hate silver. Found a white one at carmax with 75k miles and it sold the day they put the pictures up. So I'll keep waiting until one comes my way. Did they ever make these with black/grey or any darker interior?
Unread 07-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #19
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamble View Post
Will do thanks.
One is local and has 130k miles for around $8k, but its silver and i hate silver. Found a white one at carmax with 75k miles and it sold the day they put the pictures up. So I'll keep waiting until one comes my way. Did they ever make these with black/grey or any darker interior?
Gray, red, blue, tan, spice(baby poop).
Unread 07-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #20
rsurran
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My 05 WK 5.7L is the best vehicle I've ever owned. It is my 5th Jeep and my 3rd GC. I drive it everyday, it does everything I ask it to do and it growls when I want it to. I never have to leave it home due to weather and it looks good anywhere it goes. It also gets about 15-17mpg but nobody should be buying a Jeep for the mileage. It has everything I wanted up to and including VES and NAV. I paid $14k for it last year. Everybody has a yearning for the next best thing. My only issue now is that my 05 won't last forever. For 14k I couldn't ask for anymore. Good luck.

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
rsurran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #21
HEMI35
2007 WK 

I have a 07 WK limited with 5.7L hemi, and I love it. Of course, permanent 4x4 and that beast of an engine is not cheap on gas, so keep that in mind. Overlands come with everything: 5.7L hemi engine, real skin seats, 18 inch wheels (limiteds come with 17, BUT that does not mean it will be 1 inch taller, that depends on the tires!), different inside wood pattern, and instead of chrome, they have platinum accents which looks a little bit better). WK comes in the trims Laredo, Limited and Overland (laredos do not have 5.7), limited can have 3.0, 3.7 (I think, but Iīm not sure), 4.7, and 5.7 hemi engines. The engine in an overland is the same from the limited (same year I mean). I didnīt buy an overland, because at that time, my wife didnīt like that brown color of the seats, and didnīt like too much wood and the color, we liked the platinum outside trim, though (I wouldnīt had matter anyways, because I changed the seats, steering wheel, shift know, and parking lever, and soon get rid of the wood of mine hehe).
If you need more power, you can buy a cold air intake, throttle body, throttle body spacer, competition cam, exhaust manifolds, and an exhaust system, that will not only give you a lot of HP more, but increase the maximum torque and hp to higher revolutions (you need lower revs for off-roading, higher for running, or that is what I understood).
Anyways, check some important things for a 5.7 limited or a 5.7 overland:
- it has to start right away, with a beastly engine sound, if the start is lazy, then VERY soon you will have to change the starter (or remanufacture the brushes on it), or change the battery (I had to do both on mine)
- go for a ride, take it to some bumps or go on top of a bump, and and check that the suspension does not make noises inside the car, if it does, something is loose (seats, console, etc), if it makes outside the car, then probably the suspension is wearing out and you will have to change something eventually.
- go down of it with a flash light and check that it does not have corrosion damage
- and check the line of the car to see if it has have any hit damage (that can always be noticed, something that does not quite seems in line, like doors, door space, back door space, hood, and hood space lines) in any car you can realize this and it is very easy to check once someone tells you to.
Also, check that the 2009 model has a mayor engine update, increasing hp by 20, and the interior trim is a little bit different, 2010 was the last wk model (before the wk2). You can read a lot more about the versions on wikipedia (search grand cherokee).
Hell of a car btw, I wouldnīt change mine for anything (maybe a 2010 europe version wh hemi or a wk2 hemi hehe).
Good luck!
Unread 07-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #22
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI35
WK comes in the trims Laredo, Limited and Overland (laredos do not have 5.7),
5.7l was a option on laredo's
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:51 AM   #23
HEMI35
2007 WK 

oh, sorry, I didnīt know HEMI engine was an option for laredos.

Also, check this sticky (even I missed it!!):
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/b...-read-1458434/
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #24
gamble
1997 ZJ 

So what's the difference between the larado and the limited if you can get a hemi in both?

What about a 3.7L Liberty Renegade? I know it's going backwards, but how roomy are they? Would it be comfortable to drive 2 kids in the back in car seats and someone in the front and have plenty of room to not be all squished together? I'm coming to the realization that nobody has a JGC 5.7L anywhere near me and it may be out of reach. So I'm looking into other options.
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #25
WieSeL

Trim package including chrome trim, leather, nav and DVD as an option, park assist, etc. Don't know if the 5.7 Laredo has quadradrive 2 but know the limited does.

The liberty is pretty roomy and has more head room than the GC. Not a fan of the 3.7 though.
WieSeL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #26
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

QDII was a option with the Laredo 5.7l, good luck finding one.

http://www.jeep.com/en/pdf/2010_grand_cherokee.pdf

FYI, Google the model year GC brochure you want info on.

Found this video of a new Laredo when I was looking.

Unread 07-31-2013, 11:21 PM   #27
HEMI35
2007 WK 

liberty? my dad has one, and is stiff as hell (even when he bought it in 2011), very hard ride, moves all over, not even close to the grand cherokee smooth ride...
the laredo from 2008-2010 can have the option of a 5.7 from what I read, but ...is that much the price difference with a limited?
Unread 07-31-2013, 11:26 PM   #28
gamble
1997 ZJ 

The liberty wasn't going to work. I had the seat all the way back and I still didn't have enough room I feel. And I'm only 5'7".
Had white leather that felt nasty and dirty. Didn't know those had white leather, it was pretty ugly. So keep on looking...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.