Going to look at a jeep. School me please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Going to look at a jeep. School me please

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 07-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
gamble
1997 ZJ 

Going to look at a jeep. School me please

Always had a thing for jeeps and my dad and brothers have owned wranglers, sports and grand cherokees. My dad even has the 5.9 limited made in 97.
I want to look at a 05+ with a 5.9L. I don't want to go near a v6 and I don't think the smaller v8 will do anything for me.
So I noticed that the 05 came with a 5.7L limited and the 06 was a 5.7L overland. Are they basically the same thing?
What year did they come with the smart key?

I found a 05 5.7L limited with 110k miles for around 11k. What types of things do I need to look out for when looking at these? How well does the hemi respond to mods? Looking for a daily driver with a little growl and go to it.
Are the motors reliable?

And I've read the handling is pretty bad. Is it really that bad? Does everyone upgrade or just buy srt8 suspension? Not looking to lift it at all.

Any help is appreciated.

Unread 07-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamble View Post
Always had a thing for jeeps and my dad and brothers have owned wranglers, sports and grand cherokees. My dad even has the 5.9 limited made in 97.
I want to look at a 05+ with a 5.9L. I don't want to go near a v6 and I don't think the smaller v8 will do anything for me.
So I noticed that the 05 came with a 5.7L limited and the 06 was a 5.7L overland. Are they basically the same thing?
What year did they come with the smart key?

I found a 05 5.7L limited with 110k miles for around 11k. What types of things do I need to look out for when looking at these? How well does the hemi respond to mods? Looking for a daily driver with a little growl and go to it.
Are the motors reliable?

And I've read the handling is pretty bad. Is it really that bad? Does everyone upgrade or just buy srt8 suspension? Not looking to lift it at all.

Any help is appreciated.
I think the overland edition will have a 1" lift if that helps you decide
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
gamble
1997 ZJ 

The overland seems to be a lot more expensive. Oh well.
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

It may also be the one with the most bells and whistles, like a d44 rearend.
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
gamble
1997 ZJ 

There are none for sale locally. I don't need all the crazy toys and don't go off roading. So that isn't a huge deal to me.
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Are you a lead foot? A smaller axle will get you better mpg, OR, a d44 may keep you from replacing the axle, depending on how you drive. I may be wrong too, perhaps all the 5.7's and 5.9's have a D44 for that reason.
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
Are you a lead foot? A smaller axle will get you better mpg, OR, a d44 may keep you from replacing the axle, depending on how you drive. I may be wrong too, perhaps all the 5.7's and 5.9's have a D44 for that reason.
The wk doesn't have a Dana 44.
WieSeL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

On another issue, I just bought a '98 ZJ with 70k on the ticker, BUT, all the bushings are still 15 years old and it rides like crap, nothing is tight, and it is down right deadly if you hit a pool of water at 40+mph.
Drive them to see if the rig feels like a bobble head. And no, new shocks didn't fix this. Another fella had just priced out bushings for the control arms, $93 per arm. WJ has 8.
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

This could go on forever, but here's a few things you should know. The Overland has every option available (except VES which was optional), whereas the Limited ones may vary in accessories, depending on how it was ordered. It can be equipped exactly like the Overland, but won't have the front tow hooks, Overland seats, and a few other minor cosmetic items.

The Overland comes with the 5.7 Hemi, whereas the Limited could have a 4.7. The 5.7's are easy to mod. (see my signature), and respond well, as long as you get rid of the stock exhaust manifold logs. Do a search. If you get a 5.7, you can do a search and find everything you'd ever want to know about modding them. On mine, without major engine teardown, I am up about 100 rwhp over the stock version. Some stuff ain't cheap though. If taken care of (maintenance done in a timely manner), they are very reliable. There are a few that have had valve seat issues, MDS lifter issues, and stalling issues, some of which can be attributed to poor maintenance, and others that are manufacturing related.

As when purchasing any "new to you" vehicle, you should check everything out with a fine tooth comb, paying particular attention to everything in the drivetrain and suspension......engine, transmission, transfer case, both differentials, driveshafts, brakes, tire wear patterns, steering. Also, make sure all the accessories, windows, mirrors, Nav/Radio Unit, etc. all work properly and there is a map disc in the unit. Also, make sure (if it's and REC unit) that the programming "joystick" works in all 8 directions.
Pay particular attention to the transmission shifting (slipping/harshness), drive/reverse, reverse/drive transitions, correct fluid level (and not burnt or black), etc.

As far as handling goes, just get SRT springs,sway bars and Bilstein shocks/struts and it'll be great. I did this on mine, with SRT lowering springs, and it handles like it's on rails. IMO, these things are really neat.....if you take care of the maintenance in a timely manner and stay ahead of any problems that may appear. If it's your daily driver, you'll know how it should work and immediately pick up on anything that is not working as it should. Good luck, and hope you find a good one.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
WieSeL

Limited don't have front tow hooks? Mine has them
Unread 07-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #11
lafacej
2004 WJ 

Front tow hooks are standard on the overlands I think is what he means but optional on the limited. My limited has them as well, and every other option available except for NAV
lafacej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Mine is a 4.0 Laredo, aside from looking like the top of the line, the only thing I can brag about is the mpg.
Unread 07-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafacej View Post
Front tow hooks are standard on the overlands I think is what he means but optional on the limited. My limited has them as well, and every other option available except for NAV
Oh gotcha

Yeah mine is without the backup camera and the side airbags
Unread 07-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #14
chuckerants

The 5.7l is around 3xx HP stock? So you are up 100 rwhp, or 30% WITHOUT forced induction or engine work? Do you have a before/after dyno or is this a seat of the pants impression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
This could go on forever, but here's a few things you should know. The Overland has every option available (except VES which was optional), whereas the Limited ones may vary in accessories, depending on how it was ordered. It can be equipped exactly like the Overland, but won't have the front tow hooks, Overland seats, and a few other minor cosmetic items.

The Overland comes with the 5.7 Hemi, whereas the Limited could have a 4.7. The 5.7's are easy to mod. (see my signature), and respond well, as long as you get rid of the stock exhaust manifold logs. Do a search. If you get a 5.7, you can do a search and find everything you'd ever want to know about modding them. On mine, without major engine teardown, I am up about 100 rwhp over the stock version. Some stuff ain't cheap though. If taken care of (maintenance done in a timely manner), they are very reliable. There are a few that have had valve seat issues, MDS lifter issues, and stalling issues, some of which can be attributed to poor maintenance, and others that are manufacturing related.

As when purchasing any "new to you" vehicle, you should check everything out with a fine tooth comb, paying particular attention to everything in the drivetrain and suspension......engine, transmission, transfer case, both differentials, driveshafts, brakes, tire wear patterns, steering. Also, make sure all the accessories, windows, mirrors, Nav/Radio Unit, etc. all work properly and there is a map disc in the unit. Also, make sure (if it's and REC unit) that the programming "joystick" works in all 8 directions.
Pay particular attention to the transmission shifting (slipping/harshness), drive/reverse, reverse/drive transitions, correct fluid level (and not burnt or black), etc.

As far as handling goes, just get SRT springs,sway bars and Bilstein shocks/struts and it'll be great. I did this on mine, with SRT lowering springs, and it handles like it's on rails. IMO, these things are really neat.....if you take care of the maintenance in a timely manner and stay ahead of any problems that may appear. If it's your daily driver, you'll know how it should work and immediately pick up on anything that is not working as it should. Good luck, and hope you find a good one.
chuckerants is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #15
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckerants View Post
The 5.7l is around 3xx HP stock? So you are up 100 rwhp, or 30% WITHOUT forced induction or engine work? Do you have a before/after dyno or is this a seat of the pants impression?
They are 330 hp
I think he has valvetrain mods (cam etc.) which really open the hemi up, and the flow to match. I think on horsepower TV they got 50 HP from a cam swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.