post #1 of Old 08-08-2013, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Ditchd
Registered User
2009 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Billingham
Posts: 81
Going hi tech

I don't mind laying on my back for oil changes but I'm now thinking of going all hi tech and getting some kind of extraction / syphon pump to get the oil out.

Does anyone use one on their WK CRD or is out via the sump plug still the best and easiest ?

Ps is the sump plug on these one that has a washer that needs changing each time ?

Ditchd is offline  
post #2 of Old 10-03-2013, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Ditchd
Registered User
2009 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Billingham
Posts: 81
Bump
Ditchd is offline  
post #3 of Old 10-03-2013, 04:10 AM
caulk04
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Greenville
Posts: 2,142
Hi tech? No, a pump isn't hi tech.

To me, it's just lazy. Who's to say you'll get the pump all the way in the bottom and actually get all the oil? When else will you get underneath it and have a look around to find other problems?

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
caulk04 is online now  
post #4 of Old 10-03-2013, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Ditchd
Registered User
2009 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Billingham
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
Hi tech? No, a pump isn't hi tech.

To me, it's just lazy. Who's to say you'll get the pump all the way in the bottom and actually get all the oil? When else will you get underneath it and have a look around to find other problems?
Wouldn't disagree and hitech was very very tongue in cheek . I regularly inspect under the car so no probs and of course you know better than into a tray once you got all the oil out because you put it straight into an old 5 litre tub so your effectively measuring with no spill, or at least that's how I've seen it done.

The WKs can be very messy doing the change on the drive but I've no direct experience of any alternative , if indeed one exists
Ditchd is offline  
post #5 of Old 10-03-2013, 06:17 AM
Zlartibartfast
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Menchaca
Posts: 580
I just installed a Fumoto drain valve - the model with the nipple you can attach a tube to. It's low-tech & efficient. I'm too lazy to use a wrench.....
Zlartibartfast is offline  
post #6 of Old 10-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Red_liner740
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tottenham
Posts: 360
Same here...unfortunately i had to do the first oil change the old fashioned style of opening the drain plug....

good god thats a lot of nasty black oil! the pressure is so great that stream is horizontal to the ground when it first comes out...

Lets just say that if i wasnt sold on the Fumoto valve before, i was after that first oil change. No way in hell would i want to remove the plug again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlartibartfast View Post
I just installed a Fumoto drain valve - the model with the nipple you can attach a tube to. It's low-tech & efficient. I'm too lazy to use a wrench.....
Red_liner740 is offline  
post #7 of Old 10-03-2013, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Ditchd
Registered User
2009 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Billingham
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_liner740 View Post
Same here...unfortunately i had to do the first oil change the old fashioned style of opening the drain plug....

good god thats a lot of nasty black oil! the pressure is so great that stream is horizontal to the ground when it first comes out...

Lets just say that if i wasnt sold on the Fumoto valve before, i was after that first oil change. No way in hell would i want to remove the plug again...
Agree totally. I tend to be pretty careful and clean working but as you say that horizontal stream that goes everywhere lol
Ditchd is offline  
post #8 of Old 10-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Mainsail
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 781
I made this set-up out of a vacuum pump I got off the State auction and some old medical suction jars. I've used it to pull ATF out through the dipstick tube before pulling the pan (much less mess) and for sucking the diff fluid out of the front diff.

I wouldn't use it for oil just because it can't get the crud layer off the bottom of the oil pan. Draining is best for that.



Poor grammar is something up with which I shall not put.
Mainsail is offline  
post #9 of Old 10-03-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Ditchd
Registered User
2009 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Billingham
Posts: 81
Excellent bit of kit. You've set the design side of my brain into action lol
Ditchd is offline  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome