Going hi tech - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Going hi tech

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Ditchd
2009 WK 

Going hi tech

I don't mind laying on my back for oil changes but I'm now thinking of going all hi tech and getting some kind of extraction / syphon pump to get the oil out.

Does anyone use one on their WK CRD or is out via the sump plug still the best and easiest ?

Ps is the sump plug on these one that has a washer that needs changing each time ?

Ditchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 04:06 AM   #2
Ditchd
2009 WK 

Bump
Unread 10-03-2013, 04:10 AM   #3
caulk04
2008 WK 

Hi tech? No, a pump isn't hi tech.

To me, it's just lazy. Who's to say you'll get the pump all the way in the bottom and actually get all the oil? When else will you get underneath it and have a look around to find other problems?
Unread 10-03-2013, 04:15 AM   #4
Ditchd
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
Hi tech? No, a pump isn't hi tech.

To me, it's just lazy. Who's to say you'll get the pump all the way in the bottom and actually get all the oil? When else will you get underneath it and have a look around to find other problems?
Wouldn't disagree and hitech was very very tongue in cheek . I regularly inspect under the car so no probs and of course you know better than into a tray once you got all the oil out because you put it straight into an old 5 litre tub so your effectively measuring with no spill, or at least that's how I've seen it done.

The WKs can be very messy doing the change on the drive but I've no direct experience of any alternative , if indeed one exists
Unread 10-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

I just installed a Fumoto drain valve - the model with the nipple you can attach a tube to. It's low-tech & efficient. I'm too lazy to use a wrench.....
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
Red_liner740

Same here...unfortunately i had to do the first oil change the old fashioned style of opening the drain plug....

good god thats a lot of nasty black oil! the pressure is so great that stream is horizontal to the ground when it first comes out...

Lets just say that if i wasnt sold on the Fumoto valve before, i was after that first oil change. No way in hell would i want to remove the plug again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlartibartfast View Post
I just installed a Fumoto drain valve - the model with the nipple you can attach a tube to. It's low-tech & efficient. I'm too lazy to use a wrench.....
Red_liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
Ditchd
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_liner740 View Post
Same here...unfortunately i had to do the first oil change the old fashioned style of opening the drain plug....

good god thats a lot of nasty black oil! the pressure is so great that stream is horizontal to the ground when it first comes out...

Lets just say that if i wasnt sold on the Fumoto valve before, i was after that first oil change. No way in hell would i want to remove the plug again...
Agree totally. I tend to be pretty careful and clean working but as you say that horizontal stream that goes everywhere lol
Unread 10-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
Mainsail
2005 WK 

I made this set-up out of a vacuum pump I got off the State auction and some old medical suction jars. I've used it to pull ATF out through the dipstick tube before pulling the pan (much less mess) and for sucking the diff fluid out of the front diff.

I wouldn't use it for oil just because it can't get the crud layer off the bottom of the oil pan. Draining is best for that.

Unread 10-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
Ditchd
2009 WK 

Excellent bit of kit. You've set the design side of my brain into action lol

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.