Glow Plug life - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Glow Plug life

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #1
roadman

Glow Plug life

How long should glow plugs last?

2007 CRD -- 15,040 miles, one glow plug out. Dealer ordered, will be replaced under warrenty.

How long should they last? Replace as preventive maintainence?

Μολὼν λάβε
roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
rsq41
2007 WK 

Longer than that I hope!?! Just wondering, did it throw a code or how did you know? Thanks
rsq41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
merlinTec

Hi
Don't just do 1 do them all if one goes it over loads the other and you will have a none stop issue.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 09-29-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
roadman

The check engine light came on. I live in Texas, so it hasn't been cold out. If it is warrenty, do I call the dealer and tell them to order 5 more and change them all out???

Μολὼν λάβε
Unread 09-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
merlinTec

Hi
Call them tell them in the UK there technical department says if one goes down it can damage the others and can they contact there technical department to see if they recommend the plugs to be changed as a set. If you where my customer you would get a set and under warranty.
Note: have you had a fuel filter change? just asking as the wire that goes under the bolt for the fuel filter is the earth for the glow plug module.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 09-29-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
roadman

No, have not had a fuel filter change. Not due for that for another 10,000 miles.

OK, will call them tomorrow and see what they say. Looks like they will have to order another 5.

Thanks for the info.

Todd

Μολὼν λάβε
Unread 09-30-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
TonyVideo

2008 WK 

How do you know if one glow plug goes out? Do you get a code? In warm weather you would never know until winter. 1 out of 6 would be hard to notice particularly if this is the first fall/winter for me since I have nothing to reference.
1985 Jeep Larado 4.0L Sold
TonyVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2008, 07:04 PM   #8
roadman

OK, first off the check engine light came on. Also, after starting the vehicle after the glow plug light went out, it came on again for 30 seconds. Went to the dealer and he pulled the code saying a glow plug was out. Vehicle is under warrenty.

Talked with the dealer and was told that Chrylser will only pay to replace the one glow plug that is out. He talked to some people and said that he was told they thought it shouldn't be a problem. Guess living in Texas having one go out isn't a problem. The light only stays on for a couple of seconds in the morning anyway. It isn't that cold here -- 70 degrees F at night, and gets to 90 during the day.

If I were in North Dakota in January, I could see it being a problem, but right now, not down here.

Μολὼν λάβε
Unread 09-30-2008, 11:21 PM   #9
rsq41
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman View Post
OK, first off the check engine light came on. Also, after starting the vehicle after the glow plug light went out, it came on again for 30 seconds.
Thanks for the symptoms description!

As far as service departments, are you working with one that actually has a trained CRD mechanic? Allegedly, these Texas area dealers sell and service Jeeps as well as Dodge Sprinter vans with the same motor:

BERRY CHRY-DODGE-JEEP 1971 EAST HWY 31 CORSICANA TX 75110 903-874-6548
DALLAS DODGE CHRYSLER JEEP 11550 LBJ FWY DALLAS TX 75238 214-327-9361
DODGE CITY OF MCKINNEY 700 S CENTRAL EXPY MCKINNEY TX 75070 972-569-9650
ELDER CHRYSLER-DODGE-JEEP 1798 EAST HIGHWAY 31 ATHENS TX 75751 903-677-2292
ELLIOTT CHRYSLER DODGE JEEP 928 W 16TH ST MT PLEASANT TX 75455 903-572-4371
HUFFINES CHRYSLER JEEP DODGE LEWIS 1024 SOUTH STEMMONS FRWY LEWISVILLE TX 75067 972-434-2288
WILLIAMS CHRYSLER DODGE JEEP 1015 FORT WORTH HIGHWAY WEATHERFORD TX 76086 817-596-0050

Full list of Sprinter dealers is here:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...terDealers.pdf

I have not had the opportunity to try this list out yet, but I have very high hopes for it...
rsq41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
eeeehaw
2008 WK 

Glow plug life

A failure of one glow plug does NOT shorten/affect the life of other glow plugs; that is an unsurprising myth instigated by repair shops to make more money off naïve customers. There is, however, a line of reasoning on how you may save some money over the long term by wholesale replacement of all of them when one fails (read on), depending upon WHEN the first one fails AND it's money out of your pocket (ie, not covered under warranty) AND you don't want to try DIY replacement.

I just had the 3rd glow plug on my 2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L V-6 diesel replaced yesterday after 90,000mi. The first one failed in 2010 at about 40,000mi. I grew up since the '60s with diesel cars (my father was a master diesel mechanic) and I don't recall witnessing such a short life on glow plugs before, but then these new ones heat up instantly whereas the old ones back then took nearly one minute before you could start the engine...ie, the heating stress is significantly more these days which may account for shorter life.

Remember, the purpose of a glow plug is to enable the diesel to burn when starting an engine that has not heated up to operating temperature yet. When you turn the ignition on, electric power is applied to the glow plugs and they quickly heat up to a cherry-red glow inside the cylinders, so that when the starter engages, the crankshaft begins turning and the fuel injectors squirt diesel into the cylinder, the fuel will begin burning to get the engine running (ie, piston compression is insufficient alone and needs that extra residual heat in the cylinder). This is particularly important when using biodiesel blends (biodiesel has a higher flash point compared to petrodiesel). After the engine has warmed up, the residual internal cylinder temperature is high enough to where the glow plugs are no longer needed, so they're turned off by the engine computer.

In order to get an extremely fast heat-up time for today's engines (consumer demand; it's annoying to have to wait 30-60 secs before cranking the engine), the glow plug's internal heating element must have a low resistance, thus allowing a lot of current to flow to produce more heat power (P=I*E, Ohm's law). This high power in the element eventually erodes it, and when it fails the element develops what amounts to a crack in it from the loss of resistive alloy, producing what EEs call an "open circuit".

Since my first one failed at 40K mi, second at 70K mi and third at 90K mi, I'll throw out the first as an anomaly, and average the second two to estimate average life expectancy at 80K mi. So, I'm expecting the remaining 3 in my engine to fail anytime now. IF you use that reasoning as a guide AND you don't do the plug replacement yourself each time, THEN you may want to consider the financial trade-off of getting all of them replaced by a repair shop IF the first one goes after 70K AND it's significantly less expensive for shop labor to just do the rest of them so that you essentially reset the clock. After all, glow plugs WILL ALL eventually fail at some point in the future...there's not avoiding it as the nature of the beast of how they work makes it inevitable. (Same is true for injectors, BTW, albeit for different reasons.)

The engine computer is designed to monitor the glow plugs for this glow plug open circuit condition, and when it occurs to one or more of them the "check engine" indicator lights up on your dash. You can easily confirm the problem if you have a "code scanner" to plug into the Car Area Network port under your dash, reading the code and doing a Bing/Google search for translation of the code. Sometimes, I've noticed a slight hesitation in starting my Jeep when a glow plug failure has occurred, esp if the outdoor temperature is below 40 deg.

FYI: I stumbled across this thread today while searching online for replacement glow plug parts. I used to get mine replaced under warranty, but that has now expired so it cost me $400 yesterday for that job. Since replacing a glow plug is not a lot more difficult than a spark plug, I'm gonna do it myself next time and have already found replacement plugs for my model for about $20 (Standard, Bosch, Beru make them).
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #11
52233majic

glow plugs.

i have 88,000 miles on my jeep and none of my glow plugs have failed, i guess i am due?
52233majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeehaw View Post
FYI: I stumbled across this thread today while searching online for replacement glow plug parts. I used to get mine replaced under warranty, but that has now expired so it cost me $400 yesterday for that job. Since replacing a glow plug is not a lot more difficult than a spark plug, I'm gonna do it myself next time and have already found replacement plugs for my model for about $20 (Standard, Bosch, Beru make them).
Thanks for the nice write up on the GPs. Where did you find them for $20.00 or is that a typo? Would be good to know since I am pushing 78,000 now.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #13
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

I had one glow plug replaced at about 70,000 miles (when it was about 3-4 years old) because the diagnostic code said it was out. The dealer replaced the plug and then there was a code that the control module was bad so it was replaced under the extended warranty.

We're now at 122,000 miles and haven't had any issues since then.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.